Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

After much research my conclusion on grinders is that in general the burr hand grinders take some beating. You need to be spending a lot of money on a mains powered one to get an equivalent quality and consistency of grind.
Hand grinding is all part of the ritual!

The grinders from "Made by Knock" are really truly excellent. I've a Feldgrind, although the Aergrind (a new model) fits inside the aeropress

Hand made by "a bloke in a shed" in Edinburgh: http://www.madebyknock.com/

However (in my view), best to buy from a 3rd party reseller as 'customer service' can be erratic if you order from the website. coffeeforums.co.uk has long threads on these grinders etc

one example of a 3rd party seller is below, but lots of others

https://machina-coffee.co.uk/collections/domestic-grinders

(but what beans?)

Last edited:
The grinders from "Made by Knock" are really truly excellent. I've a Feldgrind, although the Aergrind (a new model) fits inside the aeropress

However (in my view), best to buy from a 3rd party reseller as 'customer service' can be erratic if you order from the website. coffeeforums.co.uk has long threads on these grinders etc

(but what beans?)
I like the look of the "Knocks". But I don't think I can justify a fourth grinder!

Beans.... Kenya Peabody, bought green and roasted in a popcorn maker!

I use a tall Porlex Grinder with my AeroPress. It is a hand powered ceramic burr grinder, relatively expensive but with an excellent reputation for quality and longevity.

Seems we all like coffee a lot ...

@Jason wallace , the one with the Aeropress adaptor seems a good solution for grinding straight in the Aeropress .:thumb

(but what beans?)
The Aergrind lives permanently in the van now the Niche arrived a few weeks ago.
I use simple plastic funnel and pour over when traveling. Just as good as Aeropress, which I never use now, and a lot easier to clean. Good bean and good grinder is the key. Deciding on a Vesuvius or Bianca, these names should ring a bell for coffee heads.

@Teejay1 - If you can get past the aesthetics, then I'd go with the Vesuvius. Are you on CFUK? DaveC often comes up with some amazing deals on these.

What grinder are you pairing it with? The Niche?

Aergrind, Aeropress, PuckPuck, Volvic and LSOL bean stash live permanently in my bus. There are no excuses for bad coffee!

The Aergrind lives permanently in the va1 now the Niche arrived a few weeks ago.
I use simple plastic funnel and pour over when traveling. Just as good as Aeropress, which I never use now, and a lot easier to clean. Good bean and good grinder is the key. Deciding on a Vesuvius or Bianca, these names should ring a bell for coffee heads.

@Teejay1 - If you can get past the aesthetics, then I'd go with the Vesuvius. Are you on CFUK? DaveC often comes up with some amazing deals on these.

What grinder are you pairing it with? The Niche?

Aergrind, Aeropress, PuckPuck, Volvic and LSOL bean stash live permanently in my bus. There are no excuses for bad coffee!
The reason I bought the niche was based almost entirely on Dave's review. I see they were 4 Vesuvius from Paulo recently, tempted but will wait for now. If I ever bump into you, you'll have to give me a taste. I always have whisky with me.

Coffee with whisky chaser sounds like a cracking idea! What's your CFUK forum name? - I'll keep an eye out for you over there.

Great thread but it cost me money to read, having bought a metal filter for my Aeropress & a Rhinowares ceramic burr hand grinder with Aeropress adapter by the time I got to the end!!

P.S. Anyone tried the Prismo Pressure Filter in their Aeropress??

I also bought a metal filter for my Aeropress but found it didn't seem to work with my favourite coffee so I went back to using the paper ones.

I also bought a metal filter for my Aeropress but found it didn't seem to work with my favourite coffee so I went back to using the paper ones.
The problem I had with the the metal filter was that the mesh was not fine enough, so the water flow was too fast to allow much pressure and so under extracted coffee.

The problem I had with the the metal filter was that the mesh was not fine enough, so the water flow was too fast to allow much pressure and so under extracted coffee.
Have you tryed the upside down method ?
I do this as i like strong coffee even with paper filter.

Have you tryed the upside down method ?
I do this as i like strong coffee even with paper filter.
Yes, I always do it upside down. I’m surprised Aeropress don’t suggest the upside down method as the norm.

What's the upside down method? The obvious answer? :)

What's the upside down method? The obvious answer? :)
Push the two parts in each other and place up side down . Leave the filter part of , put in grind , pour in water.
Wait if you like strong coffee , stir a few times , put on filter .
Put mug on top and turn the whole thing arround , push through ....
There’s a movie online to show how to ....

Push the two parts in each other and place up side down . Leave the filter part of , put in grind , pour in water.
Wait if you like strong coffee , stir a few times , put on filter .
Put mug on top and turn the whole thing arround , push through ....
There’s a movie online to show how to ....
Ahh - I see - I'll try that. Thanks :thumb

(Must get round to reading the instructions sometime ....)

I’ve been considering. a leverpresso about 99dollars. They do a pressurised or non pressurised basket

I’ve been considering. a leverpresso about 99dollars. They do a pressurised or non pressurised basket
If the quality of construction is good that looks like a nice bit of kit. I like that it comes with the basket and tamper

Noo.... @MattBW , don’t bring on new stuff !
Making me buy things ....spending a fortune on coffeemakers

Back