Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The coffee thread

A new take on the Aeropress .....

Looking into getting an espresso machine in the Cali. I use a nespresso machine at home, and think the simplicity would make it ideal in the Cali.

Looking on the website I see that there are 2 small machines, the pixie and the inissia. Just wondering if any of you can spot what the difference is, apart from the price?

Also can't find any info on what power requirement is. It would be ideal if it could be run off the inverter socket, which if I recall correctly is limited to 300watts. Has anyone got one and can see what the input wattage is of the machine?

Thanks in advance

Hi
I am Italian hence qualified to talk with some authority on this ( ! )....

I use one of these ( photo attached ) they range from tiny (1/2 cup ) to huge (12 cups ) which is what the vast majority of Italians use at home.
If you are desperate for a cappuccino Bialetti also do a compact model that will do that ( easy to find on google )F572F66E-7BEF-4497-AC23-E2D83CCD2038.jpeg

I've just ordered a leverpresso, waiting on delivery now :D

This looks amazing!
I just ordered the Aeropress yesterday, but this is certainly on the list now.

Did you get it from their website?
Let us know the brewing results!

I ordered direct from their website, as it was almost double the price from amazon. Its currently in transit from Korea according to my tracking number. I may get customs charges, I will wait and see.

I've just ordered a leverpresso, waiting on delivery now :D

Just don’t invite friends round for a coffee, you’ll be in the kitchen all night! ;)

Just don’t invite friends round for a coffee, you’ll be in the kitchen all night! ;)

Just let it go in a round and let each make thiere own...:D

I sure looks like a solid strong coffee dripping out there...

Or just serve them instant with hot milk steamed to 1000 c . Why waste the beans they'll still say its as nice as Costa!

Just let it go in a round and let each make thiere own...:D

I sure looks like a solid strong coffee dripping out there...

So many people come to my house and I say what would you like?
Flat white, they will say. Now I didnt know how to make this until recently...
Whats that then? I would ask
I have no idea...

Turns out its similar to a latte with less milk. It was then I realised most places charge more for it :veryfunny

Well just done two brews with the Aeropress and I agree, this one is a winner!
Great coffee with espresso characteristics (depends on recipe I guess) and the clean-up compared to my usual Presso is a breeze!

Tomorrow morning it will be used on the Cali!

Well just done two brews with the Aeropress and I agree, this one is a winner!
Great coffee with espresso characteristics (depends on recipe I guess) and the clean-up compared to my usual Presso is a breeze!

Tomorrow morning it will be used on the Cali!

To me the clean up is also why i find the Aeropress a top thing to use in the Cali.
At home i mostly use a Italian espresso pot .

I've tried (borrowed from @MattBW ;)) the aeropress and way to much hassle an cleaning needed.

To me everything used while in the Cali should be as simple as possible and easy to store away (unbreakable)

A French press is aways a classic and also gives good result !

Asked what I wanted for my birthday, I replied a Nanopresso.

Well I only wanted a cup of coffee ....

EDA0793C-8E40-4662-ADEF-69E1A54BE41E.jpeg

I now need to decide if I want a Nespresso or loose ground, what flavour, double shot or single and what size basket and water tank to use! o_O I also need to go on a course to learn how to use it. :D

The leverpresso has arrived all the way from Korea.

First impressions sturdy design and metal parts. The plastic parts not quite so solid feeling but still good. Easy to use and clean. A lot larger but does a double shot as standard.

Getting the grind right will be key with this. First shot was a bit sour and leaky but second shot was pretty good once I sealed it properly and made a nice americano.

A800B50F-19B2-47BC-9D6B-A75ECD1A41C3.jpeg

33324636-CBE2-49A7-BBAB-2DC152ADC123.jpeg

It was good. The instructions recommend warming it through first but I used water straight off the boil (I know I shouldn’t) it took enough of the heat out but was still hot.

I got the pressurised basket which seemed ok.

Last edited:
Hi

I use one of these ( photo attached ) they range from tiny (1/2 cup ) to huge (12 cups ) which is what the vast majority of Italians use at home.
If you are desperate for a cappuccino Bialetti also do a compact model that will do that ( easy to find on google )View attachment 43357
I have a electric one of those it is good.

The leverpresso has arrived all the way from Korea.

First impressions sturdy design and metal parts. The plastic parts not quite so solid feeling but still good. Easy to use and clean. A lot larger but does a double shot as standard.

Getting the grind right will be key with this. First shot was a bit sour and leaky but second shot was pretty good once I sealed it properly and made a nice americano.

View attachment 43964

View attachment 43965
I’ve not heard of leverpresso. Does it work in a similar way to my Presso espresso machine? Just put hot/boiling water in the top, lift up side bars and gently press down.

Sorry tried to attach photo which didn’t work. Presso machine below.
3FF315A6-213A-4EA3-8179-FA40E8F3E674.jpeg

Looking into getting an espresso machine in the Cali. I use a nespresso machine at home, and think the simplicity would make it ideal in the Cali.

Looking on the website I see that there are 2 small machines, the pixie and the inissia. Just wondering if any of you can spot what the difference is, apart from the price?

Also can't find any info on what power requirement is. It would be ideal if it could be run off the inverter socket, which if I recall correctly is limited to 300watts. Has anyone got one and can see what the input wattage is of the machine?

Thanks in advance
Have you tried it yet? WOuld love to know if nespresso is the way forward. On mains hook up

Hi

If you are desperate for a cappuccino Bialetti also do a compact model that will do that ( easy to find on google )View attachment 43357
Just bought an additional 3-cup Bialetti (to keep in our Ocean) together with a Bialetti Frother which we used over the Easter weekend. Got perfect lattes and straight coffees with very little effort and very little clean up. It’s a very satisfying process too!

I’ve not heard of leverpresso. Does it work in a similar way to my Presso espresso machine? Just put hot/boiling water in the top, lift up side bars and gently press down.
Very similar but designed to pack away, you can get a foot for the bottom if you want it on a stand I thought I'd try it for a while before I do.

Add coffee, tamp, pour water in top, lift handles then press down. Similar to the Rok too I hear.

Nespresso for me isnt great coffee and creates a lot of waste pods which I can't support, mokka pots make the coffee taste too burnt for my taste. My Bellman stovetop is massive and too cumbersome to use and the Minipresso leaked everywhere. The oomph has been the most successful so far.

Hopefully this is the last in a long line of attempts at good coffee?

Back