New DVLA classification ?

• Thread starter Derrick’s dad
  • Start date
Paul_W

Paul_W

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I spoke to CMC this morning about amending my policy to cover a new California I am buying which will be registered as an MPV. It appears they have adapted their policy and will provide insurance, despite the DVLA classification as an MPV.
That’s great news! Should make things simpler for everyone going forward. CMC are very competitive and great policy cover so would have been a shame not to be able to insure with them :thumb

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Broch Hunter

Broch Hunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
That’s great news! Should make things simpler for everyone going forward. CMC are very competitive and great policy cover so would have been a shame not to be able to insure with them :thumb
A word of warning.

I sought clarification of the CMC new for old policy. Their wording suggests if a replacement vehicle of the same make/model is not available in the UK they will only pay out the market value at the time of the written off/stolen vehicle. I asked if they considered a T6.1 a new model compared to the T6 and the answer was yes. So in my case, buying an end of production T6, it means the CMC new for old feature is of no use as it is increasingly unlikely a new unregistered T6 could be found in UK stock and payment would be limited to market value. Has anyone received a different response from CMC?

J

JoeandMaggie

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I had my Cali delivered on Friday and this issue caused a modicum of concern before it’s arrival, it need not have, certainly not from an insurance aspect anyway. While it may have been a drama when it first came in, it appears not to be so much of one now. Insured with comfort, excellent cover, excellent price, no snags with the MPV thingy.

I’m chuffed with Bryan, and I don’t really mind what it says on the V5 that’s hidden away.

bigmac77

bigmac77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I had my Cali delivered on Friday and this issue caused a modicum of concern before it’s arrival, it need not have, certainly not from an insurance aspect anyway. While it may have been a drama when it first came in, it appears not to be so much of one now. Insured with comfort, excellent cover, excellent price, no snags with the MPV thingy.

I’m chuffed with Bryan, and I don’t really mind what it says on the V5 that’s hidden away.
Out of interest who are you insured with?

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The missing capital C in comfort/Comfort makes all the difference!:Iamsorry.... but I must agree dealing with Comfort is a comfortable experience!

gvick

gvick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
I picked up my brand new Ocean on Saturday and the V5 arrived on Monday.
My California has been registered as a ‘Transporter T30 TDI BMT’ with a Body Type of ‘MPV’.

I spoke to DVLA who told me it was registered online and the online system does not allow a Body Type to be specified, unlike the paper registration process which does.

I’ve asked the dealer to fix the V5 and hope this results in it being classified as Motor Home or Van w/side windows. Comfort insurance have insured me but given me 8 weeks to get the V5 fixed.

View attachment 48191

View attachment 48192
@Ian Maddocks did you ever get this resolved?
My June 2019 Ocean is the same registration as yours - thanks

Ian Maddocks

Ian Maddocks

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
@Ian Maddocks did you ever get this resolved?
My June 2019 Ocean is the same registration as yours - thanks
Yes, had to chase. SMT needed to get VW to make the change. V5 is now an Ocean but
1. still MPV
2. comes up as a Beach on some website

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Yes, had to chase. SMT needed to get VW to make the change. V5 is now an Ocean but
1. still MPV
2. comes up as a Beach on some website
-2. comes up as a Beach on some website .... Same here Dec 2109 !

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
-2. comes up as a Beach on some website .... Same here Dec 2109 !
Sites BUY a DVLA vehicle info pack periodically which can give out of date info.
This shows up if a Private Reg plate is transferred. My reg brought up my ex BMW for over a year on some sites.

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This thread has ‘freaked me out’. Our van 150 Ocean , reg April 2019 ( from new) is insured with Comfort. After reading this thread I checked the V5 which states MPV. When insuring with Comfort they said two options available and I should go for “Motorhome”. Now I’m in a quandary as to what’s what !!!

Gary&Heather

Gary&Heather

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
This thread has ‘freaked me out’. Our van 150 Ocean , reg April 2019 ( from new) is insured with Comfort. After reading this thread I checked the V5 which states MPV. When insuring with Comfort they said two options available and I should go for “Motorhome”. Now I’m in a quandary as to what’s what !!!
I would definitely be ringing them up and correcting the error if not just to inform them of what you have discovered should be okay then.

rod_vw

rod_vw

Vehicle
Motorhome
I would definitely be ringing them up and correcting the error if not just to inform them of what you have discovered should be okay then.
I have doubts that you will get any change unless the DVLA change the classification to 'Van with Windows'.
That is where those of us who convert VW Transporters to motor caravans are. The DVLA will not recognise a Transporter with an elevating roof, full windows and all the camper internals even with an awning as a Motor Caravan they will only issue a V5C with the body type 'Van with Windows'. This seems to apply to both self-builds and professional conversions.

Gary&Heather

Gary&Heather

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I have doubts that you will get any change unless the DVLA change the classification to 'Van with Windows'.
That is where those of us who convert VW Transporters to motor caravans are. The DVLA will not recognise a Transporter with an elevating roof, full windows and all the camper internals even with an awning as a Motor Caravan they will only issue a V5C with the body type 'Van with Windows'. This seems to apply to both self-builds and professional conversions.
Hi Rod
What I was trying to say is to ring the insurance company up and explain the situation about it being MPV and not motorhome which is what I had to do just in case there's any comeback in a claim.

B

BeeBee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Rod
What I was trying to say is to ring the insurance company up and explain the situation about it being MPV and not motorhome which is what I had to do just in case there's any comeback in a claim.
Hi, what was the outcome when you phoned your insurance company. We are with Comfort and our renewal is February 2021?

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Nice to see that they state these are not opinions but are facts & then go on to confuse matters by poor punctuation.

"Under Schedule 6 it states that the National Speed Limit applies to a passenger vehicle, a motorcaravan or a dual purpose vehicle not drawing a trailer – the vehicle must also not carry more than 8 passengers, have an unladen weight of over 3.05 tonnes and be less than 12m long. If you have a regular campervan such as a VW T6, T5 or T4 etc. then your van will fit within those criteria."

What they mean is that the van must have an unladen weight of UNDER 3.05 tonnes and must be less than 12m long.

VW California Club