Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New DVLA classification ?

• Thread starter Derrick’s dad
  • Start date
I would definitely be ringing them up and correcting the error if not just to inform them of what you have discovered should be okay then.
I have doubts that you will get any change unless the DVLA change the classification to 'Van with Windows'.
That is where those of us who convert VW Transporters to motor caravans are. The DVLA will not recognise a Transporter with an elevating roof, full windows and all the camper internals even with an awning as a Motor Caravan they will only issue a V5C with the body type 'Van with Windows'. This seems to apply to both self-builds and professional conversions.

I have doubts that you will get any change unless the DVLA change the classification to 'Van with Windows'.
That is where those of us who convert VW Transporters to motor caravans are. The DVLA will not recognise a Transporter with an elevating roof, full windows and all the camper internals even with an awning as a Motor Caravan they will only issue a V5C with the body type 'Van with Windows'. This seems to apply to both self-builds and professional conversions.
Hi Rod
What I was trying to say is to ring the insurance company up and explain the situation about it being MPV and not motorhome which is what I had to do just in case there's any comeback in a claim.

Hi Rod
What I was trying to say is to ring the insurance company up and explain the situation about it being MPV and not motorhome which is what I had to do just in case there's any comeback in a claim.
Hi, what was the outcome when you phoned your insurance company. We are with Comfort and our renewal is February 2021?

Nice to see that they state these are not opinions but are facts & then go on to confuse matters by poor punctuation.

"Under Schedule 6 it states that the National Speed Limit applies to a passenger vehicle, a motorcaravan or a dual purpose vehicle not drawing a trailer – the vehicle must also not carry more than 8 passengers, have an unladen weight of over 3.05 tonnes and be less than 12m long. If you have a regular campervan such as a VW T6, T5 or T4 etc. then your van will fit within those criteria."

What they mean is that the van must have an unladen weight of UNDER 3.05 tonnes and must be less than 12m long.

VW are responsible for registering the vehicle type. My dealership are in the process of obtaining the mythical "letter" to allow my Grand California 680 (that's a 6.8 meter motor home to all intent and purpose) to be registered as a motor caravan and PHG RATHER than, as it is, a MPV and diesel car! It is impossible to re-register correctly with DVLA using the photograph, web site route. Currently the road fund fee is nearly 500 quid per year rather than 160 per year so I rather understand the reluctance on behalf of the gov department to correct a manifestly obvious error...sigh

VW are responsible for registering the vehicle type. My dealership are in the process of obtaining the mythical "letter" to allow my Grand California 680 (that's a 6.8 meter motor home to all intent and purpose) to be registered as a motor caravan and PHG RATHER than, as it is, a MPV and diesel car! It is impossible to re-register correctly with DVLA using the photograph, web site route. Currently the road fund fee is nearly 500 quid per year rather than 160 per year so I rather understand the reluctance on behalf of the gov department to correct a manifestly obvious error...sigh
Leeb not quite sure what your saying. Your van GC 680 is/should be registered as a motor caravan PHGV = £160 road fund licence.
Sorry if I have miss understood.

Will

Currently it is registered as
Body type ....MPV
Taxation class....Diesel car
Thus a £485 per year road fund rather than £165....it's a cock up on the part of VW. I raised this issue as I have finally discovered that the only way to correct the cock up is to get VW Germany to send a letter to me acknowledging the error, for me to then forward to DVLA with the erroneous V5!!!...there is no other way of correcting this error. I am told that a number of early imported GCs were registered this way!

Currently it is registered as
Body type ....MPV
Taxation class....Diesel car
Thus a £485 per year road fund rather than £165....it's a cock up on the part of VW. I raised this issue as I have finally discovered that the only way to correct the cock up is to get VW Germany to send a letter to me acknowledging the error, for me to then forward to DVLA with the erroneous V5!!!...there is no other way of correcting this error. I am told that a number of early imported GCs were registered this way!
Oh sorry to hear, thought it was the dealer that registered the van? Well that’s what mine advised me. Mine was registered correctly, actually both mine ie 600 and 680 latest April 2021.

First registration is an electronic system which is completed by the manufacturer. The dealership simply use these details (infact they have no option but to use these details)..VW Germany just got it wrong with early imports. Hopefully it will be sorted before I lose another £320 when the VED becomes due on 1st November

Intresting
First registration is an electronic system which is completed by the manufacturer. The dealership simply use these details (infact they have no option but to use these details)..VW Germany just got it wrong with early imports. Hopefully it will be sorted before I lose another £320 when the VED becomes due on 1st November
when was yours first registered as I had one of the first 600’s March 2019 then the 680 April 2021 both registered as motor caravan.

Originally had the first 600 in the country January 2019 but rejected it as came with euro sockets and items of spec missing.

Well you are owed some money by someone.

Registered April 2020...had euro sockets but not an issue for us. I really hope I get some cash back!!

Back