Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Engine?

That's a good one, I haven't seen that one before. I would say that one is more evidence towards number 1 of @Velma's Dad post. Especially the bit about finding a bit of aluminium stuck in the piston top. Looks like it's big chunks in that case though rather than dust or whatever, might explain why it goes from bad to quick so fast.
Yep. We can scratch our chins and debate about varying aluminium traces in oil, what level is abnormal and what damage that might do, and about the lack of any good data on incidence levels etc etc.

But my (non-engineer's) brain simply looks at the those photos of coolers with big chunks ripped off the fins and thinks, well those chunks could only end up in one place. Fire great shards of anything metallic into a combustion chamber and major damage is almost inevitable. An EGR component that's capable of getting itself into that state under any operating conditions is (for me) evidence of a very problematic bit of design engineering.

I've booked my 180 in for an EGR replacement as a risk reducer.

Yep. We can scratch our chins and debate about varying aluminium traces in oil, what level is abnormal and what damage that might do, and about the lack of any good data on incidence levels etc etc.

But my (non-engineer's) brain simply looks at the those photos of coolers with big chunks ripped off the fins and thinks, well those chunks could only end up in one place. Fire great shards of anything metallic into a combustion chamber and major damage is almost inevitable. An EGR component that's capable of getting itself into that state under any operating conditions is (for me) evidence of a very problematic bit of design engineering.

Just a reminder that this last case of EGR failure on a 2016 180 was with a D EGR cooler. But maybe you would get at least 6 years’ protection by changing it.

Or you could simply fit a Tafmet and blank it, much cheaper option.

Back