Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Grand California Mattress. Finally.

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
As you know I have been trying to have a mattress manufactured for the 680 we’ll finally found someone that has made a brilliant job, haven’t slept on it yet.

They will make it up to your specifications ie mixture of materials, hard/soft looks like a proper mattress, our mattress is made with a 7cm deep high quality latex foam, with a 3cm wool topper layer. Cotton covering, with tape edged piping to close up the mattress. You can make the mattress to various thicknesses but slightly thicker than the VW offering.
Also had ours made like OEM in three sections to enable easy access to the boot/garage. Sure they will make one in 1 or 2 piece if you ask.

As my mattress is a few mm thicker and slightly wider the Brandrup fitted sheet’s still fit. With a squeeze but works with some manipulation to the elastic staps.

I will update you on comfort over the next couple of weeks.

They now have a template for the GC 680 and keen for a 600 if your interested Contact Tim or Karen Cheetham via the website. https://www.marinebedding.co.uk/Caravan-and-Motorhome-Bedding
1677253739688.jpeg
1677253702908.jpeg

As you know I have been trying to have a mattress manufactured for the 680 we’ll finally found someone that has made a brilliant job, haven’t slept on it yet.

They will make it up to your specifications ie mixture of materials, hard/soft looks like a proper mattress, our mattress is made with a 7cm deep high quality latex foam, with a 3cm wool topper layer. Cotton covering, with tape edged piping to close up the mattress. You can make the mattress to various thicknesses but slightly thicker than the VW offering.
Also had ours made like OEM in three sections to enable easy access to the boot/garage. Sure they will make one in 1 or 2 piece if you ask.

As my mattress is a few mm thicker and slightly wider the Brandrup fitted sheet’s still fit. With a squeeze but works with some manipulation to the elastic staps.

I will update you on comfort over the next couple of weeks.

They now have a template for the GC 680 and keen for a 600 if your interested Contact Tim or Karen Cheetham via the website. https://www.marinebedding.co.uk/Caravan-and-Motorhome-Bedding
View attachment 105277
View attachment 105276
Nice one Will, I look forward to hearing your thoughts regarding comfort.

Looks good Will. We have just ordered an Emma matress. It is small enough when delivered to bring on a flight, so we ca bring to Spain where our 680 has been stored for the winter. We will have to trim it around the inset, but should be more comfortable than the poorly fitting VW originals. Will update how we get on in early May when we start our summer trip

Nice one Will, I look forward to hearing your thoughts regarding comfort.
Thanks Tim looking forward to it, They are now looking for a 600 to take a template from!

Looks good Will. We have just ordered an Emma matress. It is small enough when delivered to bring on a flight, so we ca bring to Spain where our 680 has been stored for the winter. We will have to trim it around the inset, but should be more comfortable than the poorly fitting VW originals. Will update how we get on in early May when we start our summer trip
Morning, wow had no idea that they could be packed that small, hope all goes to plan with your Emma mattress.
The real turning point for me was 7 weeks touring Spain last year. We are off to Italy early June so will be a great test for it.

take care,

Will

Morning, wow had no idea that they could be packed that small, hope all goes to plan with your Emma mattress.
The real turning point for me was 7 weeks touring Spain last year. We are off to Italy early June so will be a great test for it.

take care,

Will
Morning Will
We were away for 16 weeks last year and felt tge mattress really needed to be improved. The Emma mattress is great to be able to bring with us. Hopefully it will be comfortable too!! Enjoy Italy

Hi, we have ordered a Duvalay hinged 2 piece mattress from their stand at the motorhome show, we need to check the measurements but thought I'd share as they have evolved from a previous template posted on here. Cheers
Gordie

Attachments

• VW GRAND CALIFORNIA 680 2020 SPLIT.pdf
    114 KB · Views: 50
Morning Will
We were away for 16 weeks last year and felt tge mattress really needed to be improved. The Emma mattress is great to be able to bring with us. Hopefully it will be comfortable too!! Enjoy Italy
Just a quick update on our Emma mattress. After 20 weeks away tge mattress was great. We had to trim it to fit but with a single piece mattress there are no gaps any more either around the sides or in the middle. The mattress is slightly thicker than the original VW one but no problem accessing windows and blinds. A much more comfortable trip this year compared to last year

Just a quick update on our Emma mattress. After 20 weeks away tge mattress was great. We had to trim it to fit but with a single piece mattress there are no gaps any more either around the sides or in the middle. The mattress is slightly thicker than the original VW one but no problem accessing windows and blinds. A much more comfortable trip this year compared to last year
Morning any photos as would be helpful to others wishing to do the same along with any costs

Morning any photos as would be helpful to others wishing to do the same along with any costs
Hi Jester

The cost was €300, but we bought it during a 50% sale, so was definitely good value. We bought the Diamond Degree Matress topper. It is 9cm thick and only weights 16kg. I am sorry I dont have any pictures. The van is in storage in Valencia now and we wont be back to it until early April next year. It is extremely comfortable, but does not have any splits so doesnt allow easy lifting of the beds but iin our three years of travel we have never had the need - access via the rear doors has always been enough.

John

Morning John,

thanks for your reply and detail, as as you the VW offering is very poor so your option as described is so helpful.
we stayed at a campsite last October just outside Valencia can’t remember the name but it was very close to a train station which was so helpful to get into Valencia. As you know when it rains out there it rains and the site flooded the flood overnight came to the centre caps of our wheels. A bit nerve wracking at the time, but the camp owners didn’t bat an eyelid.

Will

Hi Jester

The cost was €300, but we bought it during a 50% sale, so was definitely good value. We bought the Diamond Degree Matress topper. It is 9cm thick and only weights 16kg. I am sorry I dont have any pictures. The van is in storage in Valencia now and we wont be back to it until early April next year. It is extremely comfortable, but does not have any splits so doesnt allow easy lifting of the beds but iin our three years of travel we have never had the need - access via the rear doors has always been enough.

John
Hi John, thanks for the details, did you just cut it yourselves or have somebody do it? thanks

Morning John,

thanks for your reply and detail, as as you the VW offering is very poor so your option as described is so helpful.
we stayed at a campsite last October just outside Valencia can’t remember the name but it was very close to a train station which was so helpful to get into Valencia. As you know when it rains out there it rains and the site flooded the flood overnight came to the centre caps of our wheels. A bit nerve wracking at the time, but the camp owners didn’t bat an eyelid.

Will
Bloody hell Will that is something else!!!!

Hi John, thanks for the details, did you just cut it yourselves or have somebody do it? thanks
Good morning
I contacted Emma Mattress directly for advice on cutting but they wouldn’t help only to say it would invalidate the warranty!! So we just used a knife to cut it. We removed the cover and cut the mattress. We didn’t remove very much from the sides to make sure that it remained a tight fit with no gaps
John

Good morning
I contacted Emma Mattress directly for advice on cutting but they wouldn’t help only to say it would invalidate the warranty!! So we just used a knife to cut it. We removed the cover and cut the mattress. We didn’t remove very much from the sides to make sure that it remained a tight fit with no gaps
John
Thanks John!

Bloody hell Will that is something else!!!!
It was as we were up all night until it stopped early morning. Then the manager got out the smallest pump you have ever seen.

It was as we were up all night until it stopped early morning. Then the manager got out the smallest pump you have ever seen.
Not a pleasant experience I am sure. I am sure it was worrying to see the water levels rising during the night. You hear so many scary horror stories!!

Back