Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Mattress for our GC 680

FionaD

FionaD

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi everyone
We received our GC 680 back in September and have enjoyed many trips away, but unfortunately haven’t had one good nights sleep.
We found the original VW ‘three piece mattresses‘ was far to hard, not deep enough and they didn’t fit correctly with the 2 inch gaps between the individual mattresses.

We tried an air bed then a soft king size mattress topper and still found it uncomfortable.
After lots of research and trial runs with foam samples. We came to the decision to do away with the plastic spring plates and replace the metal framework ( keeping everything in case we decide to sell it) with a solid board.
A template was produced and we chose to make the mattress the full width of the van eliminating the gaps around windows and the edge of the mattress.
We now find ourselves with a lovely flat base and chose a full 100% natural latex mattress. It’s 150mm thick.
We also decided not to split the mattress in two as we haven’t had the need to raise the bed at all.
We are now sleeping on a cloud
Very productive week! Also had New BF Goodridge KO2’s fitted
Next job to replace the table for a smaller one

1B07BF56-28CA-4FD6-8101-C43CB0B2C446.jpeg

058C3379-6D5B-4983-B6A5-75386EC3F480.jpeg

209A1CBB-651C-47DE-BC06-9508DFC2A367.jpeg

32D4F930-4DB2-4A75-8B18-F067B7D43714.jpeg

CC76B5C2-CA77-47D6-913C-6DF303DF2AE4.jpeg

Very nice @FionaD the sleeping area looks very inviting! Surprised you have chosen to ditch the bed springs but your solution does look comfy. Beds are very much a personal thing at the end of the day.
I also very much like the wheels, are they 17”? Be good to know the tyre size you’ve gone for too, looking for inspiration for mine (when it finally arrives!). Enjoy, looks spot on!

Hi everyone
We received our GC 680 back in September and have enjoyed many trips away, but unfortunately haven’t had one good nights sleep.
We found the original VW ‘three piece mattresses‘ was far to hard, not deep enough and they didn’t fit correctly with the 2 inch gaps between the individual mattresses.

We tried an air bed then a soft king size mattress topper and still found it uncomfortable.
After lots of research and trial runs with foam samples. We came to the decision to do away with the plastic spring plates and replace the metal framework ( keeping everything in case we decide to sell it) with a solid board.
A template was produced and we chose to make the mattress the full width of the van eliminating the gaps around windows and the edge of the mattress.
We now find ourselves with a lovely flat base and chose a full 100% natural latex mattress. It’s 150mm thick.
We also decided not to split the mattress in two as we haven’t had the need to raise the bed at all.

View attachment 87349

View attachment 87350

View attachment 87351

View attachment 87352

View attachment 87353
Hey, Fiona.
Like you, Ross and I didn’t get along with the three-piece mattress: we swapped it for a two piece but I am very impressed with your solution.✅

Very nice @FionaD the sleeping area looks very inviting! Surprised you have chosen to ditch the bed springs but your solution does look comfy. Beds are very much a personal thing at the end of the day.
I also very much like the wheels, are they 17”? Be good to know the tyre size you’ve gone for too, looking for inspiration for mine (when it finally arrives!). Enjoy, looks spot on!
Thank you.
The wheels are Delta Bead lock the tyre sizes are 245/70/17
They are BF Goodridge KO2 and they do not rub at all and they are the correct load rating for the vehIcle. Have you been given a date when yours will arrive?

Hey, Fiona.
Like you, Ross and I didn’t get along with the three-piece mattress: we swapped it for a two piece but I am very impressed with your solution.✅
The three piece definitely wasn’t a good fit

Thank you.
The wheels are Delta Bead lock the tyre sizes are 245/70/17
They are BF Goodridge KO2 and they do not rub at all and they are the correct load rating for the vehIcle. Have you been given a date when yours will arrive?
Thanks Fiona, they look great. Gives me something to think about.
I don’t yet have a firm build date, it’s been 4 months since I placed my order. I was told to expect 4 months from order to delivery when I placed it, but the world of manufacturing is far from normal currently due to component supply, so who knows!

I don’t yet have a firm build date, it’s been 4 months since I placed my order. I was told to expect 4 months from order to delivery when I placed it, but the world of manufacturing is far from normal currently due to component supply, so who knows!
They also seem to have done away with the sport mode selection On the gear box for some reason, due to supply issues.

They also seem to have done away with the sport mode selection On the gear box for some reason, due to supply issues.
Must admit I didn’t know it had a sport mode! (Well it probably hasn’t now!)

Fingers crossed you don’t have to wait too much longer… you’ll have lots of exciting adventures to look forward to in 2022

I was hoping 4 months, Cali Chris latest update.
Looks like I will catch the 3.8% increase.
Ordered 21st 0ct so if you've not heard anything I've got a few months yet.

I was hoping 4 months, Cali Chris latest update.
Looks like I will catch the 3.8% increase.
Ordered 21st 0ct so if you've not heard anything I've got a few months yet.
I have a "provisional" build week of mid April, so probably looking at 9 - 10 months from order which is clearly at odds with the recent leadtime info from Cali Chris.

what have you ordered?
Have you ordered a lot of micro chip delaying options?

Hi everyone

View attachment 87349

View attachment 87350

View attachment 87351

View attachment 87352

View attachment 87353
Hi Fiona,

Where did you get your mattress from, if you don’t mind me asking.
I am looking at getting a new single piece one. I have always found memory foam too hot so interested in the latex option. Was it a lot more expensive than the memory foam ones?
Can’t put a price on comfort.

Hi Fiona,

Where did you get your mattress from, if you don’t mind me asking.
I am looking at getting a new single piece one. I have always found memory foam too hot so interested in the latex option. Was it a lot more expensive than the memory foam ones?
Can’t put a price on comfort.

Hi
It was purchased from Foam For Comfort Ltd .
Yes it was very expensive .
We ordered the 100% latex mattres, combination of 2” latex soft top and 4 “latex medium base. Also mattress protector it cost £1,619.00

1086B808-22F1-4045-886A-EB9A4F5FA8EF.jpeg
Took a bit of a gamble on getting a mattress without trying it out. Decided to go for duvalay pocket sprung. Bit of a task getting it in through the back door but delighted to get rid of the cutaway and the gaps. Also a fitted sheet. I seem to manage to pull the flat sheet out every night. Looking forward to first sleep. Almost tempted to sleep on it in the driveway

View attachment 91603
Took a bit of a gamble on getting a mattress without trying it out. Decided to go for duvalay pocket sprung. Bit of a task getting it in through the back door but delighted to get rid of the cutaway and the gaps. Also a fitted sheet. I seem to manage to pull the flat sheet out every night. Looking forward to first sleep. Almost tempted to sleep on it in the driveway
That looks really comfortable! Where did you get it from and how much may I ask? How long did you wait?

Duvalay. I went for the luxe pocket spring one rather than memory foam. They have the grand California sizes and can do in 1 or 2 pieces. They send a cad drawing for you to confirm. I just got them to fill in the cutaway. They confirmed it with another drawing and that was it. Was trying to avoid needing to send a template which some other companies wanted. £750 for mattress. The sheets etc add up but think it will be worth it. It’s a fair weight and getting in place with only the help of a hungover wife with limited upper body strength was both frustrating and entertaining.
It’s very comfy and I’d say medium to firm which I like. Can put the topper I had back on it but might end up blocking out the windows. The mattress 20cm deep I think.

FADC5766-441B-433E-B350-7218A654739E.jpeg

3 weeks from order to delivery. They said 4-5 at time of order

Duvalay. I went for the luxe pocket spring one rather than memory foam. They have the grand California sizes and can do in 1 or 2 pieces. They send a cad drawing for you to confirm. I just got them to fill in the cutaway. They confirmed it with another drawing and that was it. Was trying to avoid needing to send a template which some other companies wanted. £750 for mattress. The sheets etc add up but think it will be worth it. It’s a fair weight and getting in place with only the help of a hungover wife with limited upper body strength was both frustrating and entertaining.
It’s very comfy and I’d say medium to firm which I like. Can put the topper I had back on it but might end up blocking out the windows. The mattress 20cm deep I think.

View attachment 91604
Excellent, thanks for that. Hopefully they have the GC600 size.
Anyone in particular to speak to?

Cheers.

They were all pretty helpful. I just called filled out an enquiry on the website but to be honest I would just call them. They seemed pretty clued up. The first person I spoke to dealt with it very competently. I also told them when I was after it for as had some trips booked and they managed to get it to me in good time. The delivery company they used were also good.
Pretty sure they had the GC600 as they asked me which model it was.

They were all pretty helpful. I just called filled out an enquiry on the website but to be honest I would just call them. They seemed pretty clued up. The first person I spoke to dealt with it very competently. I also told them when I was after it for as had some trips booked and they managed to get it to me in good time. The delivery company they used were also good.
Pretty sure they had the GC600 as they asked me which model it was.
Thanks, will give them a try next week.

How much!
here’s ours it’s a Dorma memory foam topper £190 and the home made step.

7926BB44-B9F4-4236-BD5C-8263A596BCE0.jpeg

BC1090ED-45C3-494D-8E65-F176463C4236.jpeg

71FCC36D-D073-4AF8-B267-A8E44F136C9B.jpeg

I think a step might be required.
I really wanted to get rid of the cutaway. I found our topper and duvet sank into it during the night. Also after a few months of the topper (albeit not memory foam) being compressed I could feel the gaps in the mattress below.
I figure if I am away every other weekend for a couple of nights and some two week trips it’s worthwhile making the bed as comfy as possible. I thought compared to the cost of standard sized superking mattresses for the house it was pretty reasonable. I’ve always found the cost of toppers quite expensive compared to fully sprung mattresses but usually manage to find one in TK Maxx. The sheets seem expensive for what they are but it if saves me waking up with it having come untucked it’s worth it.

Last edited:
Back