Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New I have a build date what’s next?

Dodge1311

Dodge1311

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Now I have my confirmed build date. Its time to start buying some essentials. I held off till we had a confirmed date, but now I have one I am panicking as lots of items are out of stock.

We sold our caravan two years ago, and all my bits and pieces are long gone as I never thought I would forego hotels again So we are starting from scratch.

What bits and pieces come with the van on delivery? I don’t see it listed anywhere but I would have thought EHU cable would be included but don’t know for sure.

It s an Ocean 4 Motion we are getting and I want to get all the essentials and probably the luxury’s before we head out for the first time so I need to get started now. We are two adults only, but will probably sleep one upstairs and one down if space is tight. I don’t want our first trip to be a disaster because we forgot something so my current list may seem a bit excessive, but that’s OK for me, if I have to sell stuff on later I will do.

Gas bottle
Blinds/curtains/fly screens. Do we need any what’s included?
Seat covers, I have seen lots of posts, but I would really like recommendations for any that can give a premium feel with accents in a blue to match the exterior? Once fitted I want them in situ permanently.
Toilet, I am going for the 335, but it looks like the tray and strap kit are out of stock, so its going to be under the rear shelf for now.
Geyser or other type of hot water producing device that I can connct to my shower output ( will probably not be used but again it the right situation its a luxury essential) I can’t seem to find any in stock though Any ideas I see an austrailian brand that is rechargable which would be ideal but have no way of ordering one.
Ridge monkey x 2 one XL and the other one will the separate compartments.
Connection kit for cadac.
Bedding, where do I get cotton fitted sheets for upstairs and downstairs? I ordered the VW comfort mattress which in hindsight may have been a mistake but that’s what we will start with.
Sleeping bags or duvets? I want good quality that will stay in the van rather than in and out of the house.
Charging cables and adaptors, its quite baffling to understand exactly where every socket might be but assume their will be plenty.
Spare wheel lock, seem extreme but its a low cost item.
Inverter for bike charger?
Pop-top cover. Something I never considered before I found this forum. I would if possible like an internal fitted one that could stay in place, but still want to be able to open the vents? I suspect if I bought the external one it would never get fitted.
Winscreen cover. Are these really necessary again I would like to avoI’d if possible external additions, but if no internal solution exists then I will have to give an external one a go.
Wind deflectors/window vents.I quite like the look of the side window vents, but when travelling where do you hide these away, wind deflectors seem like they are fit and leave, then drop a window an inch and your all set, do I really need the side vents?
Awning? This is a minefield, it doesn’t need to be huge, but should be air beam type, with a clip in ground sheet, putting up will be a one man job, and the drive away connection should be as simple as possible to connect/disconnect.
Crockery and utensils, we had melamine before, but bamboo seems popular these days? What fits well in the available space?
Extra storage solutions? Are items in the shop listed for the T5/6 interchangeable with the 6.1 Ocean or should this be specified. I was thinking specifically the seat back and bench storage pouches listed?
Chopping board, I see the one that fits the sink in the shop is this the best idea.
Corner shelf for cups of tea, as above is this the best option.
Wardrobe storage solutions, we intend to have the van in an always ready state, so we will have clothing toiletries etc dedicated that stay in the van. Any recommendations on storage solutions, this will primarily be outdoor were, so we don’t need to worry about looking our best.

I am sure their are many other items, but thats my starting list, so hopefully you will be able to help with recommendations. It will be used as an accaisional driver ( I work from home now) but more importantly as a weekend/few days residence for travel in the UK and EU. It will be primarily camping in locations where facilities are minimal if any at all with the exception of fresh water supply which we will always have access to, so while the trips will be short in duration, I want to make sure we have all our bases covered, as we would like to eat and sleep with a degree of comfort.

Additiorally does anyone know the best sites to preorder from for out of stock items? I want to get as much on order as possible as early as possible but lots that I have tired just have an “out of stock” with no option to order.

Any tips or hints much appreciated.

Well, this post sounds a little frantic...

If you "don’t want our first trip to be a disaster" then chill out and enjoy your first trip for what it'll be... You’ll never have all the bases covered, most on this site would recommend you to use what you already have in the house, and in time you'll work out what you want/need.

You'll need a gas bottle, and an EHU cable. Try the search bar of the site for recommendations.

Now I have my confirmed build date. Its time to start buying some essentials. I held off till we had a confirmed date, but now I have one I am panicking as lots of items are out of stock.

We sold our caravan two years ago, and all my bits and pieces are long gone as I never thought I would forego hotels again So we are starting from scratch.

What bits and pieces come with the van on delivery? I don’t see it listed anywhere but I would have thought EHU cable would be included but don’t know for sure.

It s an Ocean 4 Motion we are getting and I want to get all the essentials and probably the luxury’s before we head out for the first time so I need to get started now. We are two adults only, but will probably sleep one upstairs and one down if space is tight. I don’t want our first trip to be a disaster because we forgot something so my current list may seem a bit excessive, but that’s OK for me, if I have to sell stuff on later I will do.

Gas bottle
Blinds/curtains/fly screens. Do we need any what’s included?
Seat covers, I have seen lots of posts, but I would really like recommendations for any that can give a premium feel with accents in a blue to match the exterior? Once fitted I want them in situ permanently.
Toilet, I am going for the 335, but it looks like the tray and strap kit are out of stock, so its going to be under the rear shelf for now.
Geyser or other type of hot water producing device that I can connct to my shower output ( will probably not be used but again it the right situation its a luxury essential) I can’t seem to find any in stock though Any ideas I see an austrailian brand that is rechargable which would be ideal but have no way of ordering one.
Ridge monkey x 2 one XL and the other one will the separate compartments.
Connection kit for cadac.
Bedding, where do I get cotton fitted sheets for upstairs and downstairs? I ordered the VW comfort mattress which in hindsight may have been a mistake but that’s what we will start with.
Sleeping bags or duvets? I want good quality that will stay in the van rather than in and out of the house.
Charging cables and adaptors, its quite baffling to understand exactly where every socket might be but assume their will be plenty.
Spare wheel lock, seem extreme but its a low cost item.
Inverter for bike charger?
Pop-top cover. Something I never considered before I found this forum. I would if possible like an internal fitted one that could stay in place, but still want to be able to open the vents? I suspect if I bought the external one it would never get fitted.
Winscreen cover. Are these really necessary again I would like to avoI’d if possible external additions, but if no internal solution exists then I will have to give an external one a go.
Wind deflectors/window vents.I quite like the look of the side window vents, but when travelling where do you hide these away, wind deflectors seem like they are fit and leave, then drop a window an inch and your all set, do I really need the side vents?
Awning? This is a minefield, it doesn’t need to be huge, but should be air beam type, with a clip in ground sheet, putting up will be a one man job, and the drive away connection should be as simple as possible to connect/disconnect.
Crockery and utensils, we had melamine before, but bamboo seems popular these days? What fits well in the available space?
Extra storage solutions? Are items in the shop listed for the T5/6 interchangeable with the 6.1 Ocean or should this be specified. I was thinking specifically the seat back and bench storage pouches listed?
Chopping board, I see the one that fits the sink in the shop is this the best idea.
Corner shelf for cups of tea, as above is this the best option.
Wardrobe storage solutions, we intend to have the van in an always ready state, so we will have clothing toiletries etc dedicated that stay in the van. Any recommendations on storage solutions, this will primarily be outdoor were, so we don’t need to worry about looking our best.

I am sure their are many other items, but thats my starting list, so hopefully you will be able to help with recommendations. It will be used as an accaisional driver ( I work from home now) but more importantly as a weekend/few days residence for travel in the UK and EU. It will be primarily camping in locations where facilities are minimal if any at all with the exception of fresh water supply which we will always have access to, so while the trips will be short in duration, I want to make sure we have all our bases covered, as we would like to eat and sleep with a degree of comfort.

Additiorally does anyone know the best sites to preorder from for out of stock items? I want to get as much on order as possible as early as possible but lots that I have tired just have an “out of stock” with no option to order.

Any tips or hints much appreciated.
Lot’s on your list and you’ll probably have a few months to think about them whilst waiting for delivery of your van.
You’ll definitely need an EHU cable. Most go for 25m. Also a UK adapter for hooking up at home (the van is only supplied with a 2-pin EU adapter).
Camingaz 907 ((and maybe a 2nd one (or 904) for your Cadac)).
Due to your wait time (and Covid) doubt you’ll be using the van until the weather gets warmer so I wouldn’t prioritise thermal covers for windscreen or poptop.
Depends on your agility but maybe a ladder for ‘upstairs’ access?
One thing i’m really glad we bought for our Ocean was a rear slide out tray. Makes access to stuff in the space under the bed board really convenient.
It’s fun planning what to get for your new adventure and you’ll pick up lots of hints and tips on this forum - I know we did.

Lot’s on your list and you’ll probably have a few months to think about them whilst waiting for delivery of your van.
You’ll definitely need an EHU cable. Most go for 25m. Also a UK adapter for hooking up at home (the van is only supplied with a 2-pin EU adapter).
Due to your wait time (and Covid) doubt you’ll be using the van until the weather gets warmer so I wouldn’t prioritise thermal covers for windscreen or poptop.
One thing i’m really glad we bought for our Ocean was a rear slide out tray. Makes access to stuff in the space under the bed board really convenient.
It’s fun planning what to get for your new adventure and you’ll pick up lots of hints and tips on this forum - I know we did.
Good advice from GG, as he is a shopping expert.

Blimey that is a long list of questions!! You might be best to try the search function. But as others have said, try it for a bit first and you’ll soon start to realise what you do and don’t want. No trip will be a “disaster” - it can just be improved on!

Run out of things to buy now though :)
Unless I buy an Eriba !!
Still hoping to see your list. You seemed to put a lot of research into each item, so expecting it to be the gold standard.

Still hoping to see your list. You seemed to put a lot of research into each item, so expecting it to be the gold standard.
I’ll do you a list at some point NessL.
Don’t know about gold standard though, i’m in no way a seasoned California user. What’s the expression? - All the gear, no idea :)

Unlike others, I bought everything up front. I thought about how I was going to use the van and bought stuff based on that. Not regretted anything. Others have done differently. But camping alone with dogs, I wanted to make sure I had all I needed up front.

Unlike others, I bought everything up front. I thought about how I was going to use the van and bought stuff based on that. Not regretted anything. Others have done differently. But camping alone with dogs, I wanted to make sure I had all I needed up front.
Same here, bar the camping alone with dogs bit :)

Storage space is very limited and therefore question where an item will go and also consider where it will be on a wet windy night when it cannot go outside.

I do have both summer and winter windscreen + door covers but recently bought one of these for a simple sun shade. Black on one side and silver on the other. Not a perfect fit but cheap and quality good. Compact for storage.

On the rear slide out tray subject, should i buy the one that covers the full width of the van or the one that's 2/3rd's ish? I was thinking the full width would be better. I already have the extra storage drawer under the bench seat, so i have already decided i wont be thru loading long items. Can someone direct me to the correct link for the full width tray if possible?

On the rear slide out tray subject, should i buy the one that covers the full width of the van or the one that's 2/3rd's ish? I was thinking the full width would be better. I already have the extra storage drawer under the bench seat, so i have already decided i wont be thru loading long items. Can someone direct me to the correct link for the full width tray if possible?
OK, if you’re buying a 6.1 Ocean that has the ‘lounge bed’ function you need the slide out tray version that is 710mm deep (unless you’re happy to have a gap between the back of the bench seat and the bed board).

Attachments

• 032CE0D9-442B-4DFD-A72C-966ACCDC1005.png
    032CE0D9-442B-4DFD-A72C-966ACCDC1005.png
    281 KB · Views: 25
Storage space is very limited and therefore question where an item will go and also consider where it will be on a wet windy night when it cannot go outside.
This is good avice.

This post has got me panicing as Ive not bought anything practical yet only nice stuff!
So Ive gone onto the Shop to start getting my act together with things like the potti, bungee, ridge monkey etc, but how do I get the VIP code please??!
Im just checking how my build week 51 is coming along now?!?

This post has got me panicing as Ive not bought anything practical yet only nice stuff!
So Ive gone onto the Shop to start getting my act together with things like the potti, bungee, ridge monkey etc, but how do I get the VIP code please??!
Im just checking how my build week 51 is coming along now?!?
Hi Jenny H,
If you go into the VIP Lounge and then VIP Discounts you’ll find the shop discount code in - CLUB SHOP: CAMPERVANBITS VIP DISCOUNT CODE

Back