Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 options - a couple of questions?

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We are putting together our wish list for our first VW California to get a quote. Not seen a T6.1 only videos so some of the options we have no idea what they are or look like. The idea is this will be with us for a few years so want to ensure we have what we think will be useful but don't want to spec everything :)

1. Safe box, any photos what this is or where it is and if useful (we do tow an Eriba caravan, so keep some items in there)
2. Tyre pressure monitoring system (new option I think on the T6.1) tells you type pressure on each wheel
3. Laminated heated front windscreen - expensive but dealer recommended this?
4. Navigation system Discover media pro - looks like a larger touch display - has anyone seen this?
5. Storage compartment package - think this is an additional compartment under the bench seat so you will not be able put long items underneath the seat, also includes a storage net, anyone know anything about this?

Thank you for any help/advice :)

I think the storage pack will be definitely a good option after owning a few calis I have never used the space where that drawer goes, once I put my windbreakers down there but bought new ones that had split poles so never used it again
I put storage boxes in the boot so this makes that small space redundant.
The sat nav pro is a bigger screen with NO buttons this could be annoying??????
Also a fingerprint magnet,????
Heated screen I would think is a good addition but an expensive option for the amount of time you will use it?????
I think you get a standard tyre pressure monitor anyway so I personally wouldn’t spec that!
Hope that helps slightly after owning a handful of Cali’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
There are still brand new T6’s available at dealerships with big discounts. Save yourself about £10000 and buy one of them, you might not get the exact spec you want but that is a lot of money in anyone’s book.

T6.1 is brand new, so you’d be lucky to find anyone who’s seen one with all the options you mentioned.

Based on the current T6,

1. Safe box is inside the wardrobe, on the floor. I wanted one but have never used it now I have one.
2. Tyre pressure monitoring system. Will show when the tyre pressure drops, useful but not essential if you naturally check that sort of thing regularly. (I don’t)
3. Laminated heated front windscreen - I really like this and would say it nice to have.
4. Navigation system Discover media pro - different on the new T6.1, but YouTube videos cover this off and show you the differences.
5. Storage compartment package - you can never have too much storage, so well worth considering.

No idea what these options cost on the new model. It really comes down to what you think is good value. Personally, I’d go with everything apart from the safe, as long as they weren’t too silly on price.

If prices are silly, then probably 3 and 5 only. Number 4 would warrant further investigation.

Thank you for your replies, very help

Thank you for your replies, very help
All vehicles sold in the EU have to have a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, by Law.

Mandatory tyre-pressure monitoring systems in EU
16/11/2012

Starting from 1st November 2012 all new car models to be phased in the European Community should have integrated tyre-pressure monitoring systems. This obligation, adopted in the US since 2008, represents important news in terms of car safety. A market survey lead by Goodyear Dunlop shows that at least 73% of the persons interviewed don't know the correct pressure of their tyres in the various drive conditions. Integrated system can be direct or indirect. The first ones, also called TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System), detect actual tyre pressure thanks to sensors (inside or outside each tyre). These sensors can detect pressure both on parked vehicles and in driving conditions.
The seconds, called indirect TPMS or DDS (Deflation Detection System) detect pressure by checking the rolling speed of each tyre. A flat tyre has indeed a smaller diameter than a properly inflated one. These differences are shown by ABS/ESC wheel speed sensors.

The T5.1 and T6 have an Indirect TPMS,

The T6.1 has the paid for Option of a Direct TPMS which is another system to go wrong and I don’t know if the sensor might have to be replaced each time you have a puncture/blowout.

All vehicles sold in the EU have to have a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, by Law.

Mandatory tyre-pressure monitoring systems in EU
16/11/2012

Starting from 1st November 2012 all new car models to be phased in the European Community should have integrated tyre-pressure monitoring systems. This obligation, adopted in the US since 2008, represents important news in terms of car safety. A market survey lead by Goodyear Dunlop shows that at least 73% of the persons interviewed don't know the correct pressure of their tyres in the various drive conditions. Integrated system can be direct or indirect. The first ones, also called TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System), detect actual tyre pressure thanks to sensors (inside or outside each tyre). These sensors can detect pressure both on parked vehicles and in driving conditions.
The seconds, called indirect TPMS or DDS (Deflation Detection System) detect pressure by checking the rolling speed of each tyre. A flat tyre has indeed a smaller diameter than a properly inflated one. These differences are shown by ABS/ESC wheel speed sensors.

The T5.1 and T6 have an Indirect TPMS,

The T6.1 has the paid for Option of a Direct TPMS which is another system to go wrong and I don’t know if the sensor might have to be replaced each time you have a puncture/blowout.
Tyre pressure sensor is usually attached to the rim so not tyre replacement related, whether a heavy handed tyre fitter could damage it??

Actual tyre pressure monitor; A good option as I've had false pressure warnings on most trips on the ABS sensor based system on my T6.

Tyre pressure sensor is usually attached to the rim so not tyre replacement related, whether a heavy handed tyre fitter could damage it??

Actual tyre pressure monitor; A good option as I've had false pressure warnings on most trips on the ABS sensor based system on my T6.
Problematic if you don’t carry a spare wheel as the Foam kits often gum up the sensor and you would need a set for winter wheels as well, Also can frequently be damaged in punctures or by tyre replacement but only £50 to replace IF the garage/tyre shop has the correct replacement.
Personally, never had a problem with the Indirect TPMS.