Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Build date fiasco from VW

PhilR

PhilR

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
So after ordering in September we finally got an unconfirmed build date of week 10 last Friday. Time to celebrate? Sadly not, as today VW Chat have now said our unconfirmed build date is now week 23 :mad:
What are they playing at? We were originally told (by the dealer) delivery by the end of 2020, then March 2021, now August/September??? This is ridiculous now and I have to be honest and say I'm now seriously starting to doubt the whole thing. I've been really positive and excited about it for ages, but these setbacks are diminishing my enthusiasm for sure. Had a bad day at work today so it wasn't the best time to find out this news, so I'll sleep on it but at this moment in time I'm seriously considering pulling the plug...

Anyone else feel let down by VW too? This is very poor CS. I've not had one phone call from my dealer since ordering, I've done all the chasing. I'm going to email him tomorrow and be polite but I'll certainly express my anger/disappointment - not that they'll care. I'm not important, I'm only spending £75k+ :rolleyes:

I've had BMW's and Audi's in the past and the ownership experience (apart from the rip-off servicing!) has been exceptional, as has the build quality, ride, reliability, performance and overall running costs. If only BMW made a Campervan......

Wow sorry to hear that, you must be flippin fuming :rage week 23 ? August/September? That's wiping out the summer as well! and mean nearly a year's lead time. Is it the whole 204 fiasco ?
As bad as it all is I'd still wait it out ..they might even pull the build date a bit nearer...

Yup ordered in 1st week of September and still do not have a confirmed build date. Was ending Jan but unconfirmed then codes went back to ‘no data’ and the dealer was to get back to me (and 4 other Cali orders in the same situation). I will have to chase again this week as they never come back to me proactively. VW customer Service is shocking. luckily I didn’t sell my ‘78 Westy I may still need it for the season at this rate . Really frustrating.

I’m sitting here typing words that I realise are useless... as is your VW experience. I’m totally shocked by this...

So after ordering in September we finally got an unconfirmed build date of week 10 last Friday. Time to celebrate? Sadly not, as today VW Chat have now said our unconfirmed build date is now week 23 :mad:
What are they playing at? We were originally told (by the dealer) delivery by the end of 2020, then March 2021, now August/September??? This is ridiculous now and I have to be honest and say I'm now seriously starting to doubt the whole thing. I've been really positive and excited about it for ages, but these setbacks are diminishing my enthusiasm for sure. Had a bad day at work today so it wasn't the best time to find out this news, so I'll sleep on it but at this moment in time I'm seriously considering pulling the plug...

Anyone else feel let down by VW too? This is very poor CS. I've not had one phone call from my dealer since ordering, I've done all the chasing. I'm going to email him tomorrow and be polite but I'll certainly express my anger/disappointment - not that they'll care. I'm not important, I'm only spending £75k+ :rolleyes:

I've had BMW's and Audi's in the past and the ownership experience (apart from the rip-off servicing!) has been exceptional, as has the build quality, ride, reliability, performance and overall running costs. If only BMW made a Campervan......
So sorry for you, I ordered a similar vehicle 17 Aug so I fear what my build date might be...if I hear anything I will post it.

Wow sorry to hear that, you must be flippin fuming :rage week 23 ? August/September? That's wiping out the summer as well! and mean nearly a year's lead time. Is it the whole 204 fiasco ?
As bad as it all is I'd still wait it out ..they might even pull the build date a bit nearer...
Apparently it's the 204 thing yes....VW and emissions problems, who'd have thought.....

Shocking. I’m convinced that VW’s prioritisation has now flipped from UK orders to EU orders. UK seemed to be prioritised in the run up to the Brexit deadline at the expense of our EU friends. Maybe VW is now redressing the balance?

VW Commercial Vehicles UK and VW Germany made my buying experience the worst purchase. Apart from the house, the most we have ever spent on anything. FORTY EIGHT weeks, yes - 48. They were a shower of brown stuff. Never had a clue what was going on. I wasted hours of my life chasing and chasing, but nothing. If they worked for me they would be sacked.

So what can you do? You cannot plan any trips until you finally have the keys in your hand. You have a small, refundable deposit. I would leave that where it is and not cancel the order. The world is so topsy turvy who knows what state we will be in 6 months. Demand for campers might be high again in 2021, so even though you might have moved on from the camper dream you could always sell and maybe make a few k.

However even after 48 frustrating weeks we absolutely love our van. If only we had known years ago when me and Mrs Subthree were screaming round the mountains, pre-kids! But with a 6 & 8 year old in tow we have had a brilliant time since we collected our 6.1 in July last year. Done 5,000 fab miles already.

So I feel your pain and frustration, I really do. Drove me crackers chasing useless VW people. But the van really is as good as everyone says, and more. Don't cancel the order!!!!!

Good advice subthree you are of course right ..... we have waited a long time already and it is doubtful we could use it safely (due to infections) and freely until mid summer and there is always the option to sell at that time.
I do pose a question though to any people negotiating a purchase currently, what on earth are they being promised for delivery, all the horror stories on the forums suggest it might be this years Christmas present rather than the summer toy.
I am think the saga and the guessing will continue until week 6 and we see if there is in fact a 204 engine to fit.

VW Commercial Vehicles UK and VW Germany made my buying experience the worst purchase. Apart from the house, the most we have ever spent on anything. FORTY EIGHT weeks, yes - 48. They were a shower of brown stuff. Never had a clue what was going on. I wasted hours of my life chasing and chasing, but nothing. If they worked for me they would be sacked.

So what can you do? You cannot plan any trips until you finally have the keys in your hand. You have a small, refundable deposit. I would leave that where it is and not cancel the order. The world is so topsy turvy who knows what state we will be in 6 months. Demand for campers might be high again in 2021, so even though you might have moved on from the camper dream you could always sell and maybe make a few k.

However even after 48 frustrating weeks we absolutely love our van. If only we had known years ago when me and Mrs Subthree were screaming round the mountains, pre-kids! But with a 6 & 8 year old in tow we have had a brilliant time since we collected our 6.1 in July last year. Done 5,000 fab miles already.

So I feel your pain and frustration, I really do. Drove me crackers chasing useless VW people. But the van really is as good as everyone says, and more. Don't cancel the order!!!!!
Great post, gives me hope, thanks.

I was shocked when I was told in Nov my delivery was 10-12 months, meaning earliest delivery was Sept 2021. This when I was hearing people getting build dates 4-5 months after confirming orders. Perhaps my dealer had insider knowledge 2 months ago which is now being born out by slipped build weeks.

I feel your pain, but I think I might win the contest of the longest wait for Cali. I ordered my Ocean 6.1 on 21 February 2020 with delivery date 31 August 2020. Then the date was slipping to end September to mid-November, than December. It’s 12 January 2021 and my Cali is not even in production yet! The dealer told me that according to VW my van is ‘scheduled’ for week 7 of 2021, but even that is not confirmed. So VW will only start on my van 1 year after the order was placed. Unbelievable! And it’s not even 204hp, it’s 150hp. And I’m ordering from Belgium, so post-Brexit delay also can’t be an issue here.
I’m so frustrated that I’m thinking of sending the dealer a letter fixing the date of delivery and if this is not met - cancel the contract. Not sure if this would have any effect in speeding up things and I don’t really want to give up on it as it’s my longtime dream.
The dealer couldn’t tell me how long it will take from the start of production and delivery. Would it be reasonable to hope that I’d get my Cali in April if they start building it in the 3rd week of February? Does anyone of you have an idea/experience?

To all those waiting: don’t lose your hope and focus on imagining all the wonderful adventures you’ll have with your Cali, however long the wait!♥️

I feel your pain, but I think I might win the contest of the longest wait for Cali. I ordered my Ocean 6.1 on 21 February 2020 with delivery date 31 August 2020. Then the date was slipping to end September to mid-November, than December. It’s 12 January 2021 and my Cali is not even in production yet! The dealer told me that according to VW my van is ‘scheduled’ for week 7 of 2021, but even that is not confirmed. So VW will only start on my van 1 year after the order was placed. Unbelievable! And it’s not even 204hp, it’s 150hp. And I’m ordering from Belgium, so post-Brexit delay also can’t be an issue here.
I’m so frustrated that I’m thinking of sending the dealer a letter fixing the date of delivery and if this is not met - cancel the contract. Not sure if this would have any effect in speeding up things and I don’t really want to give up on it as it’s my longtime dream.
The dealer couldn’t tell me how long it will take from the start of production and delivery. Would it be reasonable to hope that I’d get my Cali in April if they start building it in the 3rd week of February? Does anyone of you have an idea/experience?

To all those waiting: don’t lose your hope and focus on imagining all the wonderful adventures you’ll have with your Cali, however long the wait!♥️
That’s a ridiculously long time to wait LuluZa, especially when other 150hp orders have ‘overtaken’ yours. I think I would get onto VW Customer Services for an explanation rather than your dealer or VW Chat. You deserve a ‘sweetner’ from VW when your van eventually arrives as a gesture of goodwill. Good luck.

So sorry about all the delays, we ordered our Coast on the 18th November and of course there is no build week, let alone delivery date. We were so excited by the idea of getting away at Easter (finally) after the pandemic, but that won't happen now.

The best advice here is from subthree saying hang in there, the nightmare of the long wait will one day be just that, a bad memory, hopefully the joy and relief you will feel will outweigh all the frustration.

And for those of us desperate to go out, and climbing the walls of our lockdown houses, I think the restrictions will continue largely as they are until Easter, don't wait for this government to release us from this madness until then at the earliest.

That’s a ridiculously long time to wait LuluZa, especially when other 150hp orders have ‘overtaken’ yours. I think I would get onto VW Customer Services for an explanation rather than your dealer or VW Chat. You deserve a ‘sweetner’ from VW when your van eventually arrives as a gesture of goodwill. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll try that, but would be good to have some data to show them that later orders we’re delivered before mine. Grateful if you have any such examples.

Just been given an unconfirmed build date of June this year for our 204 also from VW chat, disappointing to say the least. Not a squeak from our dealer either!! I'd consider cancelling but the alternatives are somewhat limited and I'm reluctant to pay new money for a used van. In any case we can't go anywhere for the foreseeable, so maybe better in the factory awaiting build than sitting on our drive going nowhere.

Just been given an unconfirmed build date of June this year for our 204 also from VW chat, disappointing to say the least. Not a squeak from our dealer either!! I'd consider cancelling but the alternatives are somewhat limited and I'm reluctant to pay new money for a used van. In any case we can't go anywhere for the foreseeable, so maybe better in the factory awaiting build than sitting on our drive going nowhere.
What spec did you order? I’m in the boat where i’ve nothing confirmed as yet but I do know from VW CS that some configurations aren’t available with the new 204 engine due to excess weight. ‘Until they put them into the factory, they don’t know which orders are affected’ to quote them. Surely they must know what spec items work and those that don’t!? Or is that just too plain simple to work out?

Thanks for the advice, I’ll try that, but would be good to have some data to show them that later orders we’re delivered before mine. Grateful if you have any such examples.
OK my California Ocean 199 was ordered on 20/07/20 and I took delivery on 06/11/20
Factory fitted options as per attached.

Attachments

• 2EA4244C-7F9A-435F-A5FF-3CFB5C018EF3.png
    2EA4244C-7F9A-435F-A5FF-3CFB5C018EF3.png
    223.6 KB · Views: 56
T7 looms on the Horizon making delayed T6.1 deliveries more problematic for buyers.

T7 looms on the Horizon making delayed T6.1 deliveries more problematic for buyers.
Yes I guess so, but it reopens the debate about the practicality of an EV campervan with restricted range etc. The current electric VW Transporter only has a range of 60-70 miles!
As long as I get 10 years or more use from my diesel 6.1 i’ll be happy.

48 weeks.
Is that some sort of Record ?
I’ll create a Poll. Somehow

Surely the delays of the 199ps Calis are linked to
the co2 targets required this year.---------

From 2021, the average emissions target is set at 95g/km CO2. For every 1g/km of CO2 that a manufacturer exceeds its average emissions target by, it will be fined €95 multiplied by its volume of new-car registrations in the preceding year.

However, the highest-polluting 5% of new cars registered in 2020 are excluded from the 2021 fines calculations, which serves as a transitional phase for carmakers. Based on analysis of data distribution, Autovista Group calculates that this would reduce CO2 emissions figures by about 7%. From 2022 onwards, full compliance of all new cars is required (i.e. new cars registered in 2021 onwards).

Nevertheless, car manufacturers in the EU are not expected to meet the new 95g/km target and could face fines amounting to more than €20 billion in both 2021 and 2022. All major carmakers are expected to miss their respective emissions targets under this new regime.

What spec did you order? I’m in the boat where i’ve nothing confirmed as yet but I do know from VW CS that some configurations aren’t available with the new 204 engine due to excess weight. ‘Until they put them into the factory, they don’t know which orders are affected’ to quote them. Surely they must know what spec items work and those that don’t!? Or is that just too plain simple to work out
I've not heard anything on changes to weight limits or weight related configuration issues, but below is what I've got on order.

Ocean 199 (204) 4 Motion with the following options:

17" Devonports
Discover Media Pro
Storage net / 2nd drawer in bench seat
Wooden floor
Comfort sleeping mat
Fuel tank with a volume of 80 l
All weather tyres 235/55 R17 103H XL
ArtVelours
4 remote control folding keys

Back