Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New member, navigating the complexities of buying first van!

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi, I'm Haydn. I'm new and trying to work out what on earth I should buy! Great to have such a useful forum available, and I'll report back when a purchase has been made. :)

Hi Haydn
we was where you are last summer. .... Have ours on order right now! Exciting and interesting journey to this place, helped enormously by the folks on here. We started with a fancy, followed by a test drive at local dealership, and although very tempted, did some research before taking one for hire a couple months later, which was a steep learning curve but valuable experience. decided the pros far outweighed worries and expense. Quote from dealer, followed by one from Autoebid (new vehicle) ordered one (T6) later to change our minds, cancel order and reorder the 6.1. you will find fans of every model on here. wishing you happy hours of exploring and researchJill

I am sure the forum can help you decide if you need some guidance.

Do you have any idea on what kind of camping you want to do and where?

Likewise, during 2018.

I will recommend that you get along to a club event or two. Here you will meet like minded Cali owners and get a chance to look around and discuss options. Alternatively see if there is anyone here local to you who is prepared to share their stories and let you look at their Cali in the flesh.

Then as JillyFish has suggested, look to hire one or two for some overnight stops in order to discover what you have and if it suits your requirements and needs.

I'd use the same approach if and when you come to make some investments with add-ons e.g. awning, sleeping materials, cooking items etc.

I recon that most of us on here have made some investments on the whim, that never/hardly get used!

Thanks all. I've spent a few nights in friends' Californias, and we hired a converted T6 which showed off the value and practicality of the Cali very well! So now just wrestling with budget and trying to resist the impulse to buy a conversion now versus a Cali later in the year / 12 months from now. It's our first van, though, so it's difficult to resist the instant gratification angle!

Thanks all. I've spent a few nights in friends' Californias, and we hired a converted T6 which showed off the value and practicality of the Cali very well! So now just wrestling with budget and trying to resist the impulse to buy a conversion now versus a Cali later in the year / 12 months from now. It's our first van, though, so it's difficult to resist the instant gratification angle!

It doesn’t get easier: experienced members are currently wrestling between options for a mini gas BBQ, supermarket diesel or branded and even the environmental impact of melamine plates versus bamboo plates.

Welcome here

As said above: Any idea what you would like and where are you coming from: Car, caravaning, tent?
Best idea is to rent all kind of campers/Californias to get an idea what fita best
Happy testing!

Edit: A lot of pro and cons for conversion versus factory build on here as well. It's easy to say: It's all about camping when you already got a van/made the decision however it all depends on personal circumstances and how strong you are against the lovely temptation.

Last edited:

it all depends on [...] how strong you are against the lovely temptation.
Seemingly not very - we are now the proud owners of a 2015 Ocean! Visited a dealer early-doors today, where my partner (and co-funder!) decided that the benefits over a conversion were clear, and so we made the purchase. She's right that although it felt like an impulse buy, we've been looking at things for nearly 8 months now. So onwards, to the bamboo/melamine decision! :)

Wow, that was quick. Well done. I ordered without ever having driven or camped in one. Still love driving and camping in it.
As you’ve been in here a while you will know the things to check on a vehicle that’s 4-5 years old.
Exciting times ahead!