Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Order + Spec Reasoning

You only have to read VWs description against each model to see how their advertising suits think.
View attachment 82309
The Beach, " For camping beginners".
The Ocean, " For the discerning".

What utter crap!

Come on VW, wake up and let your customers decide who your products are best suited for. Those statements are both misleading and verging on the insulting.

If the reduced option policy comes from VW UK then perhaps someone could explain the reasoning behind it? UK customers get a vastly reduced options menu compared to the smörgåsbord our continental cousins are offered.
Agreed! This is totally utter crap :) Explains a lot of the buyer feelings behind it all, many are firmly set that the Beach is only for those who cannot afford the almighty Ocean

You only have to read VWs description against each model to see how their advertising suits think.
View attachment 82309
The Beach, " For camping beginners".
The Ocean, " For the discerning".

What utter crap!

Come on VW, wake up and let your customers decide who your products are best suited for. Those statements are both misleading and verging on the insulting.

If the reduced option policy comes from VW UK then perhaps someone could explain the reasoning behind it? UK customers get a vastly reduced options menu compared to the smörgåsbord our continental cousins are offered.
But what should the ‘discerning camping beginner’ buy? Maybe a hybrid Beach/Ocean is needed :)

Borris, If they gave UK customers too many option choices with the Beach, it would massively cut into sales of the other trim/models. VW have reason behind their madness.
Yes, I've no doubt that you are right.

I'd like to think that most people spending this sort of money are "discerning". I would also like to think that having considered their personal circumstances and how they are likely to use thier new California, that most buyers would choose the most appropriate version. Clearly that's not always the case and IMO, advertising nonsense like this is partly to blame. As you say the restrictive options on the Beach models are designed to reinforce this silly model hierarchy.

Most buyers will know if they are best suited to a campervan or an MPV California. They shouldn't be penalised with reduced choice and higher prices for buying the latter.

The disparity between UK and European options lists is a slightly different matter.

Agreed! This is totally utter crap :) Explains a lot of the buyer feelings behind it all, many are firmly set that the Beach is only for those who cannot afford the almighty Ocean
Or who aren't "discerning". :thumb

But what should the ‘discerning camping beginner’ buy? Maybe a hybrid Beach/Ocean is needed :)
Apparently, the "discerning camping beginner" doesn't exist according to VWs sales blurb.

However, I'm sure the four current models would be a good enough choice. :thumb

Cool! I just mean generally speaking (some beaches will also be more for weekends)
Oh man, just checked the Swiss brochure and same language problem! So as I ordered the Beach, I can't "globetrot" nor "judge things which are good or bad" !

Seriously I had to look it up:

(dɪsɜrnɪŋ ) adjective. If you describe someone as discerning, you mean that they are able to judge which things of a particular kind are good and which are bad. [approval] Even the most accomplished writers show their work-in-progress to discerning readers.

Source: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/discerning

@dspuk , broadly two areas you need to consider and you seem to have considered all. Minor notes:
- drivability
>> you seem to have covered everything but not mentioned it. Assuming that LED headlights, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) are standard with the driver assistance package . If yes, then all good on that. Yes, it does make long drives easier.
>> all season tyres on the 18 Palmerstons. Will open up more vistas in Winter for you and make winter travel possible and safer.

- usability (camping)
>> when you hire for trying it out, check out if the mattress works for you or not. It did not work for us (very hard and used up a lot of excess space on the parcel shelf). There are excellent alternate options on mattresses.

... other than that, you seem to be all set and sorted. Now starts the agonising wait ... but you seem to be already filling that gap with van hires. :thumb
I’m not sure you can spec all season tyres with the 18” wheels! When I ordered mine 2 months ago it wasn’t available as an option. I was told to buy after‍♂️. Has this changed recently ?

I’m not sure you can spec all season tyres with the 18” wheels! When I ordered mine 2 months ago it wasn’t available as an option. I was told to buy after‍♂️. Has this changed recently ?
@Lexlogie , not sure if it available. It is always good to check with the dealer as config information keeps on being updated on the configurator. :thumb

It's absolutely down to you, I paid 5k extra for all wheel drive in my current car, and think in 4 years we needed it once for about 5 minutes in the alps, and even then we could have just parked lower down the mountain.

I blasted past my budget for the Beach with what we feel we would enjoy and need most of the time, so 4wd and DCC did not make the cut!
4wd is one of those things that you only need WHEN you need it. I’ve spec’d mine with diff lock and hill decent. Christ knows where I think I’m going, but belt and braces and all that

Hi All - soon to be new member (waiting till closer to the Cali delivery to join fully and use discounts) with an order placed a week ago for delivery in "Q2" - So anytime between April and June 2022!

Friend of mine actually got one recently and seeing her and her partner in the wild in it gave me the bug and after weeks of research and lurking pulled the trigger. My experience is over here.

So - what did I eventually order? With the LONG LONG LONG wait I decided to go all out and get the exact spec I wanted, no compromises and save the difference during the wait. Things I hummed and hawed a lot over:

Colour - The images on VW are terrible and I used this forum and videos to get a better idea.
Engine - 150 vs 205 - which to get long term, would 150 be enough? I never once thought about 4WD.

I knew it was an Ocean I wanted, in the end, with all the extras as std, was the same as a fully loaded Beach.

Final order was:

6.1 Ocean - reasons above
204 Engine - mainly because I like the grunt and it's the same as my Tiguan. 150 by all accounts is mostly fine but I read some steep hill issues and I like to visit the lakes.
Colour - White and Green. I thought about white, blue and red, but in the end this is THE colour. I may yet change for the white/bronze. But, maybe not. I can change up to Xmas apparently.
Wood floor - Just looks great in the videos and sets off the grey interior better. As I'm not tap dancing in there sure the durability will be fine.
Bed Mattress. Should be std TBH.
Upgraded to 18 Palmerston. They just look amazing with the white/green paint
Shower attachment - some great tricks out there to use as a full shower and great to wash dirty boots
80L tank - almost a no brainer for the price
Sat Nav Upgrade - I have this on the Tiguan and would not be with out it
Driver assistance upgrade - same, I have on mine and things like lane steering are vital for a chilled long ride
Storage net thing - probably not required, but hey ho, in for a penny.

And now, as mentioned on my previous post - just wait. With so many options I'm also shooting myself in the foot slightly because one kink in the covid ridden supply chain and its delays for me. But still. The Camper I want is the camper I want.

First try out mid Sept as we have one hired for a tour of Northern Wales for a week. Porta potties here we come.

Happy to answer any questions on my reasoning or comments on the spec - looking forward to lurking more with some interaction here and there.

View attachment 82132
I’ve just done the same. Didn’t go two tone. £2995 my wife thought that was a step two far. As it is ours tipped the scales at £79,300. No build date yet

4wd is one of those things that you only need WHEN you need it. I’ve spec’d mine with diff lock and hill decent. Christ knows where I think I’m going, but belt and braces and all that
There's more to 4 wheel drive than the possibility of going off road. Personally , I find it's a better drive than FWD.

Hi All - soon to be new member (waiting till closer to the Cali delivery to join fully and use discounts) with an order placed a week ago for delivery in "Q2" - So anytime between April and June 2022!

Friend of mine actually got one recently and seeing her and her partner in the wild in it gave me the bug and after weeks of research and lurking pulled the trigger. My experience is over here.

So - what did I eventually order? With the LONG LONG LONG wait I decided to go all out and get the exact spec I wanted, no compromises and save the difference during the wait. Things I hummed and hawed a lot over:

Colour - The images on VW are terrible and I used this forum and videos to get a better idea.
Engine - 150 vs 205 - which to get long term, would 150 be enough? I never once thought about 4WD.

I knew it was an Ocean I wanted, in the end, with all the extras as std, was the same as a fully loaded Beach.

Final order was:

6.1 Ocean - reasons above
204 Engine - mainly because I like the grunt and it's the same as my Tiguan. 150 by all accounts is mostly fine but I read some steep hill issues and I like to visit the lakes.
Colour - White and Green. I thought about white, blue and red, but in the end this is THE colour. I may yet change for the white/bronze. But, maybe not. I can change up to Xmas apparently.
Wood floor - Just looks great in the videos and sets off the grey interior better. As I'm not tap dancing in there sure the durability will be fine.
Bed Mattress. Should be std TBH.
Upgraded to 18 Palmerston. They just look amazing with the white/green paint
Shower attachment - some great tricks out there to use as a full shower and great to wash dirty boots
80L tank - almost a no brainer for the price
Sat Nav Upgrade - I have this on the Tiguan and would not be with out it
Driver assistance upgrade - same, I have on mine and things like lane steering are vital for a chilled long ride
Storage net thing - probably not required, but hey ho, in for a penny.

And now, as mentioned on my previous post - just wait. With so many options I'm also shooting myself in the foot slightly because one kink in the covid ridden supply chain and its delays for me. But still. The Camper I want is the camper I want.

First try out mid Sept as we have one hired for a tour of Northern Wales for a week. Porta potties here we come.

Happy to answer any questions on my reasoning or comments on the spec - looking forward to lurking more with some interaction here and there.

View attachment 82132
Who have you hired from? We hired from Campervantastic

Who have you hired from? We hired from Campervantastic
Hi - we got from Cotswold Camper - en route to Wales for us, we can leave our car there and the vans come fully equipped with the bits and bobs you would need for a few days away.

I’ve just done the same. Didn’t go two tone. £2995 my wife thought that was a step two far. As it is ours tipped the scales at £79,300. No build date yet
Wow. Any options you didn't tick?
Did you get a discount (such as with Drive the Deal)?

I have looked at drive the deal, but the place I bought it from is fairly local to me. I think also the prices and the availability of these makes it hard to push them on price, especially in the current market. Somewhere £2,000 came off the price and I asked for carbon fibre rear boot protector which they threw in for free. I’m also having PPF (paint protection film) applied.

I have looked at drive the deal, but the place I bought it from is fairly local to me. I think also the prices and the availability of these makes it hard to push them on price, especially in the current market. Somewhere £2,000 came off the price and I asked for carbon fibre rear boot protector which they threw in for free. I’m also having PPF (paint protection film) applied.
All true but I guess with DTD you get a flat 9% off, end off, zero faffing. I had issues with Breeze on bill where they added on paint protection and gap insurance without telling me and even after taking them off they were still not matching the DTD price (after promising to). With the money you have off plus protector and PPF feels like about 3K "off", but more like 2.5 as the extras are marked up 50% anyway. With DTD you get a flat 6.8K off (my spec) - would need to be very close to me (like, working from my shed) and a very expensive boot protector to justify the 4 - 5K difference.

All true but I guess with DTD you get a flat 9% off, end off, zero faffing. I had issues with Breeze on bill where they added on paint protection and gap insurance without telling me and even after taking them off they were still not matching the DTD price (after promising to). With the money you have off plus protector and PPF feels like about 3K "off", but more like 2.5 as the extras are marked up 50% anyway. With DTD you get a flat 6.8K off (my spec) - would need to be very close to me (like, working from my shed) and a very expensive boot protector to justify the 4 - 5K difference.
I had over £8k discount via DtD given my twitchy option-ticking hand. OK I now have to deal with Eurovans who never contact me, but I won't be using them for servicing anyway, so there's no 'relationship' to build. I also don't think dealers have any sway at all with the factory lead times, so the only reason I can see to not use DtD or AutoeBid is to give your local dealer some charitable business to hope they stay open. VW's fault for allowing discounting. Meantime I was delighted to get all my options for 'free'.

Thanks guys I’ve had a look a DtD and I’d save about £3,000

I had over £8k discount via DtD given my twitchy option-ticking hand. OK I now have to deal with Eurovans who never contact me, but I won't be using them for servicing anyway, so there's no 'relationship' to build. I also don't think dealers have any sway at all with the factory lead times, so the only reason I can see to not use DtD or AutoeBid is to give your local dealer some charitable business to hope they stay open. VW's fault for allowing discounting. Meantime I was delighted to get all my options for 'free'.

There is some sway with lead times. You could either have a dealer allocation van or one over and above their allocation. If you get an allocation van it will come more promptly than one over and above their allocation.

VW UK is given an allocation by VW, this is shared amongst dealers with VW UK holding some back for later redistribution.

Each dealer is given an allocation based on their previous year’s sales.

Once the dealer’s allocation is fulfilled they have to ask VW UK for extra. If VW UK run out they have to ask Germany for more, and if there are no more to be had there will be a very long wait.

That is why some people will get their vans ordered and delivered in 10-12 weeks while others can wait a year or longer.

Then there can be the issue of the factory running out of some option or another: just imagine if some vital component for ACC was stuck on the Ever Given, held hostage for ransom in the Great Bitter Lake until just a few weeks ago?

Once the dealer’s allocation is fulfilled they have to ask VW UK for extra. If VW UK run out they have to ask Germany for more, and if there are no more to be had there will be a very long wait.
But once the order is accepted by the factory, you're just at the mercy of the factory? I have heard of people not receiving an order number for weeks if not months, which presumably is due to the dealer waiting for a new allocation (or asking VW UK for one)... once you have an order # my understanding is the dealer has no influence...?

Thanks guys I’ve had a look a DtD and I’d save about £3,000
Strange on an £80k van. Did you call them? Perhaps they have reduced their discount...