Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Order + Spec Reasoning

C

couplands

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
No it doesn’t come with a gas bottle.

It has a very short cable with a EU style plug but you may want to buy a UK version for connecting to a 3-pin socket at home. You will also need a long cable for campsites. Most go for 25m.

We specified a towbar when we ordered our van for the purpose of fitting a towbar mounted bike rack. We bought a Thule Velospace XT3. We prefer this to a permanently attached tailgate bike rack.

BTW Dunelm do a single Ottoman for about £10 which fits over the Thetford 335 perfectly and doubles as a stool.
Quick question on the Thule bike rack - we have one, but dont have the Cali Yet.

Does the tailgate open ok when the rack is lowered..?

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Quick question on the Thule bike rack - we have one, but dont have the Cali Yet.

Does the tailgate open ok when the rack is lowered..?
Yes it does. There is a wire strap on each side of the rack that dictate how much the rack tilts. You will probably need to move them to the 2nd position to give maximum tilt.

Attachments

• A4FF9231-801C-469B-A27F-4253AC76FEE5.jpeg
    A4FF9231-801C-469B-A27F-4253AC76FEE5.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 21
C

couplands

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Yes it does. There is a wire strap on each side of the rack that dictate how much the rack tilts. You will probably need to move them to the 2nd position to give maximum tilt.
Great, I never knew there was a 2nd position for the straps (just about to go to the shed and have a look..!)

dspuk

dspuk

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
No it doesn’t come with a gas bottle.

It has a very short cable with a EU style plug but you may want to buy a UK version for connecting to a 3-pin socket at home. You will also need a long cable for campsites. Most go for 25m.

We specified a towbar when we ordered our van for the purpose of fitting a towbar mounted bike rack. We bought a Thule Velospace XT3. We prefer this to a permanently attached tailgate bike rack.

BTW Dunelm do a single Ottoman for about £10 which fits over the Thetford 335 perfectly and doubles as a stool.
Cable defo on the list - cheers.

dspuk

dspuk

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
This is spot on

In the UK it seems the Beach is "the entry level", Coast is medium and Ocean is high. There's a lot of official and unofficial talk using terms to support this. E.g. A lot of "going all in" to explain buying an Ocean.

But I don't understand it, certainly in Switzerland it's not seen the same, the Beach is the daily driver, the Coast and Ocean are the weekend vehicles, price is not the decider; it's what you want to do with it.
Makes sense - our Tiguan will be our daily driver and the Cali will be the weekend and summer vehicle. The Ocean works for us, and the Beach and Coast for others - all the rich tapestry of Cali ownership.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
This is spot on

In the UK it seems the Beach is "the entry level", Coast is medium and Ocean is high. There's a lot of official and unofficial talk using terms to support this. E.g. A lot of "going all in" to explain buying an Ocean.

But I don't understand it, certainly in Switzerland it's not seen the same, the Beach is the daily driver, the Coast and Ocean are the weekend vehicles, price is not the decider; it's what you want to do with it.
Unfortunately that is just how VW have always marketed the California models in the UK. The SE and now the Ocean was/is clearly intended to be their top of the range model with the Coast now fulfilling a no frills version of the same. Unfortunately, the Beach is marketed as their entry level, basic, take it or leave it, starter Cali. VW's introductory advertising blurb for the then new T6-1 said as much.

As you say, the trouble is that the California range is split into two completely different model designs. One version, either in Ocean or Coast guise, is clearly aimed at those wanting a single purpose campervan whilst most Beach customers are attracted by that vehicle's awesome multi purpose possibilities. I suspect that very few Beach customers buy because they want to get on the first rung of VW's stated California aspirational ladder. I'm sure most Beach punters buy because that's the version that works best for them.

So are both sets of customers treated the same? Answer: NO.

The UK Beach customer is offered a more limited menu of overpriced options that makes a well specced Beach disproportionately expensive when compared to an Ocean. Example: I didn't want an Ocean or a Coast but did want a Beach with a very specific options list. It cost me just shy of £66k in 2019!!! Members have frequently mentioned this pricing anomaly and sometimes used it as a reason for choosing an Ocean. My point is that whilst understandable, buying for that reason alone may lead the purchaser to be disappointed with a vehicle that doesn't fit their needs . First choose the model that suits your needs best then explore the costs involved.

Imo, it's about time VW dropped this flawed sales policy and started treating these two UK California customer groups equally in terns of both options and pricing.

Another issue is the disparity between UK Beach models and those sold in mainland Europe. Why is it that the UK Beach customer is offered such a restricted options list whereas customers in countries around Europe are offered all sorts of "forbidden fruit"? Whilst many of these options wouldn't interest me, they almost certainly would others. Examples include:

1. More engine choices
2. Electro /hydraulic roof
3. 4Motion
4. Double glazing
5 etc etc.

Sorry we have strayed off topic.

two-saabs

two-saabs

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Unfortunately that is just how VW have always marketed the California models in the UK. The SE and now the Ocean was/is clearly intended to be their top of the range model with the Coast now fulfilling a no frills version of the same. Unfortunately, the Beach is marketed as their entry level, basic, take it or leave it, starter Cali. VW's introductory advertising blurb for the then new T6-1 said as much.

As you say, the trouble is that the California range is split into two completely different model designs. One version, either in Ocean or Coast guise, is clearly aimed at those wanting a single purpose campervan whilst most Beach customers are attracted by that vehicle's awesome multi purpose possibilities. I suspect that very few Beach customers buy because they want to get on the first rung of VW's stated California aspirational ladder. I'm sure most Beach punters buy because that's the version that works best for them.

The UK Beach customer is offered a more limited menu of overpriced options that makes a well specced Beach disproportionately expensive when compared to an Ocean. Example: I didn't want an Ocean or a Coast but did want a Beach with a very specific options list. It cost me just shy of £66k in 2019!!! Members have frequently mentioned this pricing anomaly and sometimes used it as a reason for choosing an Ocean. My point is that whilst understandable, buying for that reason alone may lead the purchaser to be disappointed with a vehicle that doesn't fit their needs . First choose the model that suits your needs best then explore the costs involved.

Imo, it's about time VW dropped this flawed sales policy and started treating these two UK California customer groups equally in terns of both options and pricing.

Another issue is the disparity between UK Beach models and those sold in mainland Europe. Why is it that the UK Beach customer is offered such a restricted options list whereas customers in countries around Europe are offered all sorts of "forbidden fruit"? Whilst many of these options wouldn't interest me, they almost certainly would others. Examples include:

1. More engine choices
3. 4Motion
4. Double glazing
5 etc etc.

I'm just glad it wasn't me with this view! Well said.

dspuk

dspuk

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order

1. More engine choices
3. 4Motion
4. Double glazing
5 etc etc.

Off topic is great - all super insights. As mentioned, this was my challenge and part of a clever and deliberate pricing strategy. Speccing up a Coast to what I wanted made it rather pointless as the Ocean was priced to overlap with all the options on. A Beach in either guise was not for me because I wanted the kitchen camper setup. Having sat in corporate meetings discussing these option and pricing strategies I can confirm it is all very deliberate. Options though can differ market to market for many reasons, some being legal (the homologation challenge) and some being practical on LHD vs RHD and the supplier cost for differing version of parts meaning the highest sales version (usually RHD for EU vehciles) gets more options and factory bandwidth.

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Off topic is great - all super insights. As mentioned, this was my challenge and part of a clever and deliberate pricing strategy. Speccing up a Coast to what I wanted made it rather pointless as the Ocean was priced to overlap with all the options on. A Beach in either guise was not for me because I wanted the kitchen camper setup. Having sat in corporate meetings discussing these option and pricing strategies I can confirm it is all very deliberate. Options though can differ market to market for many reasons, some being legal (the homologation challenge) and some being practical on LHD vs RHD and the supplier cost for differing version of parts meaning the highest sales version (usually RHD for EU vehciles) gets more options and factory bandwidth.
You've specced a great Cali after clearly thinking things through carefully. :thumb

As for those option and pricing strategy decisions, I'm sure they are deliberate.

I also fully accept that as you say, there are many reasons why options can differ, never the less.......

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
You've specced a great Cali after clearly thinking things through carefully. :thumb

As for those option and pricing strategy decisions, I'm sure they are deliberate.

I also fully accept that as you say, there are many reasons why options can differ, never the less.......
nevertheless ....when VW are sending Beaches to the U.K. why deny their customers the ability to spend more money for the options they want?

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
nevertheless ....when VW are sending Beaches to the U.K. why deny their customers the ability to spend more money for the options they want?
Example: There are a measly three duo colour options available to UK buyers. Customers in mainland Europe get seven! Since the paint application proceedure is the same regardless of which side the steering wheel is or where the vehicle goes after it leaves the factory, why do UK customers receive a reduced choice?

Last edited:
66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Example: There are a measly three duo colour options available to UK buyers. Customers in mainland Europe get seven! Since the paint application proceedure is the same regardless of which side the steering wheel is or where the vehicle goes after it leaves the factory, why do UK customers justify a reduced choice?
And why cant U.K. Beaches be spec’d with blue or red bellows, Sports or Style packs, several alloy wheel styles or privacy glass...etc? Is this part of the tiered marketing (premium Ocean...) strategy? As you say they are different vehicles

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Cable defo on the list - cheers.

1 x 15m plus 1 x 10m is better than 1 x 25m as it gives 3 length options for very little extra £££

10m or 15m or 25m

(I misunderstood the advice when buying 4 years ago and got a 25m and 15m lead giving us a stonking 40m option!!!)

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
And why cant U.K. Beaches be spec’d with blue or red bellows, Sports or Style packs, several alloy wheel styles or privacy glass...etc? Is this part of the tiered marketing (premium Ocean...) strategy? As you say they are different vehicles
I agree.
I also accept that there can sometimes be various reasons, either technical and/or legislative, why some options aren't possible. However, I fail to see how VW are able to export a swb 205ps 4Motion, van, Ocean or Caravelle to the UK, but can't offer these same options to Beach customers. They could but they won't.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I agree.
I also accept that there can sometimes be various reasons, either technical and/or legislative, why some options aren't possible. However, I fail to see how VW are able to export a swb 205ps 4Motion, van, Ocean or Caravelle to the UK, but can't offer these same options to Beach customers. They could but they won't.
I think VW UK is the problem. They take the view that if someone can afford a 4mo they can afford an Ocean.

two-saabs

two-saabs

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I think VW UK is the problem. They take the view that if someone can afford a 4mo they can afford an Ocean.
But that's the key language problem: "afford". This ends up going both ways "they got a Beach because they can't afford an Ocean"... The whole language is wrong, as we are saying, price should have nothing to do with it, I wonder if anyone's actual choice was swayed because of this perception of California hierarchy!

Nerd alert: even the word "afford" doesn't actually mean you do or do not have the money in the bank, it's an old French word meaning "give oneself permission". There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying "I would prefer to spend this amount, than that amount". Do the work, get some money, buy some stuff you like, simple!

Of course it can be about budget, and for many people the lower price of the Beach means they can get in to the game and enjoy a day out with picnic by the lake, 4 bikes thrown inside, maybe stay overnight if you want... Awesome!

Whilst sat with my cat this morning I was smiling thinking, imagine if I said "well I could get a cat, but I thought I'd go "all in" and get a Great Dane instead!" :)

two-saabs

two-saabs

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
But that's the key language problem: "afford". This ends up going both ways "they got a Beach because they can't afford an Ocean"... The whole language is wrong, as we are saying, price should have nothing to do with it, I wonder if anyone's actual choice was swayed because of this perception of California hierarchy!

Nerd alert: even the word "afford" doesn't actually mean you do or do not have the money in the bank, it's an old French word meaning "give oneself permission". There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying "I would prefer to spend this amount, than that amount". Do the work, get some money, buy some stuff you like, simple!

Of course it can be about budget, and for many people the lower price of the Beach means they can get in to the game and enjoy a day out with picnic by the lake, 4 bikes thrown inside, maybe stay overnight if you want... Awesome!

Whilst sat with my cat this morning I was smiling thinking, imagine if I said "well I could get a cat, but I thought I'd go "all in" and get a Great Dane instead!" :)
Eghhh should have had coffee before posting, I mixed up the language reference, it's Spanish where afford ends up being "give oneself permission", in English it's "to go further / to be in a position to"... Still a bit wishy washy when you think of it!

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
You may be right. In which case they must only have a minimal understanding of their customer base, but of course, that isn't news!

Joker 1299

Joker 1299

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
You may be right. In which case they must only have a minimal understanding of their customer base, but of course, that isn't news!
What happened to the laws of supply and demand? Surely VWUK can’t be that inept? Can they?

two-saabs

two-saabs

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
What happened to the laws of supply and demand? Surely VWUK can’t be that inept? Can they?
What's this crazy talk of giving the customer what they want? :)

Don't worry, not just UK, see my post about not being able to order all-season tyres in Switzerland... Yeah the same Switzerland with The Alps *palm face*