Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New roof recall?

B

Bowen

Have just had service/MOT and been told about a roof recall-apparently there is an issue with the canvas bellows causing problems with the roof leading to it getting stuck.Our Cali is 8 years old and we've had no problems so far.It all seems somewhat vague.Has anyone else heard anything similar?

an issue with the canvas bellows causing problems with the roof leading to it getting stuck.
New one on me love to know more,

New to me too.........

@vwguru will be along to put us straight!

I Believe its to do with the roof seal, which has caused leakage and rust spots/ blistered paint work. Had mine in for MoT which included the recall. They remove the seal, inspect, take photos replace the seal and send of for review. If work is required they'll arrange for to get the van in to do the warrenty work.

I Believe its to do with the roof seal, which has caused leakage and rust spots/ blistered paint work. Had mine in for MoT which included the recall. They remove the seal, inspect, take photos replace the seal and send of for review. If work is required they'll arrange for to get the van in to do the warrenty work.
I think this recall/check is one that’s been discussed on the forum and one that everyone will get if and when they use VW for their servicing. The one raised by the OP sounds a wholly new one although many have suffered the problem of the canvas getting scissored by the roof!

I think this recall/check is one that’s been discussed on the forum and one that everyone will get if and when they use VW for their servicing. The one raised by the OP sounds a wholly new one although many have suffered the problem of the canvas getting scissored by the roof!
Then I am one of the lucky ones that had no problems in 9 years of use.
Except when there is a lot of wind, or if you don't open the doors or windows far enough, then the canvas can be scissored, otherwise the canvas just plies up as it should.

Then I am one of the lucky ones that had no problems in 9 years of use.
Except when there is a lot of wind, or if you don't open the doors or windows far enough, then the canvas can be scissored, otherwise the canvas just plies up as it should.
Same here, one close shave when I forgot to open a window when lowering the roof.

Well the lady who discussed this with me Saturday said she wasn't very good at explaining the issue.Now I have spoken to a technician who advises that the issue is with the black rubber around the roof edge and as Asprin said is to do with the seal. He said some of the rubber wouldn't come away when they tried to remove the rubber-the van is 2011 vintage, so they have sent off some samples to "Technical" and are awaiting their response !

Mine is in to have gearbox oil dropped tomorrow and they are going to check under my roof seal. I already have and there is a small amount of corrosion on the front of the roof itself, under the seal.
I am not a little apprehensive. I hope whoever raises and lowers the roof takes care to open windows and has a go lightly touch at the control panel.....
Time will tell -

Well the lady who discussed this with me Saturday said she wasn't very good at explaining the issue.Now I have spoken to a technician who advises that the issue is with the black rubber around the roof edge and as Asprin said is to do with the seal. He said some of the rubber wouldn't come away when they tried to remove the rubber-the van is 2011 vintage, so they have sent off some samples to "Technical" and are awaiting their response !
My 2011 went in for an MOT in March and they removed the rubber seal, checked to ensure there was no damage/corrosion? Then applied a thin transparent tape to the roof edge and replaced the seal (badly). All was OK apparently, but they did this under warranty/ on a precautionary basis...

I had a particularly bad experience when I took my 2014 to Parkway Leicester. I made the mistake of not inspecting the roof before driving home. When I did inspect the roof I noticed a bulge on the front right side of the roof seal. I opened the roof to find the following - tools.jpg

I rang Parkway Leicester to be told the roof would not have been opened to make a repair. Which is obviously a lie. I've shared the image with them and asked for an explanation. But they have failed to reply. I'm wondering what my next steps are? I brought the vehicle from them and an extended AA warranty but have lost total trust in them.

Last edited:
I had a particularly back experience when I took my 2014 to Parkway Leicester. I made the mistake of not inspecting the roof before driving home. When I did inspect the roof I noticed a bulge on the front right side of the roof seal. I opened the roof to find the following
Nothing following the “following”!

Is that the tape which is supposed to be applied beneath the rubber seal??

Wow how did they remove the rubber seal, check for corrosion and apply that tape all the way around the roof with out opening it I am impressed that is some going. Here is a roof recall in process I think you will find they opened your roof FD4C9E46-5D97-46CF-B57D-DBA675F41A59.jpeg268E4F9A-CF9B-487E-9148-A3B92E6C6864.jpeg

Does anyone know if this recall apply to all t6 ocean's? Had my 2017 van in for service today and raised this recall but was informed its a subset of vans only and my van doesn't require this fix. Thanks Ian.

Does anyone know if this recall apply to all t6 ocean's? Had my 2017 van in for service today and raised this recall but was informed its a subset of vans only and my van doesn't require this fix. Thanks Ian.
Yes. When did you get your vehicle?
If Post June 2017 then it would be Model Year 2018 and should have the Tape from factory.

I had a particularly bad experience when I took my 2014 to Parkway Leicester. I made the mistake of not inspecting the roof before driving home. When I did inspect the roof I noticed a bulge on the front right side of the roof seal. I opened the roof to find the following - View attachment 45099

I rang Parkway Leicester to be told the roof would not have been opened to make a repair. Which is obviously a lie. I've shared the image with them and asked for an explanation. But they have failed to reply. I'm wondering what my next steps are? I brought the vehicle from them and an extended AA warranty but have lost total trust in them.
I just don’t understand why so often the first response is denial, it’s like a child saying “it wasn’t me” when it obviously was! Treating customers like they are idiots is not a good way to run a business, especially in these days of social media where poor service is so easily shared with, literally, the world!

My 2015 Cali had MOT and service in March and VW Van centre Lancashire advised me beforehand of the roof inspection and fitting of tape. I had the option to refuse this but obviously this would hinder any possible future roof repair under warranty. Thankfully nothing found on my roof and preventative tape fitted.

Wow how did they remove the rubber seal, check for corrosion and apply that tape all the way around the roof with out opening it I am impressed that is some going. Here is a roof recall in process I think you will find they opened your roof View attachment 45119View attachment 45120

Thanks for the info. I'm just about to call VWCS and make a complaint. I am really struggling to find anyone - van centre or independent - that I can trust with my vehicle. I noticed you are in the South. I'm Brighton based. Which breeze motor group centre are you based at?

Thanks for the info. I'm just about to call VWCS and make a complaint. I am really struggling to find anyone - van centre or independent - that I can trust with my vehicle. I noticed you are in the South. I'm Brighton based. Which breeze motor group centre are you based at?
Hi I’m based in Poole but our Southampton center could look after you just as well and it’s closer :thumb

Back