Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

Wait was not long as it was a beach, ordered beginning of march so nothing to complain about from that point of view but depended on how bad the damage is we may end up having to put another order through the factory apparently, I won’t except it if it’s got to have parts re sprayed
I agree I don’t think I could accept a new vehicle knowing it’s already had a paint repair

I ordered a Beach back in March. Will be the first van I own so have been particularly excited - can’t express how valuable this forum has been across a wide range of do’s and don’t’s - I have shamefully piggy backed off everyone’s experiences / advice regarding accessories and ways to utilise every inch of the van’s interior space.

Was given week build 23 (June 7th) and have been reading up on all the delays and recent closure fearing the worst - but happily (and luckily it seems) just got news the build is complete and is either at the port / on the way to the port for delivery (getting clarity on Monday).

Fully anticipating another 4-6wks wait - mainly so I don’t get my hopes up.

So had a voicemail from my dealer yesterday to call them, got excited as vw chat had confirmed it had arrived at sheerness and a transporter had been booked for it!

called dealer to be informed that it had been damaged at the port, waiting now to get a update on what extent the damage is and what my options are, I’ve had pictures and the tailgate glass has been smashed and it’s gone all inside the van probably damaged the plastics inside and paintwork outside.
Can’t describe how gutted I am
Sorry to hear this, not great whatever way you look at it. But at least you’ve got an honest dealer working for you, plenty of vehicles damaged and patched up and delivered without the owner ever knowing; at least you’ve got visibility and choices. Hope it goes well for you.

Sorry to hear this, not great whatever way you look at it. But at least you’ve got an honest dealer working for you, plenty of vehicles damaged and patched up and delivered without the owner ever knowing; at least you’ve got visibility and choices. Hope it goes well for you.
Thanks and Yes please we where informed

Hi all, quick update on my order. I received a call from my dealer yesterday with some great news. My Ocean is now at the UK port. All being well, I may be able to pick it up in around 2 weeks time.

The previous update I had was on the 7/6/21 when I was told the van was going into build the following week (24). I purposely haven’t chased any updates since then (apart from one failed attempt via VW chat when my curiosity got the better of me :) ). I was fully expecting more delays based on the reported shutdown. However, it seems that mine must have sneaked out of the factory in the nick of time!

I’ll keep you all posted with subsequent updates. Hang in there everyone….. We’ll get there!

—————————————————-
Potted history for reference....
- Ocean 150 (no towbar or TPMS)
- Ordered 3rd November 2020
- Original delivery estimate, 31st March 2021
- I was number 161 on 'the list' back in February
- Allocated build week 24
- Confirmation van is at UK port on 5/7/21

Hi all, quick update on my order. I received a call from my dealer yesterday with some great news. My Ocean is now at the UK port. All being well, I may be able to pick it up in around 2 weeks time.

The previous update I had was on the 7/6/21 when I was told the van was going into build the following week (24). I purposely haven’t chased any updates since then (apart from one failed attempt via VW chat when my curiosity got the better of me :) ). I was fully expecting more delays based on the reported shutdown. However, it seems that mine must have sneaked out of the factory in the nick of time!

I’ll keep you all posted with subsequent updates. Hang in there everyone….. We’ll get there!

—————————————————-
Potted history for reference....
- Ocean 150 (no towbar or TPMS)
- Ordered 3rd November 2020
- Original delivery estimate, 31st March 2021
- I was number 161 on 'the list' back in February
- Allocated build week 24
- Confirmation van is at UK port on 5/7/21
great stuff, gives us all hope. I haven't heard back from the dealer around delays but VW chat said mine was still on for the 5th July production start date but then added, due to covid expect delays. The very fact they recognise mine on the list is more than I've ever had before.
Don't forget to send pics...how exciting.

In the spirit of updates, my week 23 is at stage 5 of 8 (within status 20) estimated to be complete (status 30) in 7 days.

That was a dealer update. VW chat could only confirm it was status 20.

Keep the faith, SB

I vaguely remember when I joined the forum in September 2020, reading a post about somebody who waited months for their van only for it to be written off by the dealership in transit. I wondered if that had really happened and thought, how absurd....that was until, unbelievably, the same thing has just happened to me! Written off on the back of a loader on a low bridge. Tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage to the roof, awning and warping the top of the body of the van. I had to laugh or I would have cried. Back of the queue again for me....

I vaguely remember when I joined the forum in September 2020, reading a post about somebody who waited months for their van only for it to be written off by the dealership in transit. I wondered if that had really happened and thought, how absurd....that was until, unbelievably, the same thing has just happened to me! Written off on the back of a loader on a low bridge. Tens of thousands of pounds worth of damage to the roof, awning and warping the top of the body of the van. I had to laugh or I would have cried. Back of the queue again for me....
So sorry to hear that news. What a complete nightmare for you.

I have to cling onto the fact that it was a omen of some sort. There was a major problem at the PDI and subsequent further issues with the van. I was worried regarding warranty etc going forward.

So sorry to hear that news. What a complete nightmare for you.
Thanks Stuart. I wouldn't wish it on anyone..... for a number of reasons, I have to accept that all things work towards good. The significance of the build issues/malfunctions was definitely a concern. The fact it needed a completely new tailgate for starters didn't help.

At least some backlogged parts might get to Germany in the next few weeks...

//
After 107 days Suez Canal Authority officially announced that succeed to reach final agreement with EVER Given owners which grounded at Suez channel K/M 151 LAST 23/March/2021.

Tomorrow Wednesday 7th of July in international press conference shall held at Suez Canal Head quartz at 12.00 hrs Admiral Osama Rabie the Suez Canal chairman to announce legal settlements of mega container vessel “EVER Given” story reach an end and the vessel shall sail toward Rotterdam / the Netherlands in the same day.
//

Our Week 24 build Ocean is still in production....dealer chased for information and apparently there is a shortage of DSG gearbox parts. No idea how long we will be stuck at stage 5. (Whatever that means)

Mine is supposed to be 'in transit' from the UK port to the dealer at the moment so I hope it wasn't on the same transporter!

Mine is supposed to be 'in transit' from the UK port to the dealer at the moment so I hope it wasn't on the same transporter!
Don't worry, after a 7 month wait, the problems only started once it had a arrived at the dealer....

Hi JM,

Sorry to hear of your woes, that must be a real kicker.

the member who’s Cali was written off was @subthree, it was a T6, he subsequently got a 6.1 at a very favourable rate.

not sue if there was a dollop of good will included or if it was just that VW had effected several price increases for the 6.1 and they honoured the price of the T6 vs a new 6.1

May be worth discussing this with Subthree to see how it played out.

as a minimum I would expect VW to give you a large “good will” contribution to additional extras / options if you wanted them ?

partiularly to compensate you for your loss of Holiday this year ?

Hi JM,

Sorry to hear of your woes, that must be a real kicker.

the member who’s Cali was written off was @subthree, it was a T6, he subsequently got a 6.1 at a very favourable rate.

not sue if there was a dollop of good will included or if it was just that VW had effected several price increases for the 6.1 and they honoured the price of the T6 vs a new 6.1

May be worth discussing this with Subthree to see how it played out.

as a minimum I would expect VW to give you a large “good will” contribution to additional extras / options if you wanted them ?

partiularly to comensa for your loss of Holiday this year ?
They actually wanted to strike a deal involving me taking the written off vehicle for a while and placing a new favourable identical order.... but the whole experience with the dealership has been very, very poor and I declined the offer. I've also changed my mind (following a few hands on experiences) about a number of things regarding a van and I think I'm leaning towards a Beach Camper which wasn't available when I ordered last autumn. I also want to order through a dealership nearer home.

Sounds like a loan vehicle from the dealership, until they provide you with a replacement California, as per your order is appropriate.

They actually wanted to strike a deal involving me taking the written off vehicle for a while and placing a new favourable identical order.... but the whole experience with the dealership has been very, very poor and I declined the offer. I've also changed my mind (following a few hands on experiences) about a number of things regarding a van and I think I'm leaning towards a Beach Camper which wasn't available when I ordered last autumn. I also want to order through a dealership nearer home.
I would Discuss the whole experience with VW direct and see what they will do to keep your business.
edit :
Mention the current dealer experience and tell them you want to place an order elsewhere

Ours is stuck at the port body shop, quite frankly fed up with shite service from VW, no idea of my options or what’s happening, looks like it needs new window, scratches to bumper and hatch painted and repaired, new interior plastics which got scratched.

I have emailed the dealer to say I don’t want the damaged one and to find out if a new one can be built and expedited and what compensation I will receive having to wait again.

not hopeful of a quick resolution and the whole experience with vw has got me wondering whether to just scrap the order and go elsewhere.

Yep, was my T6 that was written off - whacked an overhanging tree and also took out the T6 Transporter that was behind my Cali when the awning went through the van behind.

VW were/are pathetic. Very painful, still in therapy!

PM me your mobile number and we can have a chat, otherwise it will be one very long message. :thumb

Compensation, no chance. Loan Cali, no chance. Believe me I wasted far too many hours of my life asking for both.

Ours is stuck at the port body shop, quite frankly fed up with shite service from VW, no idea of my options or what’s happening, looks like it needs new window, scratches to bumper and hatch painted and repaired, new interior plastics which got scratched.

I have emailed the dealer to say I don’t want the damaged one and to find out if a new one can be built and expedited and what compensation I will receive having to wait again.

not hopeful of a quick resolution and the whole experience with vw has got me wondering whether to just scrap the order and go elsewhere.
You are lucky (if that's the right word) that you were told. Damages are generally professionally repaired near the port before being handed over to the dealers. It's part of the contract/agreement with the shipping line.

Customers will often be unaware of the damage and might only find out if they notice a fault with the paint / trim months or years after (if it had not been repaired properly).

At least the dealer has been honest with you before you have accepted delivery. Or perhaps hoping you will cancel so he can add the van to his stock as a new van and sell at a profit.

Last edited:
I would Discuss the whole experience with VW direct and see what they will do to keep your business.
edit :
Mention the current dealer experience and tell them you want to place an order elsewhere
How would you get in touch with VW direct? I also have an issue with my dealer... Chat encouraged me to formally complain but that process was next to useless and only served to inflame the dealer.
Is there another way?

You are lucky (if that's the right word) that you were told. Damages are generally professionally repaired near the port before being handed over to the dealers. It's part of the contract/agreement with the shipping line.

Customers will often be unaware of the damage and might only find out if they notice a fault with the paint / trim months or years after (if it had not been repaired properly).

At least the dealer has been honest with you before you have accepted delivery.
Years later, a poor sod will go to the dealer for a paint/ rust issue. The dealer will check the paint thickness and quickly reject the claim because the car has been repaired.

Back