Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

Received my letter from VW today. Ordered a 204 Ocean on 1st Feb, had a confirmed build of week 34 but got a cryptic message from the dealer last week from which I understand that my build date is still week 34 but there will be a delay beyond the customary 3 weeks build for as yet an unspecified period. Hence the £500 goodwill gesture. I am keeping my frustration at bay by telling myself that the Cali will arrive at the dealer sometime in the not too distant future. At which time I will allow myself to get excited.

Delivery times seem to be as projected here in Switzerland:

Contacted our salesman at the dealer via email today to check for an update, and got the message that our California is scheduled (not confirmed jet) for production in the beginning of November :).
If this is confirmed we could get our Cali "around Christmas" :bananadance2We ordered end of May...

Well, let's wait and see... :oops:

PS: We ordered a Coast...

production / delivery seems to be all about 'slots' in the factory. Each dealer has limited slots and if they exceed the slots/orders, those vehicles have to be shoved in the production somewhere between the rest. They have to make a forecast at least a year in advance. So over a year ago the current slots were 'pre-booked'. That and the 'bumpy' delivery of parts cause the current situation I think.

production / delivery seems to be all about 'slots' in the factory. Each dealer has limited slots and if they exceed the slots/orders, those vehicles have to be shoved in the production somewhere between the rest. They have to make a forecast at least a year in advance. So over a year ago the current slots were 'pre-booked'. That and the 'bumpy' delivery of parts cause the current situation I think.
Sounds ridiculous, but what do I know?
Why not just book slots based upon the time orders are received? I can understand then a bit of noodling to maximise efficiencies, but why penalise a customer because his dealer has had a run on Californias? Really sounds like VW treat their dealers with contempt.

Sounds ridiculous, but what do I know?
Why not just book slots based upon the time orders are received? I can understand then a bit of noodling to maximise efficiencies, but why penalise a customer because his dealer has had a run on Californias? Really sounds like VW treat their dealers with contempt.
In The NL there is only 1 official dealer which is very economic on discounts; that is why we go shopping abroad (Belgium, Lux, Germany) and as a result all slots in those countries are fully booked. I read somewhere that Belgium and Lux are pre-booked until the end of 2022, The German dealers reduced their discounts from 20% to 5%.
The Dutch dealer still claims they can deliver in 6 months, but if you have to pay over 110k eu for a fully spec Ocean 204/4m, which costs 95k eu (incl. Dutch tax) in Belgium You can imagine where people buy.

The Dutch dealer still claims they can deliver in 6 months, but if you have to pay over 110k eu for a fully spec Ocean 204/4m, which costs 95k eu (incl. Dutch tax) in Belgium You can imagine where people buy.

interesting they’re cheaper in BE. When I first began looking at Calis I was considering importing from NL (mycalifornia.nl near Amsterdam), seemed cheaper than here. Went with the local VW Commercials dealer once I realised there was a long wait wherever you went.

interesting they’re cheaper in BE. When I first began looking at Calis I was considering importing from NL (mycalifornia.nl near Amsterdam), seemed cheaper than here. Went with the local VW Commercials dealer once I realised there was a long wait wherever you went.
MyCalifornia is not an official dealer. They do Re-import from out of The NL. That is why they are cheaper: they get discounts abroad. There are a number of companies that do re-import like them and I think its a good thing against the monopoly of the only Dutch official VW Cali dealer which is in Amersfoort.

Last edited:
I'd thought about a rear spoiler, hearing it can keep the rear window cleaner and it looks good, but £218 plus painting and fitting?. Think I'll go for it if I get the letter.
I also need an extra number plate for my cycle rack.
I wonder about the wind deflectors. Does anyone know if the VW ones are worth the money? (£120)
View attachment 84334
Rear spoiler precludes a tailgate bike rack, ? Resale.
Window Deflectors a must in my opinion and if supplied & fitted by VW then have warranty .

Delivery times seem to be as projected here in Switzerland:

Contacted our salesman at the dealer via email today to check for an update, and got the message that our California is scheduled (not confirmed jet) for production in the beginning of November :).
If this is confirmed we could get our Cali "around Christmas" :bananadance2We ordered end of May...

Well, let's wait and see... :oops:

PS: We ordered a Coast...
Wow I would be impressed if you get it in Xmas, we order last xmas and we expect ir for xmas also
Our dealer said 8 weeks from production date and same delays if it arrives in xmas times (which I dont care as I will be on holidays out so..)

I'd thought about a rear spoiler, hearing it can keep the rear window cleaner and it looks good, but £218 plus painting and fitting?. Think I'll go for it if I get the letter.
I wonder about the wind deflectors. Does anyone know if the VW ones are worth the money? (£120)
View attachment 84334
Can I ask where this snippet is taken from? the prices are different to the downloadable brochure from VW Commercial website?

How much height
View attachment 84334
how much height does the spoiler add to an already 2.03m high van?!

How much height

how much height does the spoiler add to an already 2.03m high van?!
It’s doesn’t add any height I don’t believe. I understand the high point on a California is towards the middle of the side of the roof. The spoiler is fixed to the top of the tailgate and projects rearwards rather than upwards. Whilst you can’t then use a tailgate mounted bike rack (you can of course use a tow ball rack) I’ve had it confirmed you can still fit a solar panel and feed the cable into the tailgate
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/rear-spoiler-question.39396/post-500548

Rear spoiler precludes a tailgate bike rack, ? Resale.
Window Deflectors a must in my opinion and if supplied & fitted by VW then have warranty .
It does preclude a tailgate bike rack, but I’ll have a towbar mounted one, which will be an option for any future owner so doubt compromise resale value. I hear they do serve a purpose keeping the rear window a bit clearer, and with a sports pack look good so think half the £500 VW compensation for delayed delivery will go on that. I’ll also take your advice and go for the (extortionate, but ‘free’) dealer wind deflectors too.

Can I ask where this snippet is taken from? the prices are different to the downloadable brochure from VW Commercial website?
It does preclude a tailgate bike rack, but I’ll have a towbar mounted one, which will be an option for any future owner so doubt compromise resale value. I hear they do serve a purpose keeping the rear window a bit clearer, and with a sports pack look good so think half the £500 VW compensation for delayed delivery will go on that. I’ll also take your advice and go for the (extortionate, but ‘free’) dealer wind deflectors too.

I found the brochure you got the price from - I believe £120 is for Grand Cali Deflectors - not California/Transporter ones.

The Cali ones are 55eu in The NL, fitting included...
UK brochure says Wind Deflectors are £50 ex VAT fitted (£60 incl VAT) - it's not explicitly stated, but because of the plural in the item name, I imagine that's for a pair rather than an individual unit price. Since the VW offer letter says £500 plus VAT, £50 is not too bad (£120 would be excessive): Hadn't considered them previously, but could be a good choice.

£500 for the hassle of delays. Hmmm I must ask my dealer here in Ireland if we are entitled to this gesture also. Ordered March 21 ....have been advised of build week 3 2022.
Interested to hear how you get on Lance, we ordered in early Jan 2021 told build week of 52. it seems only UK customers have got the letter so far.

Interested to hear how you get on Lance, we ordered in early Jan 2021 told build week of 52. it seems only UK customers have got the letter so far.
not holding my breath here either! although tbh it’s not “late” until next month as the dealer quoted Oct from the outset (currently saying late Feb)

Spoke to dealer today and he confirmed our van is built and on its way to the port. So this at least confirms that receipt of the VW offer letter doesn’t mean your van will be delayed.

hoping to take delivery for mid to late October which will be 8 months from order to delivery. Not too bad compared to a few I guess.

I spoke to VW chat today and they gave me an unconfirmed build date of wk 18 2022 for an order placed end of June 2021.

I read somewhere else that letters were going to folks who have to wait more than 26 wks, but have no evidence of that.

It appears to me the letters are for people who ordered Oct/Nov/Dec ish times that have had 9 months of unexpected delays not the ones ordered this year who have been told it’s a 9-12 month lead time as that’s not a delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears to me the letters are for people who ordered Oct/Nov/Dec ish times that have had 9 months of unexpected delays not the ones ordered this year who have been told it’s a 9-12 month lead time as that’s not a delay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We ordered mid February and got the letter, so not sure that's right.

With vw chat is it on the commercial site or the general vw site? On the commercial site the chat bubble never appears?

Back