Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

I think we had something similar earlier in the year, but I don’t think the dealers are able to offer any help…;-(
No rush as we are too busy over the next month anyway and no chance of getting it for summer. Ordered early November so not expecting it until end of the year.

Had a similar letter a few months back and same email earlier this week. Got excited when I saw I had an email from VW, thinking positive news, but no just the same trying their best in challenging circumstances, so the wait goes on. My worry currently is how long used car values will hold up, particularly with a registration change in September.

We are keeping our current car so not bothered about values. Probably an electric car next but not for a year or two. Just be good to have a 2nd car (van) again.

Quick question for those who are waiting, and those who have received their vans (if you’re still reading here):

Did you spec the heated windscreen?

After reading quite a few posts on this forum, we wish we hadn’t bothered now, but it’s apparently too late for us to change our order (even though we don’t have a build week).
I always thought you could alter options almost up to when you are allocated a build slot.So you must almost be a that position, presumably with a heated screen.

I always thought you could alter options almost up to when you are allocated a build slot.So you must almost be a that position, presumably with a heated screen.
We were also under that impression, and have been enquiring about making changes since February, but as we couldn’t get any clear steer regarding the price protection, we ended up not making any changes. We’ve now got a confirmed build week of 35 (29 August) so definitely no changes now.

@scottk We also received that email a couple of times in recent weeks (and a paper copy back in March). A total cop-out in my opinion as neither the dealer nor VW “customer care” can offer any explanation of why similar spec vans are built to very different timeframes. Surely global supply chain issues etc. should mean equal delays to all vans…

We are keeping our current car so not bothered about values. Probably an electric car next but not for a year or two. Just be good to have a 2nd car (van) again.
If you’re looking for an electric car -say ID range - order now as they’re on a 2 year wait ;)

Just been informed that my van is built. . Waiting transport to uk. How long am I looking at now. Ordered June 30 2021.
It’s a bit variable. I’ve seen people report 3 weeks to 6 weeks. Ours was built by 17 Dec, and we didn’t get it until start of Feb., so 6.5 weeks - but there may be a Christmas effect. It stayed on the dockside in Germany for 5 weeks. Once it reaches the UK port, then it should rapidly move, as this is a trigger date for VW UK to get the van licenced and handed over (in 14 days max).

Hmm. Not great for all of you waiting for your van - believe me the wait is worthwhile.

But for perspective here’s my recent experience (Golf GTE Mk8 - a Wolfsburg build):

Ordered v early July 21 via DtD (allocated dealer JCB in Kent who to be fair have been fantastic) for Jan-ish 22 delivery.

Straight after ordering advised likely to be March 22 build.

Update in April this year suggested Aug 22 delivery.

Update last week advised Apr 23 delivery.

Gave up and cancelled order. Almost 2 years from order to deliver a bloody Golf, really?

Ps no rare options ordered - unless rear view camera requires more chips than I’d ever imagined.

Yes, this is a rant - I’m instead plumping for the first non-VW group car I’ve acquired from new in 15 years (there have been 9 of them). I might regret it, but then again failure to supply in a reasonable timescale has really tarnished my opinion of the brand.

Ps I still think VW UK are doing a tough job well.

Just had the following email from VW. Anyone else had something similar? Any idea what it means? I haven’t heard anything from our dealer.

“Your order is in progress but it might take a little longer to be built than previously anticipated.

Like many other car manufacturers and industries we are currently experiencing some supply chain issues. Due to the global shortage in semiconductor chips and the crisis in Ukraine, our production capacity is currently reduced. While our primary concern is for the humanitarian crisis in the area, delivery times for some of our models may be longer than we’d hope.

Please be assured we are working hard to deliver your chosen vehicle as quickly as possible and your Retailer will keep you up to date with what’s happening. If you are experiencing difficulties due to the delay, please don’t hesitate to contact your local Retailer who will work with you to find the best solution, and can advise on the limited supply of new vehicles which are available from stock.”
Yep, they are sending to everyone waiting, got a similar longer email in March and same again about a week ago. They also sent something similar by post earlier in the year.

VW customer service tell you the same generic thing if you contact them and that for any more information on build dates etc, contact your dealer. Dealers can't really do anything to help and don't have much more in the way of information as the factory is not updating systems correctly due to the production issues.

I’m waiting for my van - Ocean ordered Aug 21. It went into build in week 25 but no news since then. I’m thinking that if it isn’t built and despatched this week then I’m into the factory shut down (3 weeks?) which would mean delivery some time say late September. Any thought on whether my thinking is realistic?

I’m waiting for my van - Ocean ordered Aug 21. It went into build in week 25 but no news since then. I’m thinking that if it isn’t built and despatched this week then I’m into the factory shut down (3 weeks?) which would mean delivery some time say late September. Any thought on whether my thinking is realistic?
Who knows? Not VW and not the dealers. My June 21 order was supposedly in build week 20 and hasn't be heard of since, I did get an email three weeks ago to say it was in production but factory aren't updating the systems so so no idea of progress.

Shutdown is normally two weeks at some point in August, not sure exactly which.

From information from my dealer, if you haven’t been allocated a build date yet, you will be receiving a MY23 vehicle. Not sure there’s much difference. Ours ordered October ‘21.

From information from my dealer, if you haven’t been allocated a build date yet, you will be receiving a MY23 vehicle. Not sure there’s much difference. Ours ordered October ‘21.
We have received a build week of 28 - but it was already listed as MY23 on the 'system'. So, not sure if they have already started MY23 builds or if our build doesn't start until after the 3 week factory holiday (Wk 31-33, I believe). Time will tell ...

Last edited:
Cali Chris has released a video with the differences. Sounds like they have dropped some colours, added new ones and improved the 2 tone colours. The other difference is that streaming is now standard for the stereo system. I like the silver and blue 2 tone but don’t want to chance it adding to the lead time.

Cali Chris has released a video with the differences. Sounds like they have dropped some colours, added new ones and improved the 2 tone colours. The other difference is that streaming is now standard for the stereo system. I like the silver and blue 2 tone but don’t want to chance it adding to the lead time.
The biggest difference is the new roof tent fabric which he almost glosses over as the description simply says "new material with re-enforced specifications".

According to caliboard.de where people are posting pics of the new material, apparently from the factory, it seems like it will be two layers and have a higher HH (water resistance) rating - reportedly going from 3000mm to 7500mm. It will also insulate light, noise and heat better.

Again, according the caliboard.de, the new material will be introduced from BW 39 so 3rd week in September onwards. Normally the MY23 changes happen after the factory shutdown in August when the line is re-tooled accordingly, but the roofs are made externally and delivered as a ready to fit unit, so guess they just drop in as previously.

Last edited:
Another pointless video from Chris with literally zero actual info - esp as he missed out most of the new config options such as oak doors and for < 2 mins of the whole piece talked about updates. His last "factory update" was a waste of ear energy - IMHO this one was no better.

Yes the first 3-4 minutes was about the new look in showrooms!! The updated fabric might negate the need for a liner? Didn’t realise they had the oak as an option now.

Another pointless video from Chris with literally zero actual info - esp as he missed out most of the new config options such as oak doors and for < 2 mins of the whole piece talked about updates. His last "factory update" was a waste of ear energy - IMHO this one was no better.
Nice seating in the Sales floor though ..

Guessing he doesn't really have any more info than the rest of us at present .. Not sure I would fully trust the configurator options right now - noticed today that the 'Increased Alternator Capacity' option has now been joined by the 'Bigger Battery and Increased Alternator' previous option. But the 'Bulkhead Deleted' and £630 'Sliding Door on Right' options remain .... Seems that maybe it will eventually get back to Cali-specific ...

Yes the first 3-4 minutes was about the new look in showrooms!! The updated fabric might negate the need for a liner? Didn’t realise they had the oak as an option now.
Not sure oak is actually an option on the Ocean, seemed like it was a configurator error. I tried specing a van with it and nothing changed in any of the images at the end.

Might make sense though, drop the Coast to simplify manufacture but allow Oak as an option in the Ocean instead. You could also make the argument it works the other way and adds more complexity though. Typical VW :D

Not sure oak is actually an option on the Ocean, seemed like it was a configurator error. I tried specing a van with it and nothing changed in any of the images at the end.

Might make sense though, drop the Coast to simplify manufacture but allow Oak as an option in the Ocean instead. You could also make the argument it works the other way and adds more complexity though. Typical VW :D
It was an option in Europe. Not sure if UK market, so maybe a hangover from the EU configurator

Not sure oak is actually an option on the Ocean, seemed like it was a configurator error.
It's there & working on the configurator but probably wouldn't go through as an order.

Advice from my dealer is look at the brochure, if they've gone to the trouble of printing a brochure with it as an option they probably meant to do it, rather than trusting the configurator which takes about 6 months for VW to get right after every update.

The biggest difference is the new roof tent fabric which he almost glosses over as the description simply says "new material with re-enforced specifications".

According to caliboard.de where people are posting pics of the new material, apparently from the factory, it seems like it will be two layers and have a higher HH (water resistance) rating - reportedly going from 3000mm to 7500mm. It will also insulate light, noise and heat better.

Again, according the caliboard.de, the new material will be introduced from BW 39 so 3rd week in September onwards. Normally the MY23 changes happen after the factory shutdown in August when the line is re-tooled accordingly, but the roofs are made externally and delivered as a ready to fit unit, so guess they just drop in as previously.
That sounds like an awesome upgrade! A small positive for those waiting and waiting…

With the way our orders are going, we'll have all the new MY23 bits added...!

Trouble is, they've deleted the two tone Bay Leaf Green/Candy White (which ours is), so wont be happy about that....;-(

Despite the sales manager telling me he'd update me last week after speaking with the factory.......silence...;-) Not that I was expecting anything of course...

With the way our orders are going, we'll have all the new MY23 bits added...!

Trouble is, they've deleted the two tone Bay Leaf Green/Candy White (which ours is), so wont be happy about that....;-(

Despite the sales manager telling me he'd update me last week after speaking with the factory.......silence...;-) Not that I was expecting anything of course...
According to California Chris, Bay Leaf Green and Copper Bronze are deleted completely from the whole Transporter range, but as far as I can see, they are still available on the base van. Either way, there will still be requirements for pre-sprayed replacement panels / parts for repair work, so they will still have some paint. It's usual to change some colours each year, so they've done this before and must plan to have a period of switch over.

If anything, orders in the deleted colours would move up the list to clear them I guess?

incidentally, I've had no reply either but wasn't expecting one either.

According to California Chris, Bay Leaf Green and Copper Bronze are deleted completely from the whole Transporter range, but as far as I can see, they are still available on the base van. Either way, there will still be requirements for pre-sprayed replacement panels / parts for repair work, so they will still have some paint. It's usual to change some colours each year, so they've done this before and must plan to have a period of switch over.

If anything, orders in the deleted colours would move up the list to clear them I guess?

incidentally, I've had no reply either but wasn't expecting one either.

I have a two tone bay leaf green on order and was originally expecting Jan - April 2023. But have been given a build week of 24 (still in status 20 as of 2 weeks ago though)

So they could be getting all the bay leaf green ordered fulfilled asap

Back