Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

We got this e-mail from VWUK on Monday (25/7), so maybe something happening:

Good news. Your order is moving along nicely and we're busy building your California to your exact specifications.
We'll be in touch with more news soon. In the meantime, you can get in touch with your Van Centre below if you need any help.

Build week was wk28 - 11th July. Our order was confirmed as a MY23 build too.

We ordered in Bay Leaf Green and with a towbar, but maybe we are now in the wait queue too? I think the original order colours will still come through though, it's not like there is no more green paint left - at least hope so...
Its interesting (!!) that some customers get emails direct from VWUK about their order, while others like me don't.

Its also interesting that yours is described as a MY23 build. Does that mean it gets the upgraded pop-top canvas...? That would be a nice addition...;-)

From all the other orders I've looked at, the tow bar does seem to be a common cause (although not always) of the delays in build. I guess they have limited supply and a few do get built with tow bars while others miss out.

Its interesting (!!) that some customers get emails direct from VWUK about their order, while others like me don't.

Its also interesting that yours is described as a MY23 build. Does that mean it gets the upgraded pop-top canvas...? That would be a nice addition...;-)

From all the other orders I've looked at, the tow bar does seem to be a common cause (although not always) of the delays in build. I guess they have limited supply and a few do get built with tow bars while others miss out.
Yes, their e-mails do seem to be inconsistent. two days after our Dealer advised of the Status 20 build date we got the 'Sorry it's delayed' e-mail from VW - so not entirely joined up.

This is a screenshot of the MY23 status.

1659087943675.png
I'm guessing that the e-mail suggests that there is now a chassis sitting on the line at the factory in anticipation of the post-closedown to actually start the build. So, I'm thinking end of Aug build and delivery sometime end of Sept, assuming no shortage of parts.

The new canvas seems to not be ready until wk39 though, so not really sure on that. One that fits well and doesn't rust seems to be the best hope..

Hoping you get some better, or at least more detailed news, on yours soon. A May build really ought to have progressed by now. Thought that I saw someone had theirs turn up out of the blue the other day, so you never know for sure ...

Yes, their e-mails do seem to be inconsistent. two days after our Dealer advised of the Status 20 build date we got the 'Sorry it's delayed' e-mail from VW - so not entirely joined up.

This is a screenshot of the MY23 status.

View attachment 96895
I'm guessing that the e-mail suggests that there is now a chassis sitting on the line at the factory in anticipation of the post-closedown to actually start the build. So, I'm thinking end of Aug build and delivery sometime end of Sept, assuming no shortage of parts.

The new canvas seems to not be ready until wk39 though, so not really sure on that. One that fits well and doesn't rust seems to be the best hope..

Hoping you get some better, or at least more detailed news, on yours soon. A May build really ought to have progressed by now. Thought that I saw someone had theirs turn up out of the blue the other day, so you never know for sure ...
And its Bay leaf Green so VW are still painting previously ordered MY23 vehicles in that colour

We've been told today our Ocean is now built and in transit to the port. It had been scheduled as a week 25 build. Super excited but I'm sure it's frustrating news for those people who have earlier build dates and are still waiting.
Does yours have a tow bar..?

Bet you're excited...;-)

We've been told today our Ocean is now built and in transit to the port. It had been scheduled as a week 25 build. Super excited but I'm sure it's frustrating news for those people who have earlier build dates and are still waiting.
Congrats, exciting times, enjoy when it arrives.

Interesting, so about 6 weeks from Build date to leaving the factory. I wonder if there were delays or if that is about 'normal' progress?

Congrats, exciting times, enjoy when it arrives.

Interesting, so about 6 weeks from Build date to leaving the factory. I wonder if there were delays or if that is about 'normal' progress?
afaik 6-8 total weeks from build start to delivery is considered typical but can be quicker if your van is lucky and arrives at the port just before a boat sails / transporter leaves for the dealer.

In terms of actual time in factory, one week, maybe two at worst so I'd say 6 weeks is a long delay but probably not unusual atm

Last edited:
Ah yes, that was very unfortunate/"How is that possible?".
@Corradobrit
Although the cherry red was beautiful, still went for our ascot grey and glad I did.
How it was possible? Somebody didn’t change the colour I guess. It was red because the dealer needed to put a colour on the order form on the computer or he couldn’t make a total and calculate the discount; put red in and later changed to ascot grey but ‘someone’ didn’t change it. Dealer said it was with the main dealer in Brussel. I tried to make the red one ‘mine’ in my mind but it didn’t work.
It happened and now it is in the past. Love our grey one and we are just back home from our first long summer holiday and saw one other in ascot grey: last day (yesterday), Germans and they waved passing us.
But every time I see a cherry red cali, I smile because they are beautiful.

Does yours have a tow bar..?

Bet you're excited...;-)
Tow bar prep rather than a tow bar.

I'm very excited. I'd given up hope of getting it any time soon and was actually checking availability last night for hiring a van for something we have planned early September. I really hope you also get some positive news soon.

I have just got an email saying that our van has slot - build week 36. Hopefully see it before the end of the year! 8 weeks would take us to early November. This update came from Autoebid who have been great.

I have just got an email saying that our van has slot - build week 36. Hopefully see it before the end of the year! 8 weeks would take us to early November. This update came from Autoebid who have been great.
Does yours have a tow bar...?

I'm asking as ours has been in build since wk20 and it's stuck waiting parts, I'm not sure what though.

Our Ocean now in transit to dealers. Next week or two. Private reg docs sent. Small difference (£130) in new invoice sent compared to original invoice from last June but a phone call to Liverpool VW sorted that. Increased costs are extra £40 delivery charge +vat and extra £15 on road tax. Out shopping for some more bits.

Our Ocean now in transit to dealers. Next week or two. Private reg docs sent. Small difference (£130) in new invoice sent compared to original invoice from last June but a phone call to Liverpool VW sorted that. Increased costs are extra £40 delivery charge +vat and extra £15 on road tax. Out shopping for some more bits.
How exciting! Happy shopping.

Great news! Do you know how long you waited from the van being built to it being in transit to dealer?

And what bits are you buying!!

PS - I’m also a Liverpool delivery

Great news…bet the excitement is really building

When did you order, what was your build date and do you have a tow bar..?

Again, I’m trying to find a pattern as to why our June 21 order, Wk20 build is still stuck in build. Ours is also from Liverpool.

Ordered end of June 21, got a build date of week 25, told 3 weeks ago that built and awaiting shipping. Told last Thursday that it is in transit to Liverpool. No tow bar. Just ,
nav pro
all weather tyres
chrome pack
mettalic grey

Ordered end of June 21, got a build date of week 25, told 3 weeks ago that built and awaiting shipping. Told last Thursday that it is in transit to Liverpool. No tow bar. Just ,
nav pro
all weather tyres
chrome pack
mettalic grey
Great, thanks.

I’m pretty sure it’s the tow bar that is delaying ours.

The waiting is getting really tedious..!

Status update. End July 21 order, several provisional build week updates since that time and also had call from dealer re: option to delete side assist, which we didn’t take up. Confirmed build week 27 (4th July) and now built awaiting shipping. Dealer expects to have it by mid August.

Status update. End July 21 order, several provisional build week updates since that time and also had call from dealer re: option to delete side assist, which we didn’t take up. Confirmed build week 27 (4th July) and now built awaiting shipping. Dealer expects to have it by mid August.
Tow bar...?

Our Irish Candy White/Bay Leaf Coast (manual, 150bhp) finally arrived last Monday, after October 2021 Order! Believe it went into production beginning of June, spent from June 16th at Emden till shipping about July 10th or so.

Having not really seen inside one since October I’m surprised how much more storage there is and space vs what I recalled and it feels so very well thought through, everyone absolutely loves it, just absolute game changer really. (With the long wait time, have been regularly reading here and especially over-thinking the colour choice - no need. LOVE it, it’s opening up a whole new lifestyle now, really very happy!)

Some pics from the West of Ireland overlooking the Atlantic and first trip the other day.

8F0E68CE-0E20-4681-8A36-6D9925394EC1.jpeg

7054F9A2-400B-46CD-8405-BBE0D626B1BA.jpeg

10CCD5C2-C516-47FC-AFEB-A4F5891A565E.jpeg

Our Irish Candy White/Bay Leaf Coast (manual, 150bhp) finally arrived last Monday, after October 2021 Order! Believe it went into production beginning of June, spent from June 16th at Emden till shipping about July 10th or so.

Having not really seen inside one since October I’m surprised how much more storage there is and space vs what I recalled and it feels so very well thought through, everyone absolutely loves it, just absolute game changer really. (With the long wait time, have been regularly reading here and especially over-thinking the colour choice - no need. LOVE it, it’s opening up a whole new lifestyle now, really very happy!)

Some pics from the West of Ireland overlooking the Atlantic and first trip the other day.

View attachment 96971

View attachment 96972

View attachment 96973
It looks fabulous. And what a view for your first trip!

Back