Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

Ordered mine mid march 22 and due in December 22
Dealer just come back to me stating I have no current build date as I expected but vans are turning up sooner than original date provided. He’s asked would I be in a position to take the van if it turned up in early 23. Let’s see what happens.

Thanks for ruining my weekend. I was told my replacement would be delivered before last Sept. Still waiting so I guess Spring might be on the cards. First world problems I guess.:headbang
How can I ruin your weekend? I’m talking about our order, in Belgium, in another year? Yours will come :thumb
I've been driving ours for a good six months now and only now to my satisfaction: how long you wait for it is less important than receiving a good one (or that was more or less well put together). Our cali was already a lot at the dealer and now everything seems fine. I hope so. In the meantime I already had an minor accident, but for that I have a good all-in insurance ;)

Last edited:
How can I ruin your weekend? I’m talking about our order, in Belgium, in another year?
I've been driving ours for a good six months now and only now to my satisfaction: how long you wait for it is less important than receiving a good one (or that was more or less well put together). Our cali was already a lot at the dealer and now everything seems fine. I hope so. In the meantime I already had an minor accident, but for that I have a good all-in insurance ;)
Lost is translation.
I was told to expect a minimal wait time for my replacement ie 4 months, but given your experience it could be 20 months, which if that did happen, would mean I waited a total of 38 months or just over 3 years.
As things currently stand ie 24 months since placing my original order I'm going to assume VW don't prioritise efforts to rectify their cockups

Lost is translation.
I was told to expect a minimal wait time for my replacement ie 4 months, but given your experience it could be 20 months, which if that did happen, would mean I waited a total of 38 months or just over 3 years.
As things currently stand ie 24 months since placing my original order I'm going to assume VW don't prioritise efforts to rectify their cockups
No, they don’t although our dealer tried to rectify but they couldn’t foresee the extra 12 months (total 20 months). Well, when yours arrive, you will be happy but keep in mind they are ‘hand build’ based on a completely machine build van and that can give troubles. It can also be seen that quality is no longer a priority (was the idea of their recently dismissed boss; that and electrifying all things). And that's actually my biggest disappointment; If I had known, I probably would have been better off buying a secondhand t5.1 (and yes, even with the electro-hydraulic roof which I'm not a fan of). Sorry if this comes across as pessimistic and a bit demotivating for those still waiting for their new cali but there are issues here and there with the californias T6.1 and this is reality. Fortunately, there are also many without issues or with minor problems. Also think like this: everything can be solved.
Well, it is what it is and I'm glad the annoying creaking over our windshield has been resolved (and I really hope for good). Let the good times begin! :thumb

Edit: I'm not sad or angry at VW and/or the dealer or whatever, just realistic because a California can bring you in higher spheres - and that's how it should be - but also might irritate you so much that you would rather made a different decision than spend all your money on something like that. Anyway: I waited with a smile for ours (20 months) and was happy as a child when he was finally there. I even was proud, proud of what we had bought and looked forward to the many kilometers we would make with it, both travels and commuting traffic. Then, very soon, we got bad things: a small spring too short (directly ordered by the dealer), a constantly squeaking driver's seat (been in for that many times and although the dealer did his best, I solved it myself with a full can of silicone spray). Then also the passenger door that you almost have to smash or it is not closed properly (already been at the dealer for that but not resolved). During the first 6 months an increasingly annoying creaking around the windscreen, often at the top: -hopefully finally- resolved last week. All in all, maybe this isn’t even that bad compared to T6.1 californias that have all kinds of other problems (software). I already gave a personal review of the first months with our new coast and this was mainly positive, after that this feeling went down. I kept looking and hoping for a solution for that crackling sound that ruined the driving experience. But above all, I kept thinking about our t6.1 coast that it is the upgrade we wanted from our 31 year old t4 westfalia and this makes us happy in our choice.

Last edited:
Might be interesting info for anyone waiting on a ship:
My GC was confirmed built and at the German port on 31st Oct. Today confirmed in the UK.
Called my dealer this morning for an update, and he came back to me 15 minutes later with the news I’ve been waiting for…..it’s arrived in the UK, finally! Not long now….:cool:

Yes, can be but 3 or 4 months? A new one, no no, will not happen I guess. A rather ‘normal’ waiting time can be 8-9 months. Shorter is short and longer is what they state now with us (Belgium): one year and more.
By the way: we had our coast delivered 8 months after ordering but in a colour we didn’t order; I took the extra waiting time for the van to arrive in the ‘right’ colour (they said a few months because they had some on order themselves and would have one of them -in our ordered colour- adjusted as in our order form/ didn’t work out) and it ended up being 20 months :Grin
My new GC 680 was ordered August and is due at the dealership in the next few days. So an early Oct order could very well come in Jan.

My new GC 680 was ordered August and is due at the dealership in the next few days. So an early Oct order could very well come in Jan.
A GC is different than a T6.1 california ;)
Hence the title of this huge post: new T6.1 order delays :D

Last edited:
I ordered mine early last month and the estimated deliver is May next year. I really hope it doesn't turn up much earlier because my plan was to sell my current one early next year to pay for the new one! I won't have the money to pay for it if turns up in December/January....

Will VW give me a bit time if needed?
Depends what you agree with the supplying Dealership.

150 Ocean ordered September this year from Eurovans via DTD. I sent an email to them over the weekend to enquire about possible changes to my spec & got a reply this morning saying no changes could be made as the vehicle is now in build stage & should be with them in 6-8 weeks. I'm surprised as I was under the impression that they would inform me as soon as they got a build date is that not the case?

150 Ocean ordered September this year from Eurovans via DTD. I sent an email to them over the weekend to enquire about possible changes to my spec & got a reply this morning saying no changes could be made as the vehicle is now in build stage & should be with them in 6-8 weeks. I'm surprised as I was under the impression that they would inform me as soon as they got a build date is that not the case?
Well you’ve just answered you’re own question ;)

Well you’ve just answered you’re own question ;)
I dont have a build date, just an email stating its in "build stage" I'm not sure what they mean by that, I see other people saying week x build date and so on. What is the "normal" procedure for dealers is what I wanted to know.

I had the same thing.
Ordered it August. Thinking I’d have a good 5 months to play around with adding / changing.
So ordered it Pearl Black.
Then thought in September, oh let’s go for two tone.
Rang Mike Wool at Eurovans and asked him to change colour.
He rang me back after a few hours and said he had good news and bad news.
Good was it’s only going to take a couple of months to arrive. Bad, it’s been built and no colour change allowed.
But I’m made up with the black. So there we go.
Any way you can change now is to cancel order and order the final decision…..

Well its happened to me today...Ordered Nov 21 and got the call from my dealer that its arrived in the UK and will be soon on its final leg to the dealer, so possibly available to collect within the next couple of weeks. The last year has been like white noise where sometimes I've forgotten I have ordered...reality has hit home today as if someone has just hit 'the big red button' ! Now I've gotta pay for it! :)

So, if I understand you correctly: a waiting time from let’s say 5 months?
Really?? A pre ordered van then I guess; hence why you can no longer change the specs so early in the waiting period (because the ‘dealer’ DTD has already configured the one you choose).
But good for you, wow: 5 months…

Last edited:
So, if I understand you correctly: a waiting time from let’s say 5 months?
Really?? A pre ordered van then I guess; hence why you can no longer change the specs so early in the waiting period (because the ‘dealer’ DTD has already configured the one you choose).
But good for you, wow: 5 months…
I doubt that it is a pre order given the chosen spec, specific tyres, bellows in blue, silver awning etc...
Upon ordering I was given early March as a possible delivery date & would have been happy with that.

I doubt that it is a pre order given the chosen spec, specific tyres, bellows in blue, silver awning etc...
Upon ordering I was given early March as a possible delivery date & would have been happy with that.
wow again: that's very good for you. However: there are 'dealers' who order californias in advance with the most common options (and with an ocean there are not that many) and things such as rims and colour bellows can be changed until very late in the ‘waiting stages’. The waiting time can be significantly shorter. 5 months really makes me think in that direction though; a pre-ordered one.
But nevertheless: congratulations and happy waiting; you’ll love it when it will be delivered, after wait a long time or not.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the rules are if i was to change my mind and decide i didn't want to buy the van i had ordered? is there a penalty if it is already 'in build'? Probably different in different countries but looking at the (confusing) text of my agreement i can change my mind up to 14 days after having even received the vehicle. I sort of assumed having signed the contract i was already obliged to buy the van.

wow again: that's very good for you. However: there are 'dealers' who order californias in advance with the most common options (and with an ocean there are not that many) and things such as rims and colour bellows can be changed until very late in the ‘waiting stages’. The waiting time can be significantly shorter. 5 months really makes me think in that direction though; a pre-ordered one.
But nevertheless: congratulations and happy waiting; you’ll love it when it will be delivered, after wait a long time or not.
The wait times have significantly dropped now. If you was to order today you could expect a build date in February.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the rules are if i was to change my mind and decide i didn't want to buy the van i had ordered? is there a penalty if it is already 'in build'? Probably different in different countries but looking at the (confusing) text of my agreement i can change my mind up to 14 days after having even received the vehicle. I sort of assumed having signed the contract i was already obliged to buy the van.
I would assume that you would lose some if not all of the deposit? I would be interested to know as I did want to change my spec so could possibly cancel & re-order but at a cost of £1k im not too sure. Anyone know Eurovans policy on this?

I would assume that you would lose some if not all of the deposit? I would be interested to know as I did want to change my spec so could possibly cancel & re-order but at a cost of £1k im not too sure. Anyone know Eurovans policy on this?
If you booked via DTD, then was given EV as your dealer then the forfitted deposit would be £395
Not sure if that’s to DTD or EV.
But that’s what I have written down in my notes.
So I’d get £605 refunded.

In Belgium? If you don't pay for it when it's delivered to the dealer, you won't get it and they'll sell it. If you paid an advance, you will have lost it, I suspect, but you can also try canceling and reclaiming the deposit. Apart from that: why don't you want him anymore?

Just been informed by the dealer that my MUCH anticipated Cali Coast Edition is in the final phases of production. In dumb hope I deliberately planned my return flight after Christmas from the UK, through Schiphol airport in the off chance that it might be delivered before Christmas and that I could make detour to collect the Cali before driving it back home to its birthplace. Fingers crossed my best laid plans bare fruit.... and that they put the correct engine in this time......

Given the 24 months wait I am curious to know if my Coast is one of the last off the production line as the model was discontinued a year ago.

The wait times have significantly dropped now. If you was to order today you could expect a build date in February.
I ordered my 150 ocean 2 weeks ago and was told 4-6 months, so aligns with your view.

However, I was told the 4 motion is still 14-16mths wait due to parts.

Given the 24 months wait I am curious to know if my Coast is one of the last off the production line as the model was discontinued a year ago.
I sympathize with you: 24 months of waiting time are already 4 more than for our coast.
And then I read here a few times that the waiting times have become much shorter; I don't understand: in Belgium still a year or more (confirmed by the dealer a few weeks ago). I therefore suspect that those with a clearly shorter waiting time are about Californias already ordered by companies such as DTD. They do it like this: order some and you can still change and add well into the waiting time (removing is more difficult).
Maybe your coast will get a silver plaque with: 'last built coast'. A unique one ;)

Back