Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

We have a 150DSG Ocean on order from start of March ‘21, with a prediction of 5 to 6 month delivery. My dealer currently can only say the build will be in 2021 H2 (from July). There are 520 in the queue ahead of us - so no idea when we will see our Cali but it looks like trips away in Sept/ Oct will be off the cards ☹️. I wonder if the computer chip shortage hitting JLR is also impacting VW ?

We have a 150DSG Ocean on order from start of March ‘21, with a prediction of 5 to 6 month delivery. My dealer currently can only say the build will be in 2021 H2 (from July). There are 520 in the queue ahead of us - so no idea when we will see our Cali but it looks like trips away in Sept/ Oct will be off the cards ☹️. I wonder if the computer chip shortage hitting JLR is also impacting VW ?
I have the same on order in Spain and the dealer said right at the beginning to think September or more probably October. I'm not suggesting his crystal ball is more accurate than anyone else's of course!

I have the same on order in Spain and the dealer said right at the beginning to think September or more probably October. I'm not suggesting his crystal ball is more accurate than anyone else's of course!
My 150 Ocean should be a 9-10 month order-delivery wait. Ordered in October...

Yep, been following your wait @66tim99 :(
I must admit I haven't contacted the dealer since ordering so I've no idea what status mine's at. I swore I wouldn't do that til after the summer, and only because I have to rent a parking space for it and do some other bits beforehand (such as find the cash lol).
Options were just ACC, reversing camera and the oak/shower hose.

For information, I have at last got our dealer to acknowledge the list and confirm the position of our Ocean 204, ordered Dec 15th 2020.

We are placed at 202 and is expected to go into build in June, they were fairly confident that it would do that - so worse case expect build completed end of July and arrives at dealer end of August.

We did have the towbar option but that has been removed, otherwise it would have been a build 2nd half of year with not confirmed build month.

Like a lot of people i totally understand and accept the situation, just would like to be kept informed. Hoping feedback has been provided to VW to ensure that regular updates to dealers may be needed.

For information, I have at last got our dealer to acknowledge the list and confirm the position of our Ocean 204, ordered Dec 15th 2020.

We are placed at 202 and is expected to go into build in June, they were fairly confident that it would do that - so worse case expect build completed end of July and arrives at dealer end of August.

We did have the towbar option but that has been removed, otherwise it would have been a build 2nd half of year with not confirmed build month.

Like a lot of people i totally understand and accept the situation, just would like to be kept informed. Hoping feedback has been provided to VW to ensure that regular updates to dealers may be needed.
bickie mine is 283 so im guessing it will be close after you, worrying about the new chipshortage though all over news with jaguar

Any joy with getting info from your dealer on list position and restricted items @66tim99 ?
Nothing proactive from them. When I emailed they said:
I hope you are well and enjoying this nice weather.

We have just checked with VW for an Update for you as advised when we spoke on Friday and the Factory are now saying June for Build! We hope to have your California with us by the end of June, but this could tip over into July!

I know this is not the news you want to hear and as you said the slight delay could well be to do with the Spec of your vehicle, but I wanted to let you know straight away so that you can organise things your end.

In the meantime, as soon as we do have any more news, I will be in touch straight away.

Apologies this is not better news for you, but in the meantime, have a good day.”

Nice use of exclamation marks! And they never get in touch ‘straight away’. But what can you do...

bickie mine is 283 so im guessing it will be close after you, worrying about the new chipshortage though all over news with jaguar
Hi Jim - yeah just found out about that, at the time we spoke to them, it was just the towbar causing issues with the delivery, but guess it may take time to filter through and will impact us.

Trying to be optimistic :) this forum has been invaluable with information....so that's a positive for the future too....

I'm now Week 45 build after being told June u til a week ago. 204 4m ordered Dec 31st with all 3 of the 'problem' add ons. Told removing them will make no difference

I'm now Week 45 build after being told June u til a week ago. 204 4m ordered Dec 31st with all 3 of the 'problem' add ons. Told removing them will make no difference
thats downright depressing andy but thank you for heads upon that basis my january 20th order will be looking like xmas, but then again it makes for an awesome present lol , we have to look positive i guess :)

what build number are you im 283

I was told that via VW Chat a couple of weeks ago, dealer said that was not up to date info, the list is the latest details available.....do you have your list number?

Yes I’d prefer that but neither of the dealers I spoke to would match the DTD price. That VW allows discounting puts the traditional local dealer at a disadvantage to the ‘pile em high’ lot. Not many people can turn a blind eye to a £8000 discount. I was blind to Eurovans terrible service when I ordered, though. And I have heard tales of local dealers being similarly silent, Breeze excepted of course.
I ordered with Eurovans 5 years ago and had a good price going direct. I admit that updates while waiting were sparse but I expected little else. When I called, they always found the answer and informed me.

They have been doing most of the service work and I have no complaints. Perhaps I've been lucky?

I ordered with Eurovans 5 years ago and had a good price going direct. I admit that updates while waiting were sparse but I expected little else. When I called, they always found the answer and informed me.

They have been doing most of the service work and I have no complaints. Perhaps I've been lucky?
Good to hear. I suppose my frustration has turned 'Eurovans' silence' into 'Eurovan's terrible service'. I do expect a call now and again to explain my situation as they see it. Then again, I've never ordered a new car...

Interestingly, I spoke to VW Online Chat today and they told me my build week (unconfirmed) had been brought forward to week 20 (17th May) from week 24 (that my dealer told me last week). When asked, they just said the factory has been trying to shuffle things around to slot in builds as quickly as possible. My build week has been 20 for ages until ”towbar-gate”.

I am sceptical if this is true or even the right build week !

What did occur to me though was if VW have *some* stock of towbars, but not the full qty for the order book. By telling customers that they can delete and get quicker, does that mean that many have done so, thus meaning their parts supply now = order book for vehicles with tow bars so the build weeks can go back to what they were?

We haven’t changed our order or removed our tow bar, btw.

Who knows!!!

Interestingly, I spoke to VW Online Chat today and they told me my build week (unconfirmed) had been brought forward to week 20 (17th May) from week 24 (that my dealer told me last week). When asked, they just said the factory has been trying to shuffle things around to slot in builds as quickly as possible. My build week has been 20 for ages until ”towbar-gate”.

I am sceptical if this is true or even the right build week !

What did occur to me though was if VW have *some* stock of towbars, but not the full qty for the order book. By telling customers that they can delete and get quicker, does that mean that many have done so, thus meaning their parts supply now = order book for vehicles with tow bars so the build weeks can go back to what they were?

We haven’t changed our order or removed our tow bar, btw.

Who knows!!!
I can't take any more California Conundrums!

Hi all just thought I’d chime in with our experience so far.

order placed for a t6.1 beach on the 10th February and have just had a confirmed build date of week 17. Anticipated delivery would be end of may/start of June.
Seems to indicate that beach orders are being processed much more quickly than others.

anyone had a similar timeline? How much faith should we place in the “confirmed” build week?
Hi ordered my beach middle of December and is being built this week 16. Fingers crossed mt dealer says he expects it first week of june

Nothing proactive from them. When I emailed they said:
I hope you are well and enjoying this nice weather.

We have just checked with VW for an Update for you as advised when we spoke on Friday and the Factory are now saying June for Build! We hope to have your California with us by the end of June, but this could tip over into July!

I know this is not the news you want to hear and as you said the slight delay could well be to do with the Spec of your vehicle, but I wanted to let you know straight away so that you can organise things your end.

In the meantime, as soon as we do have any more news, I will be in touch straight away.

Apologies this is not better news for you, but in the meantime, have a good day.”

Nice use of exclamation marks! And they never get in touch ‘straight away’. But what can you do...
Feels like your dealer is singing of a slightly different hymn sheet to some of the others! Doubt it will make any difference to when it actually arrives though. Had an interesting chat with some kind of manager at VW UK last week having thrown my toys out of the cot; mainly about inconsistent, inaccurate comms. He said several times that VW chat did not have accurate info (what they have is based on a batch apparently until confirmed) and re-iterated that the dealers have the most up to date, specific to the actual order. Which doesn’t help much if the dealers aren’t communicating it, and raises the question as to why they bother having a ‘chat’ at all - which he really couldn’t answer with any conviction.
Assuming you didn’t remove anything and stuck with the order?

Last edited:
Still waiting for our 204 Ocean ordered beginning of August. Was due for delivery April but that didn't happen due to factory closures, parts shortages. Early May holiday that was booked now off the cards, keeping everything crossed June can go ahead. I did tell VW I can make a human quicker than they can build a van! It's painful but good to hear some areas are coming through.

Still waiting for our 204 Ocean ordered beginning of August. Was due for delivery April but that didn't happen due to factory closures, parts shortages. Early May holiday that was booked now off the cards, keeping everything crossed June can go ahead. I did tell VW I can make a human quicker than they can build a van! It's painful but good to hear some areas are coming through.
I ordered mine 17 August and pick it up tomorrow...can I suggest you kick up a stink with your dealer .....I got mine to go up the ladder to senior people and things got moving .....best of luck

Back