Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6.1 order delays

Sounds like the dealer wants you to complete the contract ASAP and not think about cancelling. I bet given the current recession, orders are being cancelled left, right and centre.
Sounds about right

Thanks for the insight. I guess you missed my initial post.
Your initial post? Omg, and what would that be? I've been following this post from the beginning, but I'm not familiar with your initial post; excuse me :oops:

Your initial post? Omg, and what would that be? I've been following this post from the beginning, but I'm not familiar with your initial post; excuse me :oops:
The fact you've spent time twice responding contradicts your feigned indifference.

The fact you've spent time twice responding contradicts your feigned indifference.
Feigned indifference? What are you talking about? This is an incredibly long thread and I can't look up what your initial post is, that's what I meant. This one might explain why you talk about delivery times of a GC in this -initially californias t6.1- thread. But judging by your comments, let it be. I can see you're having problems with me asking it and that's not why I'm here. I'm not asking anymore.
I've been following this thread since the beginning, so for several years now and it is not necessary to blame me for feigned indifference. The fact that I ‘spent time’ responding does meant that I actively participate.

Last edited:
Might be interesting info for anyone waiting on a ship:
My GC was confirmed built and at the German port on 31st Oct. Today confirmed in the UK.
Any info on here is useful, however it is very difficult to go back through this very long post, so let’s keep it on subject eh? On a personal note, this is THE week for me, so after spending over 2 years following this post I’ll be departing it soon I’m afraid ;)

Any info on here is useful, however it is very difficult to go back through this very long post, so let’s keep it on subject eh? On a personal note, this is THE week for me, so after spending over 2 years following this post I’ll be departing it soon I’m afraid ;)
I really hope so, but best not count your chickens just yet. I did and found the coop was short of a few chooks. My fingers are crossed for you.

I very happy for you! You must feel very excited. I also thought I would leave this indeed very long thread but then you see posts from people you remember from the beginning ;) and you still want to follow them and their waiting time.
Waiting a long period for your cali (or GC for what I see) is a bit difficult at times but will be rewarded.
Some of us waited really long and man, you will be happy the moment you take delivery of your gem.
@PhilR and @Corradobrit and others: Maybe we'll run into each other and then we'll chit-chat about our extremely long waiting times (20 months for me and even longer for some) :D

Last edited:
I really hope so, but best not count your chickens just yet. I did and found the coop was short of a few chooks. My fingers are crossed for you.
Yes I know you did! Glad to see you’re nearing the end of the very long wait too. Cheers

Any info on here is useful, however it is very difficult to go back through this very long post, so let’s keep it on subject eh? On a personal note, this is THE week for me, so after spending over 2 years

Feigned indifference? What are you talking about? This is an incredibly long thread and I can't look up what your initial post is, that's what I meant. This one might explain why you talk about delivery times of a GC in this -initially californias t6.1- thread. But judging by your comments, let it be. I can see you're having problems with me asking it and that's not why I'm here. I'm not asking anymore.
I've been following this thread since the beginning, so for several years now and it is not necessary to blame me for feigned indifference. The fact that I ‘spent time’ responding does meant that I actively participate.

OK so I should have risen above your sarcasm and simply replied, here's why GC delivery times are relevant to t6.1 orders:
1. They use many of the same components and supply chains.
2. Previous lead time fluctuations have closely matched across the two types of vehicle.

I therefore thought my experience might be of interest. Turns out I was wrong!

OK so I should have risen above your sarcasm and simply replied, here's why GC delivery times are relevant to t6.1 orders:
1. They use many of the same components and supply chains.
2. Previous lead time fluctuations have closely matched across the two types of vehicle.

I therefore thought my experience might be of interest. Turns out I was wrong!
Manufactured in different factories with far fewer GC's produced vs, Transporters, Californias, Bulli's etc. Not sure they are comparable and very few components shared across both platforms. Maybe engines but thats about it.

Manufactured in different factories with far fewer GC's produced vs, Transporters, Californias, Bulli's etc. Not sure they are comparable and very few components shared across both platforms. Maybe engines but thats about it.

"Engines but that's about it"
You don't think delays due to the semiconductor shortage vs demand would have impacted all models across the company?
And that lead times easing in a GC might indicate a positive trend for T6.1 orders?

Just had Eurovans Crawley, out of the blue, tell us that our Cali is sat in their forecourt ready to pick up! No warning, no emails or communication from VW or EV saying our van is in build and will be ready in X weeks or months. Our order was placed in June this year and we were told it would be a minimum of 12 months if we were lucky so we budgeted for delivery in March 2023, at the earliest.

We've recently had a few unexpected things happen such as our boiler packing in on us so our deposit is not quite there anymore, plus it's Christmas and we have kids blah blah blah, so what should be the happiest time has turned out to be a tad stressful. EV said they've had a few people say the same thing so I can only imagine VW has dropped them in it, so to speak, with a bunch of unexpected deliveries?

Their response to the above was, see what you can do and call us back but we'll have to see how it plays out if you can't make it happen. Has anyone else found themselves in the same boat? Just wondering where we stand for deferring the order till next year?

Just had Eurovans Crawley, out of the blue, tell us that our Cali is sat in their forecourt ready to pick up! No warning, no emails or communication from VW or EV saying our van is in build and will be ready in X weeks or months. Our order was placed in June this year and we were told it would be a minimum of 12 months if we were lucky so we budgeted for delivery in March 2023, at the earliest.

We've recently had a few unexpected things happen such as our boiler packing in on us so our deposit is not quite there anymore, plus it's Christmas and we have kids blah blah blah, so what should be the happiest time has turned out to be a tad stressful. EV said they've had a few people say the same thing so I can only imagine VW has dropped them in it, so to speak, with a bunch of unexpected deliveries?

Their response to the above was, see what you can do and call us back but we'll have to see how it plays out if you can't make it happen. Has anyone else found themselves in the same boat? Just wondering where we stand for deferring the order till next year?

Not sure they are comparable and very few components shared across both platforms. Maybe engines but thats about it.
Actually the engines and gearboxes are different. There are a lot of electronics which are the bits in short supply that are common to both. Things like side assist, parking sensors and tow bar wiring is all the same components just with longer cables.

I was also in a position where I would prefer to take delivery in March next year (its even on my order form) or at least after xmas in Jan 2023 but my Cali turned up at dealer this Monday and they want registration and payment before the end of the month. They have at least been very good with communication around arrival but still doesn't detract from them wanting Registration by the end of this month.
Heres the bit you may not like which I couldn't believe...they said that they are under direction from VW that if not registered within a certain period and in my case by end of November VW will fine them £5000. Therefore as they wont want to pay that and unless I want to they will no longer allow me to have the van and register it themselves as a demo,so not to be in this position. Not much of a choice then and technically it is theirs until its yours.
As you can imagine I wasn't pleased and was in disbelief after a year of waiting the customer has such pressure put on them re financing and collection.
Whilst Brain fogged I decided to phone VW customer service and they absolutely concurred that this was current policy to promote registration of vehicles and that I have no say..either have the van or dont and reorder at the current higher prices.
To be Honest my dealer was very good at explaining and sympathetic, but it was totally out of their control and as I have contacted VW direct I knew they were not having one over.....so Collecting this Saturday.
Let me know if a compromise was agreed but I just decided to have the van and enjoy it, good luck, but I feel your pain.

I was also in a position where I would prefer to take delivery in March next year (its even on my order form) or at least after xmas in Jan 2023 but my Cali turned up at dealer this Monday and they want registration and payment before the end of the month. They have at least been very good with communication around arrival but still doesn't detract from them wanting Registration by the end of this month.
Heres the bit you may not like which I couldn't believe...they said that they are under direction from VW that if not registered within a certain period and in my case by end of November VW will fine them £5000. Therefore as they wont want to pay that and unless I want to they will no longer allow me to have the van and register it themselves as a demo,so not to be in this position. Not much of a choice then and technically it is theirs until its yours.
As you can imagine I wasn't pleased and was in disbelief after a year of waiting the customer has such pressure put on them re financing and collection.
Whilst Brain fogged I decided to phone VW customer service and they absolutely concurred that this was current policy to promote registration of vehicles and that I have no say..either have the van or dont and reorder at the current higher prices.
To be Honest my dealer was very good at explaining and sympathetic, but it was totally out of their control and as I have contacted VW direct I knew they were not having one over.....so Collecting this Saturday.
Let me know if a compromise was agreed but I just decided to have the van and enjoy it, good luck, but I feel your pain.

Just be aware if deferring that the VW finance interest rates have increased massively since you ordered.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I absolutely will feedback if we get any kind of compromise. End of the day we really want the Cali. We were happy with the deal and also the timescales. I guess our frustration is being called up out of the blue, without prior communication of any kind to say come and get it now or else you miss out.

I know it’s not what you want to hear but basically read this..

1D3A2A63-0642-4997-A23C-E0B5698FFA1E.jpeg

Just be aware if deferring that the VW finance interest rates have increased massively since you ordered.
Rock and a hard place right there :) That's the biggest dilemma I must admit do we take the deal as is but risk stretching ourselves to get the deposit or sit back and wait until the interest rates come back or close to back? I just wish they had communicated it was in build or on its way a month or two prior to announcing its arrival today

I know it’s not what you want to hear but basically read this..

View attachment 102384
I get it and you are 100% correct, it's always in the small print right? I just wish there was a clause where the seller could be courteous enough to say to the buyer, hey buddy rejoice! your extremely expensive purchase is on its way so get your ducks in a row in say 1 or 2 months' time but sadly that wasn't the case.

End of the day it's just a bit frustrating these things are not inexpensive and I guess I expected a bit more in the way of customer service. That said we'll try and sort it out and enjoy.

Thanks for the info man

I get it and you are 100% correct, it's always in the small print right? I just wish there was a clause where the seller could be courteous enough to say to the buyer, hey buddy rejoice! your extremely expensive purchase is on its way so get your ducks in a row in say 1 or 2 months' time but sadly that wasn't the case.

End of the day it's just a bit frustrating these things are not inexpensive and I guess I expected a bit more in the way of customer service. That said we'll try and sort it out and enjoy.

Thanks for the info man
Totally agree with you! (In the same boat) Hope you get it sorted.

no, the opposite actually: 9 months became 8 months and then 12 more were added. We had months extra to save. This was a stroke of luck with that extremely long waiting time it became. Now, you'll figure it out and I don't want to make your bill, but it would only have added another three months or so, so that and a boiler make the difference between a sale going through or not? Please: do not let this spoil ‘the most wonderful time of the year’, maybe a miracle will happen.
What a short wait, by the way. A record I believe.
Anyway, I hope you can solve the monetary puzzle because if/when they are ok, they are wonderful vehicles.

Back