Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New T6 Ocean arrived but advice needed?

Eurovans could well be interpreting "Charging cable" or "cable to the charger" as meaning the external hook up lead.

It can't be that usual for someone in receipt of a new van to start dismantling the thing to get to the innards to solve a problem that is theirs to solve under warranty :)

Eurovans could well be interpreting "Charging cable" or "cable to the charger" as meaning the external hook up lead.

It can't be that usual for someone in receipt of a new van to start dismantling the thing to get to the innards to solve a problem that is theirs to solve under warranty :)

I haven't dismantled anything (yet lol) I've just taken the inspection cover off the leisure battery cupboard to check the cable.

Have sent a photo over to the dealership and received one back of a new van with the lead fitted. Just waiting to hear what they'd like to do about it. The reason I'm not down at the dealers right now is that they are 120 miles away and my local dealer (25 miles away) offered to take a look in 3 weeks but wanted to charge me for a courtesy car! This is the drawback with ordering from DTD and not being local to the supplying dealership.

I haven't dismantled anything (yet lol) I've just taken the inspection cover off the leisure battery to check the cable.

Have sent a photo over to the dealership and received one back of a new van with the lead fitted. Just waiting to hear what they'd like to do about it. The reason I'm not down at the dealers right now is that they are 120 miles away and my local dealer (25 miles away) offered to take a look in 3 weeks but wanted to charge me for a courtesy car! This is the drawback with ordering from DTD and not being local to the supplying dealership.

Some people are just so mechanically adept :(

If I was to take the inspection cover off, assuming that I could find it in the first place, then that would now be a part on order waiting to be fixed whilst the whole of the neighbourhood would be waiting for the electrical supply to be reconnected after being blown up :sad

Seriously I am amazed at your local dealer. The electrical hook-up must be all working fine or else the 3 pin plug would not work. You have done everything right. A working cable plugged into the van, all switches to on, the charger should quite simply work and for them to say that they cannot attend to a clear warranty issue, regardless of where the van is sourced from, is disgraceful.

Any coincidence my van came from the same place and the first issues that needed attending to were done under warranty within a few days at another dealers.

Dan
Can you put your phone/camera in the cupboard and take pictures looking up and or behind to see if the cable is lodged up there.

Oh boy , if indeed the cable is not plugged in and hanging lose somewhere or even worse no cable at all .....
This is defenatly one for the recordsbooks on VW blunders....

@Dan , would not worry to much , now you know the cause ....

Oh boy , if indeed the cable is not plugged in and hanging lose somewhere or even worse no cable at all .....
This is defenatly one for the recordsbooks on VW blunders....

@Dan , would not worry to much , now you know the cause ....

Dan
Can you put your phone/camera in the cupboard and take pictures looking up and or behind to see if the cable is lodged up there.

I've looked behind the battery and charger with an inspection camera and can't see any sign of the lead or plug. The dealer finally got back to me and has accepted there is a problem but not offered to do anything unless I take the van to them. I've booked it in with the local dealer (Breeze in Poole) in a couple of weeks so that'll give me a bit of time to see if anything else is broken / missing.

On the whole though I'm still loving the Cali and really looking forward to our first bit of camping in it at the weekend (just have to drive round a bit and charge up the batteries ;))

I've looked behind the battery and charger with an inspection camera and can't see any sign of the lead or plug. The dealer finally got back to me and has accepted there is a problem but not offered to do anything unless I take the van to them. I've booked it in with the local dealer (Breeze in Poole) in a couple of weeks so that'll give me a bit of time to see if anything else is broken / missing.

On the whole though I'm still loving the Cali and really looking forward to our first bit of camping in it at the weekend (just have to drive round a bit and charge up the batteries ;))

If it's any consolation to you Dan I drove around for over a year with my Cali unable to charge from hook-up :(

I survived :D

If it's any consolation to you Dan I drove around for over a year with my Cali unable to charge from hook-up :(

I survived :D

That's reassuring GrannyJen :thumb Is yours all good now?

Some people are just so mechanically adept :(

If I was to take the inspection cover off, assuming that I could find it in the first place, then that would now be a part on order waiting to be fixed whilst the whole of the neighbourhood would be waiting for the electrical supply to be reconnected after being blown up :sad

Seriously I am amazed at your local dealer. The electrical hook-up must be all working fine or else the 3 pin plug would not work. You have done everything right. A working cable plugged into the van, all switches to on, the charger should quite simply work and for them to say that they cannot attend to a clear warranty issue, regardless of where the van is sourced from, is disgraceful.

Any coincidence my van came from the same place and the first issues that needed attending to were done under warranty within a few days at another dealers.
The local dealer approach is bewildering me too. I've been told by numerous dealers, when I've bought cars, that the profit from the car sale is nominal - the money is in the servicing!

This being the case, your local dealers should be building relationships, not acting like a petulant child who didn't get picked for the team. Odd.

Glad getting sort Dan.

Another thing to add to our checklist when we collect our Cali from Eurovans.
Will get them to check cable is there before we collect it .

Poor VW quality control in the factory .

Personally I would get in contact with VW Customer Services. Send them the photos after speaking to them. This should be sorted NOW, at no cost to you and with compensation. This is VW rather than the Dealers fault or failure.

Personally I would get in contact with VW Customer Services. Send them the photos after speaking to them. This should be sorted NOW, at no cost to you and with compensation. This is VW rather than the Dealers fault or failure.
I agree. If it is a missing cable then it was never tested. VW are responsible and the dealer is left to pick up the pieces with the poor old customer. Surely they test everything? Apparently not

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad getting sort Dan.

Another thing to add to our checklist when we collect our Cali from Eurovans.
Will get them to check cable is there before we collect it .

Poor VW quality control in the factory .

I would take a hook up cable and insist on plugging it on to make sure the van is getting power. Also, make sure you put the roof up and down at least 3 or 4 times and check its ok.

I would take a hook up cable and insist on plugging it on to make sure the van is getting power. Also, make sure you put the roof up and down at least 3 or 4 times and check its ok.

Great advice Dan . Thanks
Plan on going up for 2 days in case things aren't straight forward.

Last edited:
if you get really stuck, you've found the socket on the charger where 240v power needs to go in, you could a standard computer/kettle lead to plug in there & run it from your 3 pin socket at the other end of the kitchen. Not satisfactory on a new van but at least you could give the batteries a proper charge.

if you get really stuck, you've found the socket on the charger where 240v power needs to go in, you could a standard computer/kettle lead to plug in there & run it from your 3 pin socket at the other end of the kitchen. Not satisfactory on a new van but at least you could give the batteries a proper charge.

That's a clever idea, I should be ok though as I've only got one camping trip planned :( before the van is being looked at in 2 weeks. Who knows, maybe VW will suggest that as an easy fix!

We couldn't do the roof on my handover as was too windy - if that's the case for you make sure you plan a return trip or sign something to say it wasn't tested on handover (I didn't on mine, but all is ok, however I will be making a note in my long later to VWCS...)

That's a clever idea, I should be ok though as I've only got one camping trip planned :( before the van is being looked at in 2 weeks. Who knows, maybe VW will suggest that as an easy fix!

Hi Dan
How did Breeze resolved the " missing cable " ?
Collecting from Eurovans end May . Will be taking a charging cable & your photo.
Hope you're enjoying your Cali .
Thanks

Hi Dan
How did Breeze resolved the " missing cable " ?
Collecting from Eurovans end May . Will be taking a charging cable & your photo.
Hope you're enjoying your Cali .
Thanks

Hi Calimera

Not sorted yet but that's down to me I'm afraid. Due to work commitments I haven't had a chance to get it to a workshop for inspection and any free time we do have has been spent in the Cali enjoying the bits that are working.

So far we've only had a few one and two night breaks but we plan to travel across to Ireland in July for 10 days so really looking forward to that.

I'll book it in to be looked at when I get time but to be honest I'm trying to imagine when I'd actually need the hook up, just driving around seems ample to charge up and we've had the heater, fridge, lights etc on everytime we've camped.
We don't often park up for days at a time so it's not really bothered us.

Hopefully the wait will be over for you soon:bananadance

Hi Calimera

Not sorted yet but that's down to me I'm afraid. Due to work commitments I haven't had a chance to get it to a workshop for inspection and any free time we do have has been spent in the Cali enjoying the bits that are working.

So far we've only had a few one and two night breaks but we plan to travel across to Ireland in July for 10 days so really looking forward to that.

I'll book it in to be looked at when I get time but to be honest I'm trying to imagine when I'd actually need the hook up, just driving around seems ample to charge up and we've had the heater, fridge, lights etc on everytime we've camped.

Work does get in the way . Glad you have managed a few trips.

Thrilled to read email from eurovan this evening after we both had a very stressful day at work. Constantly running late.
"Yes delighted to say it is built and it has had it`s shipping order (Port of
exit released) ."
Nearly better than the glass of wine I'm clutching ...

Will be taking our charging cable x

Last edited:
Hi Calimera

Please be aware that the engine alternator can only charge the Leisure Batteries to about 80% capacity. This can damage them over time and will reduce their lifespan. Not cheap to replace. That is why VW state in the Handbook that the vehicle should be plugged into the mains for 12 - 24 hrs on a monthly basis to change them to 100% capacity.

Back