Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New (to me) Cali arrived in UK today

Thanks Gav.

This looks like it could be more fun than enough... Still no need to pay vat so that's a bonus just all the other Agro.

Thanks Gav.

This looks like it could be more fun than enough... Still no need to pay vat so that's a bonus just all the other Agro.

So you must have paid VAT + 19% need to reclaim that and pay in UK + 20% I guess?

With the exchange rate being probably more favourable now, the difference is not going to be a big sum.

Congratulation and welcome. I've just crossed the channel last Saturday with my brand new Spanish California as well... Plenty of pending paperwork waiting for me :confused:

The way I read it you don't have to pay VAT on secondhand vehicles because it was already paid in another country.

image.jpg

So you must have paid VAT + 19% need to reclaim that and pay in UK + 20% I guess?

With the exchange rate being probably more favourable now, the difference is not going to be a big sum.

Sorry I misread your post! You and I both bought from a non commercial (private seller) hence no VAT. However there are second hand vehicles out there which are VAT qualifying.

Ahh I see no problems, I was worried for a bit then.

I'm just hoping I can sort this out relatively easy as I'm only home for short periods of time.
Just need to order the V55/5 form and start to fill it in. I also hope that I've been given the certificate of conformity too. It's just on a white piece of paper with all,the dimensions etc. is this. Correct?

Mike

Pair of UK front lights bought of ebay for £32 delivered, still trying to resolve the speedo issue. Not got long as I have it booked for an MOT next Friday.....and local garage can rewire the rear fog light to the other side very easily.

Just as an update, lights were swapped over and fog light rewired. I also found a simple motorbike overlay MPH speedo transfer, which fitted neatly inside the KMH (only) speedo that is fitted and I am pleased to advise that Klaus (the camper) passed first time with no advisories!!
In fact the guy at the garage remarked about how nice it was and well cared for...so I will have my work cut out keeping the high standards up.

Hi Gav great news on klaus ( love the name) passed first time. Please could I ask what overlay you used and do you have any photos of it. Could be a cheaper option than the Lockwood ones..

My drive home starts on Tuesday can't bloody wait 4 weeks stuck at sea with a new toy back on the dry land..

Mike

Hi Mike, this was the one I bought and it works great.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111643948347?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I would have preferred a Lockwoods one, but I was against the clock and hadn't figured out how to get access to the speedo.

In time I may well go down the Lockwoods route as it will give it a more OG look.

Also my local garage (without asking) swapped the odometer to Miles from KM & I managed to swap the language on the central overhead consol to English. If you need help on that let me know.

Thanks Gav that's brilliant. I've ordered that one now. Just in case the Lockwood one can't be fitted in time..

I'm hoping the vag engineer doing the work for me will be able to change things around.

Mike.

Thanks Gav that's brilliant. I've ordered that one now. Just in case the Lockwood one can't be fitted in time..

I'm hoping the vag engineer doing the work for me will be able to change things around.

Mike.
Hi Mike, another thing you should do right now is either go on the DVLA website and order an "Import Pack" - takes 7 - 10 days to arrive, or better still
call 0300 790 6802 and go through a few menus and finally speak to someone who will get it out in the post to you within 3-5 days (who said the internet would speed up doing business - come on DVLA sort yourselves out or is it jobs for the boys (girls).....). Even with all my paperwork sorted and in place, I cannot register my Cali without receiving this stuff.....

Ahh that's brilliant. I was getting worried last week so finally called the DVLA they were helpful and said they would send out a pack for me.

It's the HMRC I'm more concerned about I was put on hold for 25 mins before they hung up. Fingers crossed it should all run smooth.

MOT booked for next Tuesday too.

Did you just stick the overlay on the glass on the dash?

Mike

HMRC was very straitforward to me, I did using online HMRC services

Was yours for a brand new one though ?

Mine one is brand new. I've asked the Spanish dealer for a non VAT transaction and, once I've arrived to UK, I've fulfilled the NOVA in the HMRC webpage and paid by bank transfer. They ask you by email to send a copy of the invoice and, very fast, you get the approval.

I'm waiting the dealer send me the CoC to carry on with the VCA certificate, don't know whether I should ask now for the DVLA import package or I should wait until I finally get VCA certificate.

Yes, I took a few minutes ensuring that I had it aligned correctly, so 30 was in line with 50 & 50 with 80.

How have you opened the dash insert ti stick the overlay? Could you show a picture of the final result?, thanks

Love reading the debate about speedos and overlays. I brought a Mazda 121 from HK to UK with a KPH only speedo in 1995 and never had a problem with it. Sold it to a new owner last year and it still has a KPH speedo and MoT.

Brought a UK Cali to NZ and had no problem registering it with MPH speedo. Attitude here is that it's up to me to keep to limit, wrong speedo is no excuse. Good job as my two BSA Gold Stars (yet to be registered) have MPH speedos.

Andy

Pair of UK front lights bought of ebay for £32 delivered, still trying to resolve the speedo issue. Not got long as I have it booked for an MOT next Friday.....and local garage can rewire the rear fog light to the other side very easily.
32£ only?!?!?!?!:shocked

Love reading the debate about speedos and overlays. I brought a Mazda 121 from HK to UK with a KPH only speedo in 1995 and never had a problem with it. Sold it to a new owner last year and it still has a KPH speedo and MoT.

Brought a UK Cali to NZ and had no problem registering it with MPH speedo. Attitude here is that it's up to me to keep to limit, wrong speedo is no excuse. Good job as my two BSA Gold Stars (yet to be registered) have MPH speedos.

Andy
Hi Andi, the problen is that VCA ask for evidences of a mph speedo.

Because the Cali has a digital speedo which can be set permanently to read mph, I'm trying to do it with no sticks, but it's good to have a B plan just in case

Hi Andi, the problen is that VCA ask for evidences of a mph speedo.

Because the Cali has a digital speedo which can be set permanently to read mph, I'm trying to do it with no sticks, but it's good to have a B plan just in case
My Cali Beach and Yeti, although UK models with MPH speedo, both have KPH readout that gives instant reading. Also has the option to change odometer to km, as well as km fuel consumption options. Hopefully it will work for you other way around.

Must admit that I miss miles, mph etc, since being in NZ. Great for the locals though as most cars here are ex-Japanese with a thriving market for cars a few years old. Locals treat them as new!

Andy

How did you opened the dash insert?

How did you opened the dash insert?

I didn't, this is a £6 overlay that sits on the perspex cover. I would have preferred to do the real deal and fit the Lockwood item, but time didn't permit.