Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New (to me) Cali arrived in UK today

Gavinskii

Gavinskii

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi everyone, I've been lurking on here for a few weeks and decided to "come out" tonight as I am the proud owner of a 174 PS Cali.

I am not new to VW's, having grown up with beetles and then Mk1 & Mk 2 golfs, a polo then coming back into the VW fold with a number of T2 VW splits screen campers (including a couple of Westfalia's).

I got rid of the last of those about 3 years ago and have owned 2 x T4 California's (the 2.4 not TD and a later 2.5Tdi). In 2013 I had a change in direction and bought a smallish Hymer motorhome - which got used for a Spanish tour and a 2 weeker touring up the West Coast of Scotland and then out to the Outer Hebrides (fantastic place).

I'm married to Deb's and we have 2 kids (21 & 17 - so we are now almost out the other side!!!)

We loved the Hymer, but hated having the huge thing parked up on the drive and due to it's size, you didn't feel inclined to just take it out for a drive for a few hours and have a picnic or something.

Anyway, I found this little Cali and struck a deal with the owner, flew out to Frankfurt on Wed night, met up with seller on Thu, transferred the cash and got it registered on German transit plates and drove back to Calais last night. A short night in the pop top last night (where the pics were taken this morning) and I finally got home at lunchtime today...exhausted but very happy with my decision.

IMG-20150403-WA0000_resized.jpeg IMG-20150403-WA0004_resized.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations. Welcome to the Forum, and let the adventures begin.:thumb

Nice one, hope to be out in Frankfurt for a wedding in May, then down to black forests for holiday all planned but awaiting delivery of new Cali for the trip. Cali due in to uk week before we go. Tight schedule but should be great fun.
Enjoy your new purchase and maybe thi about.

Andy

Hi Gavin (?) and Debs, looks like you've got yourself a nice van, not sure I've seen that colour before but I like it :thumb.

Like yourselves, we've had a few VW's - started off with a '64 splittie, then a '70'ish Dormobile D4/6 Bay, next an '84 Devon Moonraker water-cooled from there we spun off into a succession of Ford, Peugeot/Fiat vans maxing out at a Kon-Tiki then gradually coming down in size eventually to Cali and Pinky Ponk is our second one. We were apprehensive coming back to such a small van but don't regret it now, the usability outweighs the lack of bathroom and permanent bed :)

Agree with you about the Hebrides, we've been twice now and longing to go back (especially to Barra, and not forgetting warm clothes!)

Colin

Hello Colin

We are going back to the Outer Hebrides in June but this time to North & South Uist benbecula & Barra can you recommend anywhere to stay / wild camp especially Barra. We did Harris / Lewis last year Harris was amazing.

Thanks Steve & Gill

If you're going to Barra then you must stay on the beach at the airport, it's amazing watching the planes land a few hundred feet away from the comfort of your motor home!

In general, wild camping is not a problem on the islands in the more remote places and in many villages the locals have provided facilities for us to use, sometimes with a place to put a donation in to show appreciation. Also the numerous ferry terminals usually have somewhere to park overnight and again loos, chemical emptying points and even showers will be found.

In the more populated areas there are camp sites and it is probably advisable to use these if you don't want to be disturbed, we interspersed these with wild camping, at least it gives you chance to get a decent shower!

Apart from Barra, I can't remember off the top of my head where we stayed but Marg did keep a log and it will all be down in there if needed, but you will find places to stay with little difficulty.

Hi and welcome .
Import an LHD , there are few here who questiont how to...
Maybe you can start a topic with the list up of the things you had to take care , paperwork etc...to help people who are intersted in doing the same but are not sure how to start...
Not for me i'm keeping my LHD here in Belgium:cool:

Welcome to the forum
I did pretty much the same thing only from Karlstadt. I'll be driving mine home in 2 weeks today I can't wait.
Headlights are already at home for it and it's booked in to have the fig light and speedo changed too.

I wish you luck. Hopefully neither of us will have problems re gesturing them. I love the LHD dash too finishes the van off nicely.

Mike

LHD is the way ahead - its the way the van was designed to be! Anyone use the VW mobile phone holder?

LHD is the way ahead - its the way the van was designed to be! Anyone use the VW mobile phone holder?
I was just wondering the same. I see that the holder is for a Nokia 6020 / 6021 which is an Old Skool phone but has bluetooth. Now my current Samsung Galaxy S3 has bluetooth, so does anyone know if I could buy a cheap PAYG sim card for a Nokia 6021 and just set up call forwarding to the Nokia phone??

Welcome and congratulations. That's a nice looking van. Enjoy the Cali. We'll keep an eye out for you :)

I was just wondering the same. I see that the holder is for a Nokia 6020 / 6021 which is an Old Skool phone but has bluetooth. Now my current Samsung Galaxy S3 has bluetooth, so does anyone know if I could buy a cheap PAYG sim card for a Nokia 6021 and just set up call forwarding to the Nokia phone??

Old Nokia's are still better as telephones they just don't do all the smart phone stuff! To get an old Nokia and PAYG should not be difficult but I was hoping VW might do an updated holder - it seems unbelievable that they were still putting these in 2006 cars - just goes to show how technology is moving.

Anyway, this is hijacking the thread!;)

Hi I'm thinking of importing a left hand drive can you explain the ins and outs what you need to do to get it back to England etc regards alfie

I must admit that I have bought vehicles into the UK from USA, Brazil, Belgium & France in the past and nothing was quite as complex as buying from Germany.
:headbang
The main issue is that you have to buy a transit plate, road tax and insurance + have the vehicle inspected by the officials at the Rathus (Town Hall).

I was extremely lucky as the private seller I was buying from walked me through the process. It took around 3 hours, but I was panicking as it was Good Friday and the Easter shutdown until this Tuesday if there had been any hitches.

If you have any specific questions please let me know HTH

Regards
Gavin

another refugee reaches the Darkside
look fwd to catching up with you!

I must admit that I have bought vehicles into the UK from USA, Brazil, Belgium & France in the past and nothing was quite as complex as buying from Germany.
:headbang
The main issue is that you have to buy a transit plate, road tax and insurance + have the vehicle inspected by the officials at the Rathus (Town Hall).

I was extremely lucky as the private seller I was buying from walked me through the process. It took around 3 hours, but I was panicking as it was Good Friday and the Easter shutdown until this Tuesday if there had been any hitches.

If you have any specific questions please let me know HTH

Regards
Gavin
cheers what costs are involved doing this may iask why you went for this route to get a California cheers

Cost's in Germany were around £200 for everything.

Why this route? I wanted a left hooker as I intend to use it on the continent a lot. The specs and equipment are typically better than UK buses of this era.

With a Euro being circa 72p (last week) the Eurozone is attractive at the moment.

Germany seemed to have the most reasonably priced vans and the largest selection. If you don't know it, check out www.mobile.de though make sure you check out vehicles under both the motorhome tab and the car tab ;)

thanks for replying im a bit of an anorak on the California just cant quite afford one yet know what you mean about the euro some good deals in Germany a lot more for sale mostly high miles but mainly fsh got a t5 kitted out eberspacer 4 leisure batteries smev etc etc just no roof would appreciate it if you share your dvla journey ie speedo headlights etc cheers

Pair of UK front lights bought of ebay for £32 delivered, still trying to resolve the speedo issue. Not got long as I have it booked for an MOT next Friday.....and local garage can rewire the rear fog light to the other side very easily.

Pair of UK front lights bought of ebay for £32 delivered, still trying to resolve the speedo issue. Not got long as I have it booked for an MOT next Friday.....and local garage can rewire the rear fog light to the other side very easily.
your bus looks good enjoy it thanks

I've found the speedo on Lockwood the make all the different dials for around £50 I'll order one as soon as I remember what dash clocks it has.
I ordered my lights from my local TPS and got them at trade prices.

By the sounds of it you havelots of experience registering vehicles if I get stuck would you mind helping out.?

Mike

I've found the speedo on Lockwood the make all the different dials for around £50 I'll order one as soon as I remember what dash clocks it has.
I ordered my lights from my local TPS and got them at trade prices.

By the sounds of it you havelots of experience registering vehicles if I get stuck would you mind helping out.?

Mike
Yeah, they look OEM - just don't fancy damaging my dash trying to work out a way in....

Glad to help with any registration issues. Though it seems like a lot has changed since I previously brought my splitscreen's into the UK!

I had to wade through the NOVA forms https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview