Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our grand California alternative

Hi @Jay20cali, a few questions if you don’t mind?

Coming from the Columbus how did you find the internal cupboard storage, was it sufficient or have you needed to be creative?

Have you found the interior space much different from your Columbus?

Is the fridge compatible with upright bottles like a large bottle of milk, does the fridge maintain a constant temperature when full?

Would you know if there is room for an underslung LPG tank, 22 litre torpedo type for example?

There doesn’t appear anywhere to mount a TV, do you have any experience of this?

Thanks a million

By the way, it’s a beautiful looking van.
Hiya billylou
So coming from a columbus the Sven is very similar but feels like a smaller van ,it looks smaller and feels slightly more compact but in a good way
I really did like the Columbus but didn’t like the quality of the Fiat after always having a vw.
It wasn’t bad bet the paint finish was pretty commercial tbh.
The Sven definitely has plenty room and the storage is massive.
We have two big plastic boxes in the bk one for camping equipment and the other shoes/coats and bags.
There’s plenty room in the top cupboards for clothes.
the cupboard next to the drawers I fitted shelves in,and all our cups plates pots pans brewing equipment fit in there nicely .
In the drawers we put all our stuff pot towels food snacks ect.more than enough room
The fridge is the best fridge we have ever had in a van it’s absolutely massive and big bottles of milk pop wine beer everything fits in easily the top fridge we put fresh food ect.
It’s a big fridge we love it has two separate parts.
Not sure about the gas log thing but bear in mind only the cooker hob uses gas
We have a mid size calor in there and I have not changed it in two years
I made a little bracket for the tv that slots in the roof support slot I used the same one in our columbus took 10 mins to make
All in all I have swapped and changed vans for years and now we have our Sven i done see us ever selling it .
I hope this helps slightly i will add a couple of pictures of the tv bracket and shelves
Happy camping

97EE302F-48C4-4BBB-81DC-DD035D9F9E83.jpeg

17ED253F-68ED-4E92-BF71-8C25A3E61642.jpeg

Hi @Jay20cali, a few questions if you don’t mind?

Coming from the Columbus how did you find the internal cupboard storage, was it sufficient or have you needed to be creative?

Have you found the interior space much different from your Columbus?

Is the fridge compatible with upright bottles like a large bottle of milk, does the fridge maintain a constant temperature when full?

Would you know if there is room for an underslung LPG tank, 22 litre torpedo type for example?

There doesn’t appear anywhere to mount a TV, do you have any experience of this?

Thanks a million

By the way, it’s a beautiful looking van.
Btw we only put the fridge on 3 maybe 4 max
It goes up way higher
In the south of France this summer the temperature got up to 38c outside and the fridge was lovely and cold

Another happy Sven owner then.

On my 2nd Sven. Had it for a month and it has coped well with the cold spell before Christmas.

picking up my first Sven around April time

picking up my first Sven around April time
Mine was due in March, but I picked up Sven that the purchasers changed their mind on when it was delivered.

what spec have you gone for?

177bhp auto

Is this your second man/crafter Sven?
Yes, it is my 2nd one. I bought one just before lockdown to go travelling. Sold it and went back to work.

I lived in the first one during lockdown, and then spent the summer in it in the U.K.

The first one was a MAN TGE as well.

Yes, it is my 2nd one. I bought one just before lockdown to go travelling. Sold it and went back to work.

I lived in the first one during lockdown, and then spent the summer in it in the U.K.

The first one was a MAN TGE as well.
That’s ace

I'm seriously considering making the same move. For me the spec, convenience and comfort upgrade is a no brainer. Assuming you've still got the Sven, how are you finding the driving experience compared to your Cali? I'm planning a TD tomorrow, but that's just a snapshot compared to experience.

I'm seriously considering making the same move. For me the spec, convenience and comfort upgrade is a no brainer. Assuming you've still got the Sven, how are you finding the driving experience compared to your Cali? I'm planning a TD tomorrow, but that's just a snapshot compared to experience.
If you are interested in adding Solar it's very difficult on the Sven as I understand it. With the AC and roof vents and roof shape.

If you are interested in adding Solar it's very difficult on the Sven as I understand it. With the AC and roof vents and roof shape.
Good to know but I hadn't thought about AC. I occasionally need 2/3 days off grid.

My first Sven had 2 x 100w panels fitted by the dealer no problem. One panel across the rear (the same as factory fit) and a second rung lengthways mid van. I am sure you could get panels bigger than 100w to fit.

My current Sven has the factory fit 100w panel. This is across the rear of the van. I have checked and you can get a larger panel to fit in the same location.

I have also seen a Sven with a solar panel across the van in front of the front skylight (I assume they had the smaller skylight). It is therefore possible with a bit pf planning to get 200w+ on the roof.

The factory fit solar enter the van through the roof at the rear with a Solar Controller in a rear locker. The dealer fit brought the cable in through the roof at the front, dropping behind the panels to a Solar Controller under the passenger seat.

I have had Fiat vans previously, the VW Crafter/MAN TGE driving experience is far more car like. The vans feel smaller on the road as they narrower than the boxy Fiats.

Both SVENs have been 177bhp autos. No issues with performance.

My first Sven had 2 x 100w panels fitted by the dealer no problem. One panel across the rear (the same as factory fit) and a second rung lengthways mid van. I am sure you could get panels bigger than 100w to fit.

My current Sven has the factory fit 100w panel. This is across the rear of the van. I have checked and you can get a larger panel to fit in the same location.

I have also seen a Sven with a solar panel across the van in front of the front skylight (I assume they had the smaller skylight). It is therefore possible with a bit pf planning to get 200w+ on the roof.

The factory fit solar enter the van through the roof at the rear with a Solar Controller in a rear locker. The dealer fit brought the cable in through the roof at the front, dropping behind the panels to a Solar Controller under the passenger seat.

I have had Fiat vans previously, the VW Crafter/MAN TGE driving experience is far more car like. The vans feel smaller on the road as they narrower than the boxy Fiats.

Both SVENs have been 177bhp autos. No issues with performance.
Thanks. That gives me a lot of confidence. Sounds like I need to factor in solar. Looking forward to the test drive tomorrow.

We are just in the process of finding a 6m van to replace our Cali Ocean we looked at Hymer but thought the interior wasn't great and the front screen and front seat blinds were a really flimsy design which I think would easily break,we really like the Sven apart from those dark wood look drawers and fridge doors I wish they were lighter but we might be able to order one new in flannel grey is the fit and finish of a high standard and am I right in thinking the heating is diesel just like our Cali, does it use diesel from the main tank and as we've not had hot water before is the heater/boiler system easy enough to operate?

We’ve had our Sven for over 12 months now, and covered 10k miles with no issues. We wouldn’t go back to our T5 now, much as we lived that little van!
We have the single factory-fit 100w solar panel and it’s fine for our needs - easily supports 3 days off grid in the summer months.
The internal finish is good on the whole, as you’d expect from Westfalia, but you’ll always find some opinions out there with differing views. We’ve been very happy with the quality of the finish, and I’m always happy to customise aspects of a campervan - eg I have insulated and covered the inner side of the pop-out, which is one area we used to get condensation in cold weather.
The heating is an Eberspacher diesel system, supplying hot water and heating (with separate systems). It uses the diesel from the tank, with an auto shut-off to prevent you being unable to start in the morning! It is very efficient and uses very little fuel. The boiler does generate some noise, but it’s acceptably low.

I bought both Sven Hedin vans from Campersales. Rob and the team are great, aftersales service is excellent.

Enjoy your test drive.
Thanks. I was hosted by Richard who seemed very knowledgeable. Short TD. Noise level higher with some rattle from door flyscreen and from skylight but cab layout had very comfortable and familiar feel. All compromises I would expect given increased size and larger interior volume.

Thanks. I was hosted by Richard who seemed very knowledgeable. Short TD. Noise level higher with some rattle from door flyscreen and from skylight but cab layout had very comfortable and familiar feel. All compromises I would expect given increased size and larger interior volume.
Haha, the flyscreen does rattle, easily solved! I have a small rubber wedge that fits between the screen and the back of the worktop. The rattle is caused by the slider in the top track when the screen resonates. The wedge stops it resonating.

Not had any rattles from the skylight in either van, so perhaps not shut fully.

Good to know. Not a rattle from the skylight, just wind noise.

Haha, the flyscreen does rattle, easily solved! I have a small rubber wedge that fits between the screen and the back of the worktop. The rattle is caused by the slider in the top track when the screen resonates. The wedge stops it resonating.

Not had any rattles from the skylight in either van, so perhaps not shut fully.
Hi tony did the Sven hold it's value well when you sold it?

Andy

Back