Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Our grand California alternative

Jay20cali

Jay20cali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So we have owned many California's over the years from a t5 through to a 6.1 and I love em ,
the last few years I dabbled with a few alternatives,a big white ,sold that not for me I’m afraid maybe when I’m older???
anyway we bought another cali,then we got a Westfalia columbus on fiat,the inside was stunning and it felt like the perfect van ,still a camper and still felt like camping but easier....unfortunately without sounding horrible the fiat finish let it down after owning Californias....
I struggled with the warpy panels and bad paint finish,but enjoyed the bigger van part I think when you have invested a lot of money into a van you should be able to look at it and think wow!!!!
on the fiat it was a compromise it was finished externally quite commercial so we went back to a California again,
I had heard and seen pictures of a Westfalia that sounded perfect the Westfalia Sven hedin on a crafter but at the time I didn’t pay much attention,as we had just bought a new California...
Then after going to the nec early 2020 too hoping to see the grand California we spotted the Westfalia Sven hedin on the Westfalia stand,
Wow it blew us away,with the amount of people buzzing about we didn’t get the best look in all honesty.
That was it though the seed was planted...and then the order too :)
With
Andrew at wandahome in hull...
So after many months 12 in fact of waiting our van has arrived and I think it’s perfect for us in every way..
Our daughter lives in Scotland now so trips in the winter months in our cali 3 of us and a dog didn’t feel that appealing in bad weather....
But now we can’t wait bring on the wind and rain we’re prepared:);)
Hope this can be of some help to others in our position that don’t want a 6.8 mtr van or a big plastic hightop but still want a German built campervan

79B952B2-89F7-4988-A865-6A3C2D822645.jpeg

9B7007CC-1EFA-4847-BF79-5BCA3D0C88FD.jpeg

6136DC43-4F1A-4FE3-912F-D9ED16F89364.jpeg

17F31E93-D48B-42C1-8CBF-046BA68279F4.jpeg

0E226E53-720E-4803-99A0-DD2F6E26F162.jpeg

42411362-31FC-46BD-AB2C-7B27FFAB2AC4.jpeg

78E6315E-20BF-431B-BCE6-13FF867203B6.jpeg

FD391EBE-8648-41D9-92D6-8292626E0FEC.jpeg

F280583E-DA5E-4D04-AA1A-03D7BD1D653B.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks lovely.
Just a wee question. It has 4 seats? So how do you make up beds for 4?

Looks lovely.
Just a wee question. It has 4 seats? So how do you make up beds for 4?
Like the grand 680 this has the rear bed so from factory it’s a 2berth but also it’s possible to add on a bed at the front ,,a full width single to make it 3 berths or 2 adults and 2 small children

Like the grand 680 this has the rear bed so from factory it’s a 2berth but also it’s possible to add on a bed at the front ,,a full width single to make it 3 berths or 2 adults and 2 small children
Thank you.

It looks beautiful. From the pictures the finishes look great. I can imagine you are one happy camper right now. Met some people in a really old Sven Hedin last summer. They told us the quality on it was such that even now, years and years later, it was still doing just fine.

That looks great Jay21westy.

Quality interior :thumb
It looks beautiful. From the pictures the finishes look great. I can imagine you are one happy camper right now. Met some people in a really old Sven Hedin last summer. They told us the quality on it was such that even now, years and years later, it was still doing just fine.
Thankyou it’s very good and robust

Very very interested in one of these.

Can you tell me the dimensions of the rear bed and the front bed please.
I presume it is a 6m long chassis and is it plated at 3.5T?
Also what is a typical lead time.

And finally do they have a demo on site to look at thanks.

Have just been on the Westfalia website and I have answered most of my questions.

There is no mention of the second bed and its described as a 2 berth so can you provide a bit more information about how this works or a photo please.

Looks like my ideal van if there is a second bed.

Thanks

Have just been on the Westfalia website and I have answered most of my questions.

There is no mention of the second bed and its described as a 2 berth so can you provide a bit more information about how this works or a photo please.

Looks like my ideal van if there is a second bed.

Thanks
I was going to say have a look on there website for all your answers regarding bed sizes ect...
For the front bed Westfalia will direct you towards a German company called camp sleep ,this is the full width of the van and around a mtr wide at the head end ,
There’s quite a few people making this type of bed but camp sleep and Celtic are definitely the best quality...
Celtic motorhomes do the same bed as camp sleep and it’s cheaper.
We’re yet to purchase ours due to lockdown so I have no pictures ...

I was going to say have a look on there website for all your answers regarding bed sizes ect...
For the front bed Westfalia will direct you towards a German company called camp sleep ,this is the full width of the van and around a mtr wide at the head end ,
There’s quite a few people making this type of bed but camp sleep and Celtic are definitely the best quality...
Celtic motorhomes do the same bed as camp sleep and it’s cheaper.
We’re yet to purchase ours due to lockdown so I have no pictures ...
Lead time 8months ,ours due to lockdown was nearer 11,,,
call Andrew at wandahome to see if he has a van available to show you ,
There’s plenty to watch on utube

Thanks for the information will give them a call. What part of the country are you in?

None of the Westfalia dealers are anywhere near us in Shropshire.

May just order one though.

Thanks for the information will give them a call. What part of the country are you in?

None of the Westfalia dealers are anywhere near us in Shropshire.

May just order one though.
Wandahome are in hull
So not too far from yourself really....
Andrew will look after you on price...
Mention my name ;)

This looks like great @Jay20cali . It has certainly sparked my interest for when the kids fly the nest, albeit that’s a few years away. Be good to hear how living with it develops over the coming months.

So we have owned many California's over the years from a t5 through to a 6.1 and I love em ,
the last few years I dabbled with a few alternatives,a big white ,sold that not for me I’m afraid maybe when I’m older???
anyway we bought another cali,then we got a Westfalia columbus on fiat,the inside was stunning and it felt like the perfect van ,still a camper and still felt like camping but easier....unfortunately without sounding horrible the fiat finish let it down after owning Californias....
I struggled with the warpy panels and bad paint finish,but enjoyed the bigger van part I think when you have invested a lot of money into a van you should be able to look at it and think wow!!!!
on the fiat it was a compromise it was finished externally quite commercial so we went back to a California again,
I had heard and seen pictures of a Westfalia that sounded perfect the Westfalia Sven hedin on a crafter but at the time I didn’t pay much attention,as we had just bought a new California...
Then after going to the nec early 2020 too hoping to see the grand California we spotted the Westfalia Sven hedin on the Westfalia stand,
Wow it blew us away,with the amount of people buzzing about we didn’t get the best look in all honesty.
With
So after many months 12 in fact of waiting our van has arrived and I think it’s perfect for us in every way..
Our daughter lives in Scotland now so trips in the winter months in our cali 3 of us and a dog didn’t feel that appealing in bad weather....
Hope this can be of some help to others in our position that don’t want a 6.8 mtr van or a big plastic hightop but still want a German built campervan

View attachment 75912

View attachment 75913

View attachment 75914

View attachment 75915

View attachment 75916

View attachment 75917

View attachment 75918

View attachment 75919

View attachment 75920
We just ordered the Crafter Hillside Hopton after selling our Cali Ocean, in our 60's need easier camping

Looks beautifully finished, and roomy. I wonder what those back seats are like for travelling on, look a bit tight for 2 adults?
You mention being unhappy with a Fiat (despite Westfalia). This Fiat looks unpleasant to me, but the layout looks great. I wonder about the fit/finish, but there are some improvements over a Cali including in-built LPG tank.
With

View attachment 75912

View attachment 75913

View attachment 75914

View attachment 75915

View attachment 75916

View attachment 75917

View attachment 75918

View attachment 75919

View attachment 75920

Looks beautifully finished, and roomy. I wonder what those back seats are like for travelling on, look a bit tight for 2 adults?
You mention being unhappy with a Fiat (despite Westfalia). This Fiat looks unpleasant to me, but the layout looks great. I wonder about the fit/finish, but there are some improvements over a Cali including in-built LPG tank.
Thanks for all the nice comments :)
The rear seats recline and move outward on a runner there’s room for two but not 2 20stone blokes ;)
The 8speed auto in this is fantastic just like the dsg in our cali..and the van feels small and nimble driving it.

Very nice @Jay20cali the Man is almost indistinguishable from a VW Crafter. Looks perfect in the grey with wheels/tyres chosen. Love it!

Very nice @Jay20cali the Man is almost indistinguishable from a VW Crafter. Looks perfect in the grey with wheels/tyres chosen. Love it!
Thankyou :)
And yes it’s the same animal just a different badge?
I wonder why vw stopped all these companies eg Westfalia,knaus ect using the vw badge?
Maybe to keep the grand California in its own league?
The thing I like about the MAN is the repair/service centers are 24hr

Thankyou :)
And yes it’s the same animal just a different badge?
I wonder why vw stopped all these companies eg Westfalia,knaus ect using the vw badge?
Maybe to keep the grand California in its own league?
The thing I like about the MAN is the repair/service centers are 24hr
Possibly yes, think something similar is happening with the T7 or whatever it will be called, the converters will only be able to get T6.1’s but the Cali will move on to the newer T7 platform.

With

View attachment 75912

View attachment 75913

View attachment 75914

View attachment 75915

View attachment 75916

View attachment 75917

View attachment 75918

View attachment 75919

View attachment 75920
With

View attachment 75912

View attachment 75913

View attachment 75914

View attachment 75915

View attachment 75916

View attachment 75917

View attachment 75918

View attachment 75919

View attachment 75920
Hi
We have been through the same sequence of events!
Autosleeper Stanton replaced T5.1 180 DSG. Very comfortable and quite good to drive but just too big.
Return to T6, stolen after only 6 weeks.
Reluctant to purchase another Cali after theft so went for Marco Polo!
Good vehicle but not a patch on California for camping.
A great deal of thinking and we decided to give an Autosleeper Symbol a try. Only 5.4m long, 160 Bhp and fantastic spec.
Great deal with Choose Leisure in Canterbury.
Collected 4 weeks ago and so far,so good.

Hi @Jay20cali, a few questions if you don’t mind?

Coming from the Columbus how did you find the internal cupboard storage, was it sufficient or have you needed to be creative?

Have you found the interior space much different from your Columbus?

Is the fridge compatible with upright bottles like a large bottle of milk, does the fridge maintain a constant temperature when full?

Would you know if there is room for an underslung LPG tank, 22 litre torpedo type for example?

There doesn’t appear anywhere to mount a TV, do you have any experience of this?

Thanks a million

By the way, it’s a beautiful looking van.

Back