Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New van shopping list

I’m really enjoying reading these lists, and while I appreciate there isn’t one set list of essentials as everyone is different (and a lot of the trips are different as well), it’s very helpful to get an idea of what does and doesn’t work so well in the van space. I can’t wait for our trip to IKEA for van storage :embarrased

Don’t forget these to protect your glass worktops. Lovely Brushed Aluminum finish.

Hi just had our first night away (lovely site near Cheltenham called Elmwicke) and pleased to say that - thanks to advice from this forum - all our new stuff worked very well! My list is similar to others but I would add the outwell fallcrest sides which provided extra shade and easily fit in with tailgate chairs. We stored S2S mattress and sheet/duvet in the wardrobe and then kids bedding and pillows in the underbench drawer, leaving boot available for clothes and everything else. Amazed how much space there is and how wonderful that most of the stuff can live in the van not in our house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuinely, you do not need a shoe rack.

It’s more the multi-purpose use of having the shelf that interests me.

We have a beach on order and we found ourselves storing our shoes in that same spot when we hired an ocean.

Although we are holding off on buying any accessories until we have received and used our van, so we only order what we know we would use.

Wow you've done a lot of thinking! Generally buy as little as you can before you get the van and then see what you need. Champagne glasses - yes essential! Personally we have never seen the need for a ridge monkey. I don't quite get its legendary reputation. On your 'once we get the van' list - levelling chocks are surprisingly useful so I would get a set now. Re complicated awnings, extra rooms, tents etc - they are called 'divorce in a bag' for a reason. Extra weight, extra faff. We have a cheap Decathlon pup tent which we take on longer trips and just chuck all our stuff in if we're taking the van out for the day. Enjoy your new adventures!
Everyone is different, we have never used levelling chocks in over 3 years of having a Cali. RidgeMonkeys wouldn’t be without them, we have 2 plus the RidgeMonkey griddle and pan, use them all the time.

Super interesting and since our previous reply we have "Mafalda" and had several trips away. I think we were quite prudent in what we got and waited for, here is our version of a "must have minimum" list and the optionals we have and could have waited for or not bothered with.

* Must Haves * - We have used these on all trips.

- Electric Kettle, collapsable. Found an auto off one.
- Whistle Kettle, std non collapse, Outwell, great quality.
- AeroPress (like my coffee). Just ordered the travel version to save even more space.
- 2 packing cubes, one each. Amazon Large.
- Two Ikea kuggis boxes. Fit perfect on right hand side.
- Cutlery tray insert for chopping board (club shop) but Ikea ones also fit perfect.
- Pot and pan set - camping version with removable handles
- Ridgemonkey XL
- Cadac Safari Chef 2 - using the screw HP canisters and extra hose. Also a gas lighter because the clicker is rubbish.
- Usual plates. We bought proper ones and use star shaped pads from Amazon to stop clanking
- Same for cutlery, usual stuff, but the J&J 5 in 1 tool great
- 25M hook up with cable tidy
- Small Fiamma “Level Pro” levellers. Used both times just to tweak flat-ish. Worked well.
- OXO small dustpan and brush. A marvellous little thing.
- Kampa Collapsable washing up bowl - large
- Maypole 70 quid external blackout screen. Bargain and works as well as the 200 quid versions.
- The good old Thetford 335.. No covers. Travels in boot and goes in tent through day.
- One man tent to throw stuff in through the day, 30 quid from GO
- 907 Gas bottle, also works with the Cadac if needed
- Ikea storage bags (orange zip ones) to put bedding and pillows in. Sit on back shelf perfectly.
- 2m Hose for water fill. We forgot this first trip!
- Heko Wind Defectors. Look cool. Make noise. Actually, move to the list below!

* Bought but not convinced *
- Outwell side and front tarps. They just made a lot of noise and blocked the view. Here for the great outdoors.
- Outwell wind break screen - kept falling down, either rubbish or pilot error. Didn't care in the end.
- Outwell Collapsable kettle, doesn't whistle, waste of my time. We also had a SunnCamp whistler - felt like it was made of tin foil so we threw away.
- We have the Sea to Summit SIM - never used. Upstairs fine for us.
- Colapsable broom. One look at it and the Cali and we put it back in the garage. We had a SunnCamp dustpan and brush as well. Rubbish. Binned.
- Outwell Mozzie lights. Never attracted a single one. Maybe none about....

Have done a few minor mods too with good old harness tape. Put some on the handle for awning to stop metal to metal clanks and also used to fix the cruddy tape in the pop top covering the sharp edges. Carista to stop the bongs and Ikea non slip matting cut to size and on the shelves. Works great. Extras we take but not on the list above includes a small fire extinguisher, chargers etc. So far we have found Outwell always good quality and SunnCamp is a bit cheap and pants.

We've seen people with stuff packed to the rafters. Not for us.

Last edited:
With a new van on the way shortly I've been looking at what to buy in preparation. Now I appreciate that for a lot of things, you're probably better off getting the van and figuring out what you need as you go, but I think based on the reviews on this forum there's some things that I can decide on in advance. And in the spirit of community I thought I would share for anyone else looking for a consolidated list of stuff to consider.

Most of this came from a few threads here that I've been following: 'game changers', 'what did you buy today', and 'I most regret buying'. All of it is subjective of course.

To buy ahead of the van arriving...
View attachment 95937

Not sure about the rest; will wait until van arrives and see what we need...
View attachment 95938
2 notable things missing IMO.
Levelling ramps - we’ve got the small Fiamma ones ( we actually have 2 sets as these take less room than the bigger stepped ones). 90% of time we need 2 ramps, about 25% of time 3 or 4 ramps. Level van = better sleep, and pans etc don’t slide off the hob.
Campingaz 907 cylinder - this doesn’t come with a new van! See in-store offer at GoOutdoors - £40 for a stove plus new full bottle!

I agree about the levelling ramps. We’ve just been to a festival (on a sloping site). We really needed those ramps.
We got our gas bottle (907) at go outdoors (great shop) they give you lots of discount and another 10% if you’re in the National Trust.
I can also say that a toilet tent is like a chocolate teapot. Difficult to put up or down and I won’t be going outside in the middle of the night! About to send it to charity. Thought I’d mention it to hopefully save you some money!

I agree about the levelling ramps. We’ve just been to a festival (on a sloping site). We really needed those ramps.
We got our gas bottle (907) at go outdoors (great shop) they give you lots of discount and another 10% if you’re in the National Trust.
I can also say that a toilet tent is like a chocolate teapot. Difficult to put up or down and I won’t be going outside in the middle of the night! About to send it to charity. Thought I’d mention it to hopefully save you some money!
Agree on the tent - the 2 man tent is super easy, but the toilet tent is a waste of space and a mare to put back down.

I originally bought the fallcrest and Hillcrest combo but returned the front panel in favour of the Thule sunblocker option which is semi transparent. Gives a better feeling of not being 'boxed' in while providing adequate protection from sun, wind and rain plus offers privacy.

@McDee22 I agree, the Thule is superb. Set it up very quickly - just slide into the rail and peg out - for the first time this weekend. A bit of privacy and a sun shade, it also acts as an tie-down for the awning itself, and can be used as a shade on the fridge side. It packs away very small and so I’d go as far to say it’s almost essential if you use your awning.
I also have these Brandrup sides. Brilliant as wind and rain shields, but you can’t see through them…

Last edited: