Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New VW California World to launch 30th August.

We're approaching that point, but there aren't many options that sleep 3 or 4 or even have comfortable traveling seats for rear passengers. Sven with a pop would be ideal, but most options seem to be Ducato-based. Bah.
Ducato 2.2 multijet with zf 9 speed auto is silky smooth

We're approaching that point, but there aren't many options that sleep 3 or 4 or even have comfortable traveling seats for rear passengers. Sven with a pop would be ideal, but most options seem to be Ducato-based. Bah.
The James Cook AD is what we are looking at. It’s a cool 120K! So not for a while.

The James Cook AD is what we are looking at. It’s a cool 120K! So not for a while.
Nice. But realistically we'd be waiting for something like that to hit the 2nd hand market after a year or 3.

IMG_0234.png
From my dealer

Can't wait for the in field bellows reports to start rolling in.

Can't wait for the in field bellows reports to start rolling in.
Same bellows by the looks of it so I’d imagine the same challenges. Good job there were road tested by T6.1 owners first!

Does the inside of the Sharavan look more narrow…?
It’s like the guy is effectively taking up two seat spaces when he sat in the rear chair…?

I think the Sharavan has some nice touches.

It’s like the guy is effectively taking up two seat spaces when he sat in the rear chair…?

Definitely looks it. See photo below for the lower bed in the Sharavan - looking super narrow to me.

1723966792033.jpeg

I believe the width of the lower bed is about 10cm narrower (105cm) vs the T6.1 (114cm). Thats massive in an already confined space. Makes side by side sitting for 2 full size adults less than optimal IMO, and far less comfortable in lounging mode. I want to see 2 normal dimension adults lying next to each other in the upper and lower bunks.

It's going feel like you're stuffed in coach , OK, premium economy, on a budget airline.

Another UK video. Prefer this one as she is more honest with better sound and editing although still using the “it’s bigger inside” line from the PR teams. Outside. Sure, on paper. Inside? It clearly isn't and the second door needing that gap and shorter cupboards all somewhat limiting for storage.

In the end, all Californias are Californias so look forward to new and old members who find this slightly smaller but more modern Cali meets their needs and individual use case.

Last edited:
I believe the width of the lower bed is about 10cm narrower (105cm) vs the T6.1 (114cm). Thats massive in an already confined space. Makes side by side sitting for 2 full size adults less than optimal IMO, and far less comfortable in lounging mode. I want to see 2 normal dimension adults lying next to each other in the upper and lower bunks.

Agree 10cm narrower is a huge mistake.
Let’s be honest, the old Ocean bed was never spacious.
It a shame, because I like the idea of the single chairs on rails and a few other bits.

I think for me, the Beach version might work. I use the van as a car mostly and the ability to take a bike complete inside would be helpful. That saying I now have a dedicated bike van, so spoilt!

Then the bed would be ok but I really want to see one in real life before changing the current vehicle.

I think for me, the Beach version might work. I use the van as a car mostly and the ability to take a bike complete inside would be helpful. That saying I now have a dedicated bike van, so spoilt!

Then the bed would be ok but I really want to see one in real life before changing the current vehicle.

Like the idea of being able to remove chairs, or one behind the other and space for surfboards or bikes up the middle of the van…

Another UK video. Prefer this one as she is more honest with better sound and editing although still using the “it’s bigger inside” line from the PR teams. Outside. Sure, on paper. Inside? It clearly isn't and the second door needing that gap and shorter cupboards all somewhat limiting for storage.

In the end, all Californias are Californias so look forward to new and old members who find this slightly smaller but more modern Cali meets their needs and individual use case.

Far more watchable. Fell foul of some obvious misinformation but overall a fair and honest assessment. I wonder who has been putting water in the diesel? Probably renters. I can understand the reverse or possibly putting water in the Adblue (with its blue cap).
We need a review from the perspective of a couple or small family.

Far more watchable. Fell foul of some obvious misinformation but overall a fair and honest assessment. I wonder who has been putting water in the diesel? Probably renters. I can understand the reverse or possibly putting water in the Adblue (with its blue cap).
We need a review from the perspective of a couple or small family.
That’s the problem with reviews like this. The presenters usually only review cars, not campers. As most of us know you only understand how to live with your camper after you’ve actually lived with it for some time. The way it drives is not even half the story. In all these reviews another thing that really stands out is the lack of worktop space when cooking. Once the lid is up revealing the single hob there’s no space left at all except for that tiny detachable table. That’s going to make cooking very difficult.

Last edited:
That’s the problem with reviews like this. The presenters usually only review cars, not campers. As most of us know you only understand how to live with your camper after you’ve actually lived with it a some time. The way it drives is not even half the story. In all these reviews another thing that really stands out is the lack of worktop space when cooking. Once the lid is up revealing the single hob there’s no space left at all except for that tiny detachable table. That’s going to make cooking very difficult.
I guess the idea is that you've trudged outside to retrieve the table from the boot and then set that up inside for prep work, eating etc. Hardly the last word in convenience. The sliding table in the T6 was such an innovative solution and works so well. And 2 tables is better than 1.
A Glampervan experience is the essence of this new Cali concept.

That’s the problem with reviews like this. The presenters usually only review cars, not campers. As most of us know you only understand how to live with your camper after you’ve actually lived with it a some time. The way it drives is not even half the story. In all these reviews another thing that really stands out is the lack of worktop space when cooking. Once the lid is up revealing the single hob there’s no space left at all except for that tiny detachable table. That’s going to make cooking very difficult.
Judging by comments on the Forum in general many don’t cook in the van because of smell, many never use the sink and many carry around large barbecues to cook outside. So for a large number of people this is Non - Comment of no relevance.
Just as the downstairs bed size, if you only sleep upstairs it has no relevance.
The population is growing older, family size is decreasing, camping is no longer cheap and cheerful and the demographic they are targeting want to travel in a minimalist fashion but comfortably. If they want all the creature comforts they get a Motorhome or sleep a few nights on their way to a hotel or Air B&B with their own transport.
If people want a commercial based vehicle that they can load up with a 100sq ft drive away awning, 4 bikes, 2 paddle boards and industrial sized Barbacue then it will be based on the Ford/VW collaboration van and made by a 3rd party with chipboard furniture a fibreglass roof and multiple warranty certificates.

Back