Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New VW California World to launch 30th August.

We visited Germany in early June and bought our new van after that visit, having compared the VW Multivan with a VW T6 and Crafter Knaus, VW T6 and Crafter Weinsberg, Mercedes Weinsberg, all for the same money. Based on a T6 California being small then the new California Multivan is too small, A T6.1 Semi Intergrated from Weinsberg was really interesting with an electric raising roof and a fold away shower but the price was atronomical. In the UK european motorhomes are cheaper than on the continent so for the same money we opted for the biggest one in the budget.

Last edited:
True. It will suit us perfectly well.
In a few years time we'll be driving a California and you'll all be driving Fords. What's not to like.
You'll drive a Golf Van, but I will hopefully still be driving my real California.
For me a California is the camper version of a real Transporter. The Grand California should be named different, like a Miami. The Caddy something in the lines of Haiti. And the T7 Multivan (what's in a name) should be something like the Florida.

It's just like calling the Passat a Grand Golf, and Polo a Polo Golf.
Call them different, but don't milk the name California till it's dried up.

You'll drive a Golf Van, but I will hopefully still be driving my real California.
For me a California is the camper version of a real Transporter. The Grand California should be named different, like a Miami. The Caddy something in the lines of Haiti. And the T7 Multivan (what's in a name) should be something like the Florida.

No, I’ll be driving the next generation California, you’ll be driving the previous , previous, previous , previous generation California. Who knows as you are keeping it a secret which model you have.
Just because it doesn’t suit you to change, for whatever reason, the New California does suit some, and I can’t wait to get rid of the DPF and never have to fill up with AdBlue.

If your in the next generation, you had better start practising pulling your jumper down whenever your on camera!

The new James Cook is due to be launched at the German Motor home show in October.
I'm really looking forwards to seeing that too! That's £25k more than the Sven so I'm intrigued to see what you get extra for the money.....

No, I’ll be driving the next generation California, you’ll be driving the previous , previous, previous , previous generation California. Who knows as you are keeping it a secret which model you have.
Just because it doesn’t suit you to change, for whatever reason, the New California does suit some, and I can’t wait to get rid of the DPF and never have to fill up with AdBlue.
T5.1. No problems with the DPF and no AdBlue. Just 80 liters of diesel to bring me at least 1200km before having to fill up again.
No expensive tablets to control my California.

T5.1. No problems with the DPF and no AdBlue. Just 80 liters of diesel to bring me at least 1200km before having to fill up again.
No expensive tablets to control my California.
I’m glad you’re happy with your choice .

I'm really looking forwards to seeing that too! That's £25k more than the Sven so I'm intrigued to see what you get extra for the money.....
Apparently 4WD sprinter a bit like the Hymer Grand Canyon S 4x4 but not a crossover.
Will be very interesting.

Apparently 4WD sprinter a bit like the Hymer Grand Canyon S 4x4 but not a crossover.
Will be very interesting.
Looks pretty good from the outside, not sure if the production model will be lifted like that though. On the other hand the inside is a bit blah with acres of MDF. Certainly not 120K worth IMHO

Looks pretty good from the outside, not sure if the production model will be lifted like that though. On the other hand the inside is a bit blah with acres of MDF. Certainly not 120K worth IMHO
Thanks this is great, I tried to google but couldn't find anything. I guess you're paying for the 4wd, to me the interior looks 90% like the SH.

I drive a fiat and a mercedes and a smart.....no ford in the mix at all....no wet cam belts, just two timing chains and a 100,000 mile iveco cambelt!
Thought all VW’s cambelt changes are 144,000 now. As announced in March.

Thought all VW’s cambelt changes are 144,000 now. As announced in March.
IMO you'd be foolhardy waiting that long, especially if it takes 10+ years to reach that mileage. I plan to have mine changed at 100K with an inspection around 85K

Thanks !
Didn’t know it was shown yet. :thumb

IMO you'd be foolhardy waiting that long, especially if it takes 10+ years to reach that mileage. I plan to have mine changed at 100K with an inspection around 85K
My E30 318is passed 168,000 miles and still going strong, tensioner changed at 140,000.

My E30 318is passed 168,000 miles and still going strong, tensioner changed at 140,000.
You do know that has a chain and not a belt? I would expect it to be still going strong. What goes bad are the plastic guides and tensioners. The VW engine is interference motor so when the belt goes the pistons will slam into the valves and grenade it.

Sold.
Exactly what I wanted.

You do know that has a chain and not a belt? I would expect it to be still going strong. What goes bad are the plastic guides and tensioners. The VW engine is interference motor so when the belt goes the pistons will slam into the valves and grenade it.
Yep know all that as happened to me on a 6 month old Peugeot 406 back in the day. Took them 4 months to replace the engine.
My Tiguan also has a chain.

Certainly not 120K worth IMHO
But can you retro fit 4x4 to a MAN Sven ?
And do it for £40k ?
If you could, then it would be worth it.
But you’d also have to either chop the top out and put in a pop top, or a high top and then you’d have a MAN James Cook type !

Ford are certainly milking the Capri name.

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

Not just Ford. VW are past masters at exploiting a history
The Electric VW ID Buzz Reimagines Volkswagen's Beloved Microbus
The Original Volkswagen Bus vs. the ID. Buzz | U.S. News

And we have come full circle with the Sharavan having a schnozz surgically reattached.

The Brilliant Volkswagen Advertising Of The 1960s

Back