Newbie looking for direction

• Thread starter Campervanningwithkid
  • Start date
C

Campervanningwithkid

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello
I’m looking to buy my first California, and after looking through multiple adverts/specs/photos etc I feel totally overwhelmed and even more baffled!
I know there are many many variables, but if anyone could provide a little direction to narrow down my search I would be grateful.
Looking at prices I think 2017 and older or a higher mileage 2018 fits my budget, and my non negotiables, would be parking sensors, night heater, and some way to attach a drive away awning (I haven’t investigated any of these options yet, so I’m assuming a awning rail?) I know I don’t want a beach as we need a fridge and storage.
Also not being very clued up on the engine side, is there anything better/worse, that I should be including/excluding on?
thanks in advance

This will open a can of worms. You could get hundreds of opinions yet the only one that matters is yours. Have you tried hiring one to try things out to get a better idea of what YOU need. As opinions go, and others will not agree with me:
150 2WD DSG Euro 6 engine (204 4WD only an ego trip unless going to do a lot of off road - I will be in trouble here!)
No awning - I hate them

As suggested, definitely hire one. Have a look in the VW California Hire section on this forum. There is bound to be someone near you who hires them. We are in Southampton if that is of any use.

Ha, I opened a can of worms when I asked a family member who is a VW commercial sales bod for advice, so that’s ok!
I guess I was looking more for the ‘avoid this’ as it’s not got sensors etc, although I know each van is individually spec’d new so that probably isn’t helpful.
I’m just finding it hard to narrow down what I should spend my time to look at - for example on paper there is one in Scotland that fits perfectly, but that is miles away from me, but I would travel if I though it was as perfect as it could be.

:welcome
Drive away awning can be attached to the wind out awning via Kador strip.
search the site for lots of posts.
engine:
essentially very similar:
150 solid unit, single turbo with surprising amount of power, loads of torque, good acceleration and top end cruising speeds.
204 solid unit, twin turbo with possibly too much power in certain instances , (inducing wheel spin), advocates swear by the extra power.

night heater is something most will want
parking sensors front and rear Very useful
rear camera extremely useful
cruise control /ACC
tow bar or rear mounted bike rack ?

as with any vehicle, personal choice vs Budget vs availability will affect your decision

Welcome to the foum and the daunting task of finding the right Cali for you!
There is plenty of advice (and opinions!) on this forum. Most California Oceans are spec’d well and have everything you’d need, other bells and whistles are just that. Rear view camera is very useful, LED headlights are fab but unless it’s your daily and you’re doing a lot of night driving shouldn’t be a deal breaker if you find the right van. Be prepared to travel to get “the one” it is worth it.
I see you’re in Oxford, I’m in Witney if ever you want a chat about anything I’m fairly local to you, happy to meet up and talk Cali’s anytime!
Unfortunately I’m currently in between Vans so don’t have one to show but have owed a couple over the last 5 years so very familiar with them.
Good luck, be patient but don’t procrastinate too much as they are still selling reasonably well in the second hand market due to very long lead times on new orders.

Thanks for the advice / opinions thus far, I feel a spreadsheet coming on!
Good tip on the not procrastinating, it’s probably a fault of mine particularly if I have any doubt, and by the time I’ve talked myself round it’s too late…..part of the reason I’m looking now, and not 18 months ago!

Awning rails are standard on both sides on the whole range. Drive away strips of various sizes attach them to the van or wind out awning. As said earlier I also hate them,if theres 2 of you or less give it a miss. Oceans or t5 se all have night heater fitted standard, if you go coast or beach you need to double check that. As for engines it's a but like a cock. 6 inch is adequate but 8 inch is better. So go 204

You will find everyone has their own opinion and for me an owning is essential as we have a comfortz room. I recon we have used our diesel heater maybe once or twice in 6 and a half years, mainly because we are at a campsite with hookup and we carry a fan heater.
We have a porta potti which is extremely handy when it’s bucketing down at 3 in the morning.
Levelling blocks we bought and never used as we found it made very little difference. We carry a small oven we bought in Aldi for £20.its brilliant plus we have 2 small £10 gas cookers as we never cook inside the van, we set everything up in the comfortz room.
25 metres cable for hookup and a flat hose for filling the water tank.
Like I said EVERYONE is different and you won’t know until you try it for yourself. Good luck and happy camping..

Awning rails are standard on both sides on the whole range. Drive away strips of various sizes attach them to the van or wind out awning. As said earlier I also hate them,if theres 2 of you or less give it a miss. Oceans or t5 se all have night heater fitted standard, if you go coast or beach you need to double check that. As for engines it's a but like a cock. 6 inch is adequate but 8 inch is better. So go 204
It’s not size but what you do with it that counts.
150 has better fuel economy, and less wheel scrabble, suiting the vehicle better. It accelerates brilliantly and will cruise at 90mph effortlessly all day. Save your money and burn less fuel, unless you need 4motion, which unless you want to do serious off roaring you don’t. There’s a recent post on here comparing a 4motion and 2WD on a long trip on icy roads in Scandinavia - neither put a foot wrong.

DSG is a boon as it lets you enjoy the scenery without worrying about gear selection plus in cruise will change gear if hilly.
150 (can be remapped) 204 4 Motion (4 wheel drive) avoids wheel spin on slippery surfaces, unless heavy right footed.

2017 or later with Euro6 engine as older Euro levels are getting targeted for extra costs or banned from cities.
Ocean has full heating and air conditioning.
Avoid 20" wheels are tyres are costly and many rep[ort poor ride. Might also have Insurance cost.

Worth finding a Member Local to you who will assist with viewing and checking out for faults.

You seem to have made the biggest decision of not a Beach. I would agree that 150 2wd is good. I also find the Auto invaluable.
I would ask where do you think you might camp? UK or abroad? For weekends or 2 weeks or both?
I’ve noticed that these affect what people like on this forum.
We are a family of 4 who mainly have the van for 2 weeks abroad where we sit outside a lot in the warm weather. I hate the idea of awnings etc because we often go to quite a few sites in 2 weeks. We cook on a stove outside.
People who camp in the UK may want the warmth of awnings and might stay in one place for perhaps 7 days or a weekend.
This year we were forced to staycate and it didn’t suit us at all. The weather, or rather climate, affect what you need.
I don’t think you can go too far wrong with the van but people often get a tonne of stuff they don’t then use.
The camping stuff sometimes goes wrong and the forum can help you, but the base Transporter seems bullet proof. My 2008 mechanically feels it will last forever. But it doesn’t pass ULEZ. Will it be your daily driver or 2nd vehicle?
I would try and find a van that looks like it’s been loved. I suspect the condition of the interior can be very variable, and for me that would trump everything else.

Back