Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

No-deal Brxeit warning for UK drivers

Haven’t Green Cards been around since the earth cooled? You get one automatically with most insurance premiums? You just need to call and get a copy?

Did I make that up or is it fact?

Yes, I guess you'd need an actual piece of paper to show that you're covered.

Not sure British citizens will be able to drive in the EU anyway without a visa.

Comfort and caravan club both charge for them, I think it is £25 for up to 30 days if my mind serves me correct

Yes, I guess you'd need an actual piece of paper to show that you're covered.]

Not sure British citizens will be able to drive in the EU anyway without a visa.
I meant "Not sure British citizens will be able to be in the EU to be able to drive there anyway without a visa". ...and presumably an International Driving Permit will be needed too.

:Nailbiting It will be ok so why be concerned. I would think they are all grown up enough not to play silly sods.

Really??? - in view of what's been happening in the last 2.5 years!
Brought up to be positive and never half empty cup _ more at least half full. As for politicians better not to comment as I dislike them all.

Good afternoon,

The United Kingdom is such a wonderful country (I mean that) in all possible ways and as a country with high importance that it is painful to watch what happens now.

How could it get that far? I am not saying that everything is ok in the EU, but for me it is so sad that a decision is made to leave the EU.

I really hope that everything will sort itself out and solutions will be found that United Kingdom and the EU not drifting apart to much and can continue to positively influence each other.

I hope that in, only a few years, when I retired to spend more time across the "Irish Sea" to visit all the wonderful places without to many administrative hassle.

Regards,
Eberhard

This is the second page of my insurance certificate. What more could be required?

GreenCard.JPG

Haven’t Green Cards been around since the earth cooled? You get one automatically with most insurance premiums? You just need to call and get a copy?

Did I make that up or is it fact?

Rang comfort insurance today, they want £25.00 for a green card, we will be away in France from Feb until April.

Just noticed @Jabberwocky

Green card never used to be a big deal at all.
It was a simple, cheap extra. If we have lost the ability to produce something like this cheaply over again if needed then it will have become what i'd call a gold smuggling racket!!!!! for profiteers.

This is the second page of my insurance certificate. What more could be required?
What more? An official green card. Just as when you would go to any non-EU country that is covered by your insurance, such as Morocco, Albania, Ukraine, what have you.
This term sheet won't be enough.

What more? An official green card. Just as when you would go to any non-EU country that is covered by your insurance, such as Morocco, Albania, Ukraine, what have you.
This term sheet won't be enough.
We shall see. All this is supposition currently.

View attachment 40760

The point of the green card system isn't to enable you the motorist to know if you're insured, it's to be able to demonstrate (using an internationally standardised document) to a police officer in the country that you visit that you are insured.

Whether the (eg) French police decide to waive the requirement for a green card is unknowable until they say so, or until there's some agreement on it.

Of course if there is a B-word deal with a transition period, no green cards needed.

The point of the green card system isn't to enable you the motorist to know if you're insured, it's to be able to demonstrate (using an internationally standardised document) to a police officer in the country that you visit that you are insured.

Whether the (eg) French police decide to waive the requirement for a green card is unknowable until they say so, or until there's some agreement on it.

Of course if there is a B-word deal with a transition period, no green cards needed.
Agree but..... the words on the certificate in the main European languages say "To whom it may concern" obviously this is not just for the benefit of the insured.

Agree but..... the words on the certificate in the main European languages say "To whom it may concern" obviously this is not just for the benefit of the insured.

At present, it's a requirement of the Single Market that all car insurance policies have 'whole-EU' coverage, to unified standards of what that means in terms of minimum cover - so it makes no difference what it says or doesn't say on your policy docs, you are assumed to be covered. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

After 29 March (if no-deal) the UK becomes a 'third country' and I could well imagine police requiring to see a green card... just as the British police would if you drove, say, an Algerian car in the UK regardless of what was written on the Algerian policy docs in whatever language.

I know that sounds bureaucratic but, personally, I wouldn't think of going onto the continent after 29 March (if no transition period in effect) without an international green card, as I wouldn't want the hassle of spending a couple of hours in a French or Italian police station proving I was actually insured. Just my view.

[EDIT] Actually there will be a lot of media spotlight on the charges UK insurers decide to make to issue green cards so I could imagine they might decide to waive the charge as a 'free benefit' of policies. [EDIT EDIT] I only said 'might'!

[EDIT] Actually there will be a lot of media spotlight on the charges UK insurers decide to make to issue green cards so I could imagine they might decide to waive the charge as a 'free benefit' of policies. [EDIT EDIT] I only said 'might'!

I admire your optimism.
If, come the day there isn’t a 1 in front of that £25 then I’ll show my arse in Asda.

At present, it's a requirement of the Single Market that all car insurance policies have 'whole-EU' coverage, to unified standards of what that means in terms of minimum cover - so it makes no difference what it says or doesn't say on your policy docs, you are assumed to be covered. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

After 29 March (if no-deal) the UK becomes a 'third country' and I could well imagine police requiring to see a green card... just as the British police would if you drove, say, an Algerian car in the UK regardless of what was written on the Algerian policy docs in whatever language.

I know that sounds bureaucratic but, personally, I wouldn't think of going onto the continent after 29 March (if no transition period in effect) without an international green card, as I wouldn't want the hassle of spending a couple of hours in a French or Italian police station proving I was actually insured. Just my view.

Agree and love your "only said might" :)

@Jabberwocky Hi Rik your policy was underwritten at a time when we were also members of the EU and, as we will be in unchartered waters, I wouldn't take it as read that your fully comp insurance still covers the EU if we leave without a deal (and the transitional provisions that go with it). I have just emailed Safeguard to ask them to confirm the situation and I will let you know their response.

At present, we do not currently need a Green Card in the EU because there is an obligation under one of the EU Motor Insurance Directives for EU insurance policies to provide minimum coverage in other member states under the Protection of Visitors (PoV) scheme.

A Green Card is only a standardised document (on green paper :D) which confirms that you hold the minimum level of insurance required in any of the 48 member countries of the Green Card Bureaux that your are visiting. It does not provide fully comp cover. Luckily the UK is a member of the Green Card Bureaux nationally (and not regionally as a part of the EU) but, without an agreement to the contrary, you will also need a Green Card when visiting the EU as the PoV scheme would no longer apply. :Depressed

Back