Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Nordkapp

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi, starting to plan a road trip with my 16yr old son this Easter (first 2 wks of April).
Hopefully to Nordkapp, but is it possible in such a time scale?
What will the weather be like?
We don't plan to take in the many sites it's just about getting to the destination so long days driving, like my old motorcycling days when the journey was the fun bit.
Due to my sons exams and other commitments it's really our only opportunity as a father and son road trip.
Mum and daughter no interest in this adventure their off to a Spa for a week.
Other than taking the overnight ferry from Harwich nothing else is planned so any advise welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, starting to plan a road trip with my 16yr old son this Easter (first 2 wks of April).
We don't plan to take in the many sites it's just about getting to the destination so long days driving, like my old motorcycling days when the journey was the fun bit.
Due to my sons exams and other commitments it's really our only opportunity as a father and son road trip.
Other than taking the overnight ferry from Harwich nothing else is planned so any advise welcome.
Thanks in advance.
@WelshGas is the person to ask.Have you read his posts on his trip to Nordkapp?

I’ve looked at doing this a few times myself. However, it’s a really long drive. If you have the spare time, I would suggest solo driving the bulk of the journey and then letting the 16 year old fly out and meet you. Then tour and drive back together.

Thanks in advance.
See my Posts, Countdown, 1/2/3and 4.
The weather will be a challenge in April, especially above the Arctic Circle. Last year , Countdown 4, the weather was bad in mid May, snow and ice storms , -10c, and many campsites and laybys with deep snow. Campsites open May1st if they can.
Hook of Holland to Sweden is 3 days covering 400 or so miles a day driving 8hrs a day with a lunch and comfort stops.
Knordkapp, in April, in 2 weeks is really pushing it. Even in southern Norway some of the more interesting places, Lysboten or Trollstign may still be closed due to snow.

As a father and son trip, as a unique experience, I'd rather pick something else that spending 2 weeks basically just driving in the middle of nowhere, just to say "We've been to Nordkapp". For such a distance 2 weeks is going to be tight, not sure what sitting and driving the van the whole day will bring in terms of shared experience, as a bonding experience. For a 16 years old sitting the all day for 2 weeks must become very soon very boring. you want instead a positive association with "trip with dad" and "fun, interesting, nice places". I'd look rather at a more various points of interest trip, something that will create more positive memories for your son rather than sitting 2 weeks and driving the whole day. You could pick the alps, but you have the whole of Europe, with huge variations and a fourth of the driving . As an example, driving through alp passes, or walking up a mountain, staying camping near a lake, visiting a city. You'll have more to see and to discuss, and in 20 years he might end up in the same place again and say " I was once here with my dad!". He won't say the same about km 3682 of the route to Nordkapp.
This is my opinion...

Even the Alps can be snowed up in April, and even in May.

Hello,

At the end of May of this year we visited the Nordkap.

Driving through Sweden around mid May was actually ok, it was sunny and pleasant. That changed when we reached the Nordkap. The weather was cold, stormy and snowy. It was so bad that we had to leave the Nordkap after 36 hours.

We traveled from Cherbourg to Putgarden and then through Denmark, Sweden to Norway. It is a long way, no doubt. Looking back I wouldn't do it in only 2 weeks getting there and back. It is too far away. From Putgarden, Germany to Nordkap is about 2,500 km. OK, there might be shorter routes using ferries, but I am not familiar with those.

Is it recommendable? No. 2 weeks is simply not enough from UK to Nordkap and back.

Regars,
Eberhard

Thanks for the valuable advise, we have taken this onboard and decided to go next May when we will have more time and better weather.
A tour of the Alliance stadium (Bayern Munich) & the Ferrari museum in Maranello beckon.
The Lamborghini museum is well worth a look as well. :)

The Lamborghini museum is well worth a look as well. :)
The French National Automotive museum in Mulhouse near the French, Swiss, German border is a real treat too for motorheads. If you like vintage road and race cars this place is a Mecca. I never knew Bugatti made so many cars.
This was my fav and belonged to the founder of the museum. He raced it regularly.

bugatti.jpg

I traveled to Nordkapp this summer. If the roads are clear and weather is good two weeks is do able but I doubt it’s enjoyable. Personally I’d go in summer and take more time. I suspect you’d get more from travelling to Chamonix.

DSC00450-HDR-3.jpeg

I have done a father and son roadtrip in April but went to Australia backpacking with Australian equivalent of greyhound busses. Was a big success. After 15 years he is still speaking about it. Plane fares almost some as ferry and fuel.

If You have only two weeks, leave the van at home and take the round trip Voyage on the Hertigruten coastal ferry from Bergen to the Russian boarder at Kirkenees . No more expensive than getting you van to Norway and the price of the fuel for the trip. An absolutely life changing voyage with plenty of time for bonding . No chance of being stopped by the weather as one ship leaves every day as it has done for the last 100 years.enjoy

If You have only two weeks, leave the van at home and take the round trip Voyage on the Hertigruten coastal ferry from Bergen to the Russian boarder at Kirkenees . No more expensive than getting you van to Norway and the price of the fuel for the trip. An absolutely life changing voyage with plenty of time for bonding . No chance of being stopped by the weather as one ship leaves every day as it has done for the last 100 years.enjoy
My uncle (Royal Marines) did the Arctic Convoys in HMS Belfast during the war. I don't think it was much fun though.

Thanks in advance.
Search 'Norkapp' on this forum. We did it a few years back. May - June - shorts and T-shirt most of the way. 3 weeks. Channel Tunnel, up to Denmark, across the tunnel bridge to Sweden, up to Norway, back via Finland, Sweden, Norway, then Ferry to Denmark. 6000 miles and we never seemed to be in a rush. Stopped of for the walk to Preikestolen, drove Trollstigen etc. Campsites all the way. Next time we will will wild camp.

My uncle (Royal Marines) did the Arctic Convoys in HMS Belfast during the war. I don't think it was much fun though.
Hi Anthony,
Just seen your reply re artic Convoys your uncle was a brave man, The Hurtigruten voyage is completely different due to the nature of Norway's coast most of the voyage is in waters protected by the nature of Norway's coast with much of it sheltered by off lying islands and fjords. It really is a joy .its one of those 100 bucket list items that everyone should do once in there life time.
Regards
J T