Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway bound February

Paulfwb

Paulfwb

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I’m hoping to drive up the Norway in February to see the northern lights. We have a T6 with universal tires. Do I need to replace them?

I read here about taking the bridge Denmark through Sweden but it looks to be a long way around. We would like to end up at Trondheim, so maybe a ferry would be more suitable.
Any hints?

I think you need winter tyres. If you use studs you need a permit which you must pay for.

I’m hoping to drive up the Norway in February to see the northern lights. We have a T6 with universal tires. Do I need to replace them?

I read here about taking the bridge Denmark through Sweden but it looks to be a long way around. We would like to end up at Trondheim, so maybe a ferry would be more suitable.
Any hints?
Paul, a great time to visit - plan for late Feb. The aurora's are best during the solstices. Check the dates and anywhere close to the solstice is good. Coronal Mass Ejections and clear skies are the two key ingredients and there are some apps that will also tell you when the CME will peak which increases your chance of seeing the Aurora.

On tyres - yes, recommend dedicated winter tyres. Nothing else will work. Don't even try with anything else not even with the 3 peak symbol. In addition to being illegal, don't put yourself at risk.

A few options that you can take - all of them involve a good drive - but it is enjoyable
1. Drive - only option is via Denmark and across to Sweden and drive all the way. A long route, but good if you enjoy driving
2. Ferry - multiple options (Keil to Oslo, Travelmunde to Helsinki, Hirtshals to Kristiansand, Hirtshals to Stavanger to Bergen (not too sure if this is still on) )

Keil to Oslo, Hirtshals to Kristiansand - both these take you a bit further and then involve driving. The drive is lovely and would recommend - also depends on the time that you have.

Travelmunde to Helsinki - this is an interesting route and the one that we took. The ferry takes about 20+ hours, and then you take an auto train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi overnight. With much less driving, you are above the Artic Circle, which increases the chances of viewing the Aurora. Look up Rovaniemi - the official village of Santa Claus :) Great for children and adults too.

... and yes, it is worth all the trouble - and magical

1663860372726.png