Now is NOT the winter of discontent

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Let's face it, It's not been the best of years,

Also that terrible "B" word, subject of so much discontent for nigh on 4 years, is approaching an unpredictable end.

Lets keep it nice here please. If it's bitching, carping on about old crap, slagging off vax's and anti-vaxers, leave it out of it.

I love this place. I can't tell a big end from a small end and a moo valve from a cow fart but I do know about being warm, comfortable, protected in my best-ever cocoon and waking up in some incredible places wondering how on earth that cocoon of mine even got me there in the first place.

Look to the future. Whether you love it or loathe it January 1st is going to see us in a totally new world for many and also a hugely positive world with vaccines that can at least quell the C-19 menace.

What's the point about niggling away at each others opinions instead of embracing the lifestyle and get away that our choice gives us.

Merry Christmas, a happy new year ....

love all of you,

Last edited:
I am excitedly looking forward to the delivery of a Beach, having loved every minute with my Ocean, but sadly having to realise it didn’t suit my growing family (of Tollers).
Hence, I can start camping again and come to club events (which I have missed). Once I get a delivery date sorted I hope to also organise a meet in 2021.
Lots to be positive about.

Great post Jen, thanks. I couldn't agree more.
From our perspective, there is only me and Mrs J and being both retired and of good health we are very flexible about our travel. This year we have been thwarted from going touring in Europe as has a lot of other folks because of Covid so we negotiated with Eurotunnel to let us roll over our non returnable return booking to 2021. We don't know if we will be able to use it but it's there if we need it.

So what did we do in this difficult 2020? We went to places in the UK we had never been to. We had long weekends in Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Gloucestershire, Cornwall, Cumbria and nearly three weeks in Scotland. A total of 36 days.
On the whole the weather was good to excellent (We did get a bit damp in Cornwall at the club meet!) but overall it was very good.

A highlight was ending up on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula (The most westerly point on the Island of GB) enjoying bright sunny weather, azure skies, golden, deserted Idyllic beaches culminating in taking the ferry to Iona and Staffa and to Fingal's cave. We were almost alone on Staffa which made it all the more special than we had expected.

No wild camping - Just booked as we travelled. It was wonderful. Yes we found campsites that had no open facilities and some that were fully open (With bigger than normal pitches for Covid compliance!) but that was a breeze with our Cali. I suppose what I am really saying here and the point of the post is that yes, we will go to Europe next year if we can but staying in the UK can still be very, very rewarding. We are 63 and 67 and have travelled the world extensively (over 40 countries) but can still find many places closer to home that we didn't know existed and are just as, if not more, enjoyable.

Have Cali, will travel. The only unknown at present is where? Options are open but one thing to be sure of is that our Cali will take us there.

Seasons Greetings and happy Holidays to All.

R & T

Great post Jen, thanks. I couldn't agree more.
From our perspective, there is only me and Mrs J and being both retired and of good health we are very flexible about our travel. This year we have been thwarted from going touring in Europe as has a lot of other folks because of Covid so we negotiated with Eurotunnel to let us roll over our non returnable return booking to 2021. We don't know if we will be able to use it but it's there if we need it.

So what did we do in this difficult 2020? We went to places in the UK we had never been to. We had long weekends in Lincoln, Shrewsbury, Gloucestershire, Cornwall, Cumbria and nearly three weeks in Scotland. A total of 36 days.
On the whole the weather was good to excellent (We did get a bit damp in Cornwall at the club meet!) but overall it was very good.

A highlight was ending up on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula (The most westerly point on the Island of GB) enjoying bright sunny weather, azure skies, golden, deserted Idyllic beaches culminating in taking the ferry to Iona and Staffa and to Fingal's cave. We were almost alone on Staffa which made it all the more special than we had expected.

No wild camping - Just booked as we travelled. It was wonderful. Yes we found campsites that had no open facilities and some that were fully open (With bigger than normal pitches for Covid compliance!) but that was a breeze with our Cali. I suppose what I am really saying here and the point of the post is that yes, we will go to Europe next year if we can but staying in the UK can still be very, very rewarding. We are 63 and 67 and have travelled the world extensively (over 40 countries) but can still find many places closer to home that we didn't know existed and are just as, if not more, enjoyable.

Have Cali, will travel. The only unknown at present is where? Options are open but one thing to be sure of is that our Cali will take us there.

Seasons Greetings and happy Holidays to All.

R & T

Rik

In "normal" circumstance based on past years then my camping in 2021 would be a hotch-potch of European travel, with and without Jo and Caravan on tow, and some UK, quite a lot on my own.

Come in Covid. First lockdown: Jo and I staring at a wall map and our long walks marked on it, the unfulfilled walk of Ness point to St Davids. Ok, Arthritis means on foot is now impracticable, but on two wheels, yes.

So two bikes bought, a 900 mile cycle ride planned, Covid permitting, in 2021, and the mind goes mad. So many routes, places to explore, oddball challenges like a 3 island-3 country cycle circumnavigation (Anglesey, Wight and Arran)..... I think we are now going to be busy for the next 10 years!!

Just because one door may creak closed doesn't mean there are no others waiting to be pushed open!

Last edited:
@GrannyJen can I have just one winge about the impending 1st January change.

I can only bring up to 16 litres of Red Wine back from France without the wrath of HMRC descending on my wallet.

@GrannyJen can I have just one winge about the impending 1st January change.

I can only bring up to 16 litres of Red Wine back from France without the wrath of HMRC descending on my wallet.

Good grief!!

How will. we cope with such shortages! We must organise relays of carriers!

Thanks @GrannyJen for the good thoughts.

Babs (our Cali) has been a saviour in terms of getting us some downtime this year. Hopefully our 'cancelled' list will start shortening come the spring.

Looking forward to the end of Tear (sic) 3 and some new adventures (if the pesky rodents don't gnaw another cable in the meantime).

May your Christmas bubbles be merry!

OW

Thanks @GrannyJen for the good thoughts.

Babs (our Cali) has been a saviour in terms of getting us some downtime this year. Hopefully our 'cancelled' list will start shortening come the spring.

Looking forward to the end of Tear (sic) 3 and some new adventures (if the pesky rodents don't gnaw another cable in the meantime).

May your Christmas bubbles be merry!

OW
Apparently mink are often seen in the waterways around the industrial estate where SMG Tonbridge are. I think they are quite prevalent throughout north east Kent. I wonder if they were the pesky rodents that took a liking to your wiring loom. Mink aren't rodents though are they? But not being classified as rodents, probably wouldn't stop them having a liking for bit of fat German wiring!

Thanks for the ray of sunshine amongst grey skies!
We will continue to adapt to whatever gets thrown at us - our plans were distupted too this year - but having a wonderful Cali means we can adapt and explore other wonderful places - and there are so many of them here in the UK too.
We just take one day at a time and do what we can and when we can.
The European countries will want us UK tourists to come back, so there will be a way to travel easily (& hopefully cheaply!) eventually...
Also, thankfully we only drink beer, and LOVE English beer, so no worries about supplies there!! :)

Back