Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Obscuring the vehicle Reg in photos

C

CityCali

VIP Member
I am certain there is a very good reason why people do this and I would love to know what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think basically it's a security precaution. Under certain circumstances people can apply to the DVLA for vehicle ownership details as per this link using the vehicle registration:

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

This would enable an unscrupulous person to 'find' your vehicle should they wish to steal it or anything from it.

Having the registered number also allows the bad guys the opportunity to have a set of plates made up (illegal but easy) to put on their similar vehicle. Then you end up with their parking tickets, or the police knocking on your door about why you haven't paid for the fuel at a service station or the accident you had and didn't report etc.

The latter is fairly common I'm afraid, more so with cars than camper vans but who knows.

Very interesting, and makes complete sense. Much obliged.

Do people have special software that does this or is it a just a quick Photoshop job?

I'm no expert on the software issue but I'm sure it can be done with simple editing tools such as those on photoshop or iPhoto.

I use IrfanView on the PC. Totally free.
Open the image and outline the part you want to delete with the mouse.
Click on the "Cut Selection" scissors on the menu bar and it disappears.
It's also very good at reducing the size of pictures to put on Photobucket etc.

I am struggling To understand why people cover up their reg on photo's could an unscrupulous
Thief just look in the street or carpark to find their next victim. Most of the adds in auto trader have pictures with the reg showing

When ever you see registered cars on a transporter they also often have gaffer tape over the number plates too. I have also been puzzled by this. I was given the same answer when I asked but you would think you could use any car plate on the road if you were that way inclined.

As can be seen from my avatar I don't mind showing the reg plate :crazy

AlanC said:
When ever you see registered cars on a transporter they also often have gaffer tape over the number plates too. I have also been puzzled by this. I was given the same answer when I asked but you would think you could use any car plate on the road if you were that way inclined.
Could this be to stop the plates being picked up by number recognition cameras and therefore returning false data.

HistoryBob said:
AlanC said:
Could this be to stop the plates being picked up by number recognition cameras and therefore returning false data.

Yes thats it.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

We always blank out reg plates on the VW Campers calendar we supply images for...(pre 1979 buses)
with the desirability/easy nickability of classic VWs owners worry about a nice looking vehicle's address being easily hacked out of DVLA by thieves who target such things...
However, like all the other (VW and car generally) magazines we don't do any such thing in feature photographs!
so as someone involved in doing such things I am not really sure myself why...owners never ask about in a mag feature yet its commonly asked when we have the photo in a calendar!

I also hide the plate when I post photos.

It's also worth knowing that the reg plate isn't the only way to get your address.... if you take pictures with a smart phone (and some cameras) the exact location of where that picture is taken can be included in the meta data of the photo. This means that someone could potentially download your photo, view the metadata and the exact location of your pride and joy!

Some forums strip the metadata when you upload photos (not sure if this one does?) but it's worth being aware all the same.

I think I will go and check the photos I have posted, now that I have made myself paranoid... :crazy

Jim

Update:-

I just checked a few pics I have uploaded to the forum and they contained exact gps info (latitude, longitude) to my house....type this info into google and it gives you a lovely little map :shocked just been swapping them out with anonymous copies.

I also had a quick look at other peoples photos and a couple also had full gps data in them.

So just be careful with the photos you upload and make sure you only share information you want/intend to.

Cheers,

Jim

Back