Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)
  1. Next Club Meets

Midlands Club Meet - 9th -11th Nov - More Details Here
    Club Shop Day Meet 10th Nov - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oil Comsumption / Engine Problems with 2010/2011 Cali's

Discussion in 'General Technical Advice' started by BerndRos, Aug 16, 2015.

1. SimonVW

SimonVW VIP Member

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Thanks for the input Max. I'm somewhere between £30k-£35k on budget and appreciate that I will need to spend some money once I get one. I can go either way with a Beach or an SE. I have loads of stuff from using the Caravelle for six years, kitchen pod, fridge etc and would be happy to have a two rear seater Beach, with the side storage. Retro fit a heater and job done for me.

On the flip side, I could happily go with a 140/150 SE as you suggest, sell the accumulated kit and be up and running with some spare cash for anything I find out I need. The heater is an essential regardless of which one I get. Obviously with the SE its fitted anyway.

I did like the 2.5l TDI 130 engine in the Caravelle. Same as the one you mention but a lower power output. It just rolled along all day, every day.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I'll keep going until I find one!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Vale46

Vale46 Administrator Staff Member Admin/Founder

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 Beach
    sorry to be perdantic but you cant buy a 150 se

3. sidepod

sidepod Top Poster VIP Member

Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Agree Max, I’m more a “what’s good for me” kinda guy. I rarely think about resale/future etc. How can I get what I want. I’m also prob more practical than most. I’d happily pull the motor out and rebuild it. Sadly and prob sensibly the OP wouldn’t.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1
  4. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    True - but after so many years I'm still stuck in the Cali is either a Beach or an SE - never got used to calling it an 'Ocean'! ;)

5. SimonVW

SimonVW VIP Member

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Totally get where you are coming from Sidepod. I am like that with my motorbikes but not with the vans. Too much effort since I had a triple bypass a few months ago. The van will be my escape and I want to know its there and I can take off whenever I like.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 2
  6. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    Well, you're in a great price bracket there with usually lots of choice. I've bought/sold three in the last three years - a Beach (manual 2013 114hp) that I fitted a pod to, early SE (Tiptronic 2008 174) and a 2011 SE manual 140. All different but all did the job perfectly and were fine up and down mountains, round town and along autoroutes. Like I say if you are planning on keeping one then just hold out for the right spec/history and seller. Buy one that the servicing/tyres/MOT is bang up to date and you should not need to spend a penny really. But search non stop every day and if you find the right one act fast

Just to add as well - a lot of 180 owners will rightly dislike all this scare mongering but again IME it does not matter one inch if selling your 180. Probably 90% of people I've chatted to when buying/selling a Cali are unaware of any vehicle wide roof corrosion issue and certainly virtually no-one is knowledgeable of the potential issue with a 180 engine.

Most don't study this forum the way us lot do! ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  7. sidepod

Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Think I’ll give my 2003 Freestyle 4 and extra hug tonight :pinkbanana

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  8. Borris

Borris Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Hello Simon,
    I hope you find what you're looking for.

My only comments are:
    1. Ensure you are certain which model suits your circ's best before buying.
    2. You would get a much newer Beach for your £35k.
    3. Don't rush into purchasing as the right van will come along.

Having lived with a Caravelle for six years you should have a good idea of your priorities by now.

9. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    One could say that the 140 engine has the power of a milk float and the Beach is just a van with a pop top.
    To rubbish ALL 180's shows a complete lack of knowledge relating to the problem that affects SOME vehicles. To my knowledge there have only been a handful of owners on this forum that have suffered oil consumption problems. People comment about spending £5000 to fix the engine and others rave about fitting air suspension at a similar cost.
    Unfortunately VW should show more generosity to owners with this problem, but they don't because it is not widespread.
    And who knows what problems the T6 will have. There are already a few appearing. Cracked cylinder heads, excessive oil consumption.

10. motacyclist

motacyclist Colin Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    I seem to recall the Caravelle seats can be folded flat to form a bed, are they a different arrangement than those in one of the Beach variants? If you put an elevating roof in a Caravelle, would that make it a Beach alternative?

Just thought though, no seats in the tailgate or table in the door :(

11. Borris

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Oh but what a van!

A van that you can use as a van.
    A van that can carry up to seven people and their luggage.
    A van that you can cook in.
    A van that you can eat in.
    A van that you can sleep in......in a HUGE bed!
    A van that you can tour in.
    A van you can party in.
    A van that isn't compromised by a kitchen that many people don't use.
    A van that doesn't have problems with tanks, gauges, pumps, pipework or taps.
    A van that doesn't require the gas system to be checked regularly.
    A van that doesn't have fragile fittings that break.
    A van that doesn't have roof electrics, hydraulics, or control panels to go wrong.
    A van that doesn't have a built in fridge taking up space when not being used.
    A van that doesn't melt washing up bowls.
    A van that doesn't require stripping down to fix some fridge related issues.
    A van with no facility to carry 30litres of dirty washing up water.
    A van that has so much space that you could play naked twister if it pleases you.
    A van that will still pass the 180 engined SEs whilst they're filling up with oil.

:) :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb :thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb:thumb :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Max-Felix

Max-Felix VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    This topic has gone waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy OT now but...

...it can be sorted now thanks to these people! :)

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_7339.JPG

13. Borris

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Yes it would. I did look at the Caravelle and fully intended to buy one. However I was wooed by a gorgeous SE 4 motion ex demonstrator.

The advantages of the Caravelle with the bed pack are:
    1. You can have a LWB version. So much more roomy.
    2. You can have a full leather interior which isn't available on the Beach. Much more practical in a leisure vehicle.
    3. The three seat bench and swivel captains seats are the same as on the Beach.
    4 From memory the Bed Pack includes window blinds, Multiflex board and VW Comfort mattress.
    5. You get two sliding doors.

Disadvantages:
    1. In order to fit a pop top roof the air conditionind trunking and outlets as well as the over head lighting bars etc need to be removed and redesigned. I have seen it done but the end result wasn't pretty.

As for the picnic table and chairs, if you wanted them they could be added by swopping the door cards for SE/Ocean/Beach ones.

14. WelshGas

WelshGas Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life. Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    Yes, some people seem to need the huge bed.
    Yes, a van that in the depths of winter is just that, a van.
    And as far as the 180s are concerned, we'll pass you on the hills as you struggle with ALL the extras you have to take with you to turn it into a faux camper van.:cheers

15. AlanC

AlanC Traveling VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    I should now add that the new engine with a 'D' cooler was fitted in Dec 2016 and is now coming up to 2 years old. It has been perfect over the last 10k miles and is not using any oil at all. I did spend time running it in, old fashioned I know, but was the way I was taught by my father.

So I think VW Germany have sorted the problem. I only wish VWUK had been more responsive and generous about this issue.

Alan

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  16. sidepod

Vehicle:
    T4 PopTop
    Forum law #1

"All threads, no matter what subject or number of contributors will, eventually, become Beach vs Ocean".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
  17. Borris

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    And some people seem to need to sleep on a single bed in their kitchen just like they do at home!

Actually joking aside, having had both versions they are both fine if you can ignore the granite mattress.

"a van that in the depths of winter is just that, a van". An SE in the depths of winter is also just a van but with less space!

You've got me on the last one WG. If Mrs Borris decides to take much more stuff we'll have to avoid hills altogether. :headbang

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Borris

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    ..........and long may it continue!

• I Agree I Agree x 1
  19. SimonVW

SimonVW VIP Member

Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    Decision made - I'll look for a Beach!

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. larrylamb

larrylamb Califandango Top Poster VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Let's just say I love my sunglasses holder ;)

• Funny Funny x 1