Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil filled radiator?

P

Paddy Dyson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all.

I'm away camping with the wife and 1 year old daughter next week. Its looking like it might still be chilly so am considering buying an oil filled radiator to plug in. My only concern is that there doesn't seem to be much room between the end of the bed when fully extended and the front seats and I am concerned that the bedding may end up in contact with the radiator. How have others got on with this? Would it fit between the two front seats okay?
Any suggestions from those with similar set up would be very welcome.

Thanks

Paddy

We have a small (750/800w) oil rad that fits nicely between the seats and sends a little bit of heat upstairs. We use a roof topper as well and fine this is plenty warm enough.

We have a small (750/800w) oil rad that fits nicely between the seats and sends a little bit of heat upstairs. We use a roof topper as well and fine this is plenty warm enough.
Thanks Larry. i was looking at a 500w rad. Too small with the roof up?

The problem with oil filled radiators is that they take too long to heat up and cool down. We use a small upright fan heater and it goes between the front seats facing forward if the lower bed is made. Otherwise it just goes in the corner when in use and stores behind the passenger seat. Instant heat! It has an automatic switch so it turns itself off if it falls over. There are several available in the club shop.

We like the no noise option of the oil rad, we set it up in plenty of time for bed and if the cabin needs a boost we use the diesel heater until bedtime, same at breakfast. Soon cools down whilst getting ready /packing up.

I have used both fan heater and oil heater. The fan heater is best as long as you can live with the fan noise, at night i cant.
If you cant then oil heater works ok slotted between the front seats with hot air rising up the access way to upstairs.
However the cheap makes (500w included) are often not much good because they keep cycling on and off due to internal overheat even though the space is still cold. Basically a low duty cycle. So buy a decent one of which I have found the Delonghi to be good - the small one they do keeps ploughing on producing its 500w or so without overheating

Hi, I have both the diddy fan heater from the club shop and a 700 watt oil filled radiator. We’ve been very disappointed with the oil filled radiator which we feel does little to change temperature with roof up and Cali topper on - it’s been used once and now sits in a wardrobe at home. I doubt we’ll use again. We find the diddy fan heater coupled with a separate plug in thermostat works exceptionally well at quickly increasing temperature and maintaining it with only a couple of degrees drop in temperature before the thermostat switches heater back on.

The problem with oil filled radiators is that they take too long to heat up and cool down. We use a small upright fan heater and it goes between the front seats facing forward if the lower bed is made. Otherwise it just goes in the corner when in use and stores behind the passenger seat. Instant heat! It has an automatic switch so it turns itself off if it falls over. There are several available in the club shop.
Thanks Colin - good advice :)

I have used both fan heater and oil heater. The fan heater is best as long as you can live with the fan noise, at night i cant.
If you cant then oil heater works ok slotted between the front seats with hot air rising up the access way to upstairs.
However the cheap makes (500w included) are often not much good because they keep cycling on and off due to internal overheat even though the space is still cold. Basically a low duty cycle. So buy a decent one of which I have found the Delonghi to be good - the small one they do keeps ploughing on producing its 500w or so without overheating
Thank you - it was the Delonghi 500w that I was looking at so very helpful.

Remember, as in most things, use it or lose it. Your Diesel Parking Heater needs to be used as well on a regular basis. They are designed to run continuously and if not used on a regular basis can easily fail.

Remember, as in most things, use it or lose it. Your Diesel Parking Heater needs to be used as well on a regular basis. They are designed to run continuously and if not used on a regular basis can easily fail.

I think Diesel heater is also the best. We always use this first thing in the morning and whenever returning to thevan in cold weather. Only really use fan heater if sitting in van during long dark evening on campsites with electric connection. I’ve been surprised how little diesel heater uses - barely registers!

I think Diesel heater is also the best. We always use this first thing in the morning and whenever returning to thevan in cold weather. Only really use fan heater if sitting in van during long dark evening on campsites with electric connection. I’ve been surprised how little diesel heater uses - barely registers!
In this weather I just leave the Diesel Heater On and just turn up or down as neede. Level 1 when out and about.

In this weather I just leave the Diesel Heater On and just turn up or down as neede. Level 1 when out and about.
Would be good to get a diesel heater retrofitted, but its probably out of budget for me this year.

Would be good to get a diesel heater retrofitted, but its probably out of budget for me this year.
yes, they are excellent and v. powerful. We do like it quiet when sleeping and find it a tad noisy so when on hookup we use the oil rad. If you want instant heat for the evenings etc then a small fan heater is more powerful and effective than the rad.

yes, they are excellent and v. powerful. We do like it quiet when sleeping and find it a tad noisy so when on hookup we use the oil rad. If you want instant heat for the evenings etc then a small fan heater is more powerful and effective than the rad.
Thanks - I'm looking for something that will keep the van warm through the night for the little one. I think a fan heater might be a bit too noisy for sleep. I think I'll try the oil rad to start with - as long as I can plug it in early enough, it should be fine.

Thanks - I'm looking for something that will keep the van warm through the night for the little one. I think a fan heater might be a bit too noisy for sleep. I think I'll try the oil rad to start with - as long as I can plug it in early enough, it should be fine.
A decent duvet/sleeping bag and a cosy blanket and they will be fine. :thumb

I found a 500w radiator good for taking the edge off but not for getting toasty warm... I have a kampa cuboid as demoed on the youtube channel. This kind of thing is pretty fast to kick out heat.

A decent woman even better !
The wife is a decent woman :) We have slept in a van in winter in Iceland before, so we're happy to keep warm that way, but I think we need to keep the temp up for the little one. I haven't seen any hi-tog sleeping bags for babies...

I found a 500w radiator good for taking the edge off but not for getting toasty warm... I have a kampa cuboid as demoed on the youtube channel. This kind of thing is pretty fast to kick out heat.

Thanks Matt. How do you find the noise from this unit?

It's probably a little quieter than my Webasto and I find it fine but we don't leave it on permanently. It is a fan heater so won't be for everyone. However it does kick out instant heat and has one fan speed regardless of temp. If you're near Warks welcome to come see it and have a go, or I can bring it to the SLimbridge meet.

It's probably a little quieter than my Webasto and I find it fine but we don't leave it on permanently. It is a fan heater so won't be for everyone. However it does kick out instant heat and has one fan speed regardless of temp. If you're near Warks welcome to come see it and have a go, or I can bring it to the SLimbridge meet.
Thanks - that's good of you. I'll try to come along to Slimbridge and see you there!

The wife is a decent woman :) We have slept in a van in winter in Iceland before, so we're happy to keep warm that way, but I think we need to keep the temp up for the little one. I haven't seen any hi-tog sleeping bags for babies...
Buy a full size bag and fold end up underneath.

Hi all.

I'm away camping with the wife and 1 year old daughter next week. Its looking like it might still be chilly so am considering buying an oil filled radiator to plug in. My only concern is that there doesn't seem to be much room between the end of the bed when fully extended and the front seats and I am concerned that the bedding may end up in contact with the radiator. How have others got on with this? Would it fit between the two front seats okay?
Any suggestions from those with similar set up would be very welcome.

Thanks

Paddy
We’ve used a 1kw watt oil filled rad (Argos own brand) in the alps. Ran it during the day to keep the chill off and then a quick blast of the diesel heater at night. Worked for us down to -15.

Back