Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ok guys....fridge

I have just looked at the maxxcamp fixing. That is so easy to make but instead of the two plates that attach to the handle fixings use a webbing strap. Where do these companies come up with their prices, 257 euros!!

View attachment 22782

View attachment 22783
IMG_7738.JPG
Simple homemade wood base. 5 euro.
Perfect
Indel b Tb 41. Behind the driver's seat (eu).
I leave it there and the bench slides into bed.
No problem.
Ciao!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Sorry newbie question. Hirsty (and others) how do you fix/secure these things to the floor?

The only simple options I've seen are either tie down using the lashing points or something more elegant (and expensive) like the Maxxcamp floor fitting system. The trouble with the Maxxcamp option, apart from price, is being limited to 3 fridge options...Waeco FR35 and CF35 and 40.

No rush as I've only ordered today so have about 6 months to sort a fridge out ;)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Depends where your mounting it.
For us, we are moving ours to under the multiflex and securing it to a slide out draw.
Check this thread for ideas, there others too

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/adding-a-slide-out-drawer-in-the-beach.14501/

Here's the cheapest IndelB TB31 I can find...

12v/24v Compressor Cooler Fridge Portable Truck, Van, Camper refrigerator

From an eBay seller called truckandvangear. Contacted them and they have assured me it's the genuine IndelB from Italy.
They do a few of the bigger models but no TB41 at the mo.
Only downside might be the dubious warranty service with such a company if things go pear shape down the line.

Depends where your mounting it.
For us, we are moving ours to under the multiflex and securing it to a slide out draw.
Check this thread for ideas, there others too

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/adding-a-slide-out-drawer-in-the-beach.14501/
Anyway, tb41 fits under the mfb (3 seats bench), and maybe you have a few cm to fix a slide. I don't need the fridge in the back: seems to loose every benefit of the fridge in the van

Anyway, tb41 fits under the mfb (3 seats bench), and maybe you have a few cm to fix a slide. I don't need the fridge in the back: seems to loose every benefit of the fridge in the van

We used to have it behind the passenger seat, but find it's a PITA in that position. Blocks the passenger seat when swivelled and prevents easy access to the side storage area.
Only need to access fridge at breakfast and dinner, so think it's better to have it out the way and free up space in the main living area.

Sorry newbie question. Hirsty (and others) how do you fix/secure these things to the floor?

I've kept the blue foam insert from the box to use as a template to make a wooden base like @Ignazio & screw down to the rail - if we were going on a long trip I'd probably move it to the back nearside corner on top of the multiflex, a bit further back than @Max-Felix

I swivelled the seat yesterday & it's not that bad, fridge makes a footrest! We do 99% one & two night trips, and spend nearly all our waking time outside the van, so this'll work for us fine.

We store our waeco length ways in the van against the side, then it kind of feels more roomy. We are pondering a little cushion to use the fridge as a nice footstool (well a more comfortable one) :)

Last edited:
I've kept the blue foam insert from the box to use as a template to make a wooden base like @Ignazio & screw down to the rail - if we were going on a long trip I'd probably move it to the back nearside corner on top of the multiflex, a bit further back than @Max-Felix

I swivelled the seat yesterday & it's not that bad, fridge makes a footrest! We do 99% one & two night trips, and spend nearly all our waking time outside the van, so this'll work for us fine.
I understand. We're lucky in italy (extra uk, in general): we never swivel the driver seat (left side). It's a PITA and we don't need even of we are 5. So the fridge stays in its location.

Hmm, I'm really torn on choice of fridge! We have a two seat beach so storing under the multi-flex isn't an option so it'll need to live on top of it during the day and then on the floor behind the passenger seat at night time (there are 4 of us so we need to use both beds). That's a pain as it means you can't use the big under seat drawer whilst the bed is out. I may look at making a stand that bridges the gap between the storage box and passenger seat so we can put the fridge half on the end of the bed and half on the stand - has anyone done this before?

My dilemma is choice of fridge. I like the CFX range and they are clearly the most efficient by some distance. The 28 would be too small (as it's only actually 26l internally) and the 35 and 40 have an identical foot print to each other with the only difference being that the 40 is 5cm higher. The 40 uses a tiny bit more power - but not enough to be significant - so I may as well go for the 40 if I'm choosing a CFX?
My concern though is that it's too wide to slide between the two seat bench and side of the van - so to move it from the back to the front I'd need to lay the bench down each time. I guess it'll live in the boot area most of the time though.

I've taken a leaf out of @MattBW 's book and created a spreadsheet to help me compare and contrast the different models - I'll attach it in case it's useful to others. The power consumption stats for the IndelB and Webasto are based on 25 degrees rather than 20 as for the CFX but it gives you a good idea. I couldn't find any consumption stats for the Waeco CDF range - can anyone else?
It also appears that the Webasto and IndelB ones are different, not just IndelB rebadged as suggested elsewhere - or is it that the internals for the Webasto are made by IndelB?

I have emailed @SlidePods fo a quote on the Webasto but no answer for a couple of days now so I'm assuming they're not selling them right now. I'll shout if I do get a response and will update the spreadsheet.

Any thoughts / advice / experience to help me decide would be much appreciated! I need to press the button in the next few days as holiday is fast approaching - Croatia is going to be hot so I definitely want something that'll keep the essentials (beer, gin, Aperol, soda and tonic water) nice and cold!

Thanks,

Jez

Attachments

• Cool boxes.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 40
Most folks will have a limited frame of reference Jez having only ever used 'theirs' & I believe one could over-think this!

Price & availability were key considerations for me - I don't think there's much to choose between the brands. I think Webasto / Indel is just corporate naming & are the same physical product.

@MattBW sounds equally happy with his Waeco, though I think I read he might've gone a size smaller ideally - but he's a two & you are four ... All of these fridges are quite a big lump in the van but still surprised how much I could get in there last weekend.

I know that Tracy isn't in the office every day so that may be why you haven't heard yet. I think I've got a @SlidePods card in my van, Ill find it and drop a text message their way.

My waeco was via ebay and bought on price for me. I literally just picked it up straight from the warehouse in nuneaton (5 miles away).

Although I had some inconsistency with temps when I first got it (there are some posts around here somewhere), I learned it was mostly user error blocking the vents etc causing the issues and me expecting too much from the thermostat. It's on right now at -18 and full of icecream at home. :)

The webasto are pretty much the same tech and I understand many are the same compressors etc so mostly it comes down to price and build quality on the decision. I did have a look at Jonny's at one of the meets and I liked it, the control panel seemed better than the waeco but otherwise they seemed very similar. I probably would go webasto if I needed another unless I could get a bargain waeco simply because the support network in the UK is better for webasto (not that I've had to try it thankfully).

If anyone wants to check out my fridge (its the older CF40 though) and is in Warwickshire anytime drop me a message). Going strong for about 3 years now.

and yes I'd probably go smaller in future, its amazing for capacity but uses more power and also takes up more room. That said turn it sideways and its not that bad in a 3 seat beach.

Hmm, I'm really torn on choice of fridge! We have a two seat beach so storing under the multi-flex isn't an option so it'll need to live on top of it during the day and then on the floor behind the passenger seat at night time (there are 4 of us so we need to use both beds). That's a pain as it means you can't use the big under seat drawer whilst the bed is out. I may look at making a stand that bridges the gap between the storage box and passenger seat so we can put the fridge half on the end of the bed and half on the stand - has anyone done this before?

Jez

Jez, see my post below for thoughts on positioning. If you have a two seater then it can just sit on the storage box - still loads of room in the bed where you need it (at head/elbow area). If you don' have a pod then you could simply make an attachment to the lid of the storage box and a separate cushion.

I would not go too big - we found 31L more than enough for four on a month long trip. This size fits perfectly in the space - again below:

ok guys....fridge

My dilemma is choice of fridge. I like the CFX range and they are clearly the most efficient by some distance. The 28 would be too small (as it's only actually 26l internally) and the 35 and 40 have an identical foot print to each other with the only difference being that the 40 is 5cm higher. The 40 uses a tiny bit more power - but not enough to be significant - so I may as well go for the 40 if I'm choosing a CFX?
My concern though is that it's too wide to slide between the two seat bench and side of the van - so to move it from the back to the front I'd need to lay the bench down each time. I guess it'll live in the boot area most of the time though.

I've taken a leaf out of @MattBW 's book and created a spreadsheet to help me compare and contrast the different models - I'll attach it in case it's useful to others. The power consumption stats for the IndelB and Webasto are based on 25 degrees rather than 20 as for the CFX but it gives you a good idea. I couldn't find any consumption stats for the Waeco CDF range - can anyone else?
It also appears that the Webasto and IndelB ones are different, not just IndelB rebadged as suggested elsewhere - or is it that the internals for the Webasto are made by IndelB?

I have emailed @SlidePods fo a quote on the Webasto but no answer for a couple of days now so I'm assuming they're not selling them right now. I'll shout if I do get a response and will update the spreadsheet.

Any thoughts / advice / experience to help me decide would be much appreciated! I need to press the button in the next few days as holiday is fast approaching - Croatia is going to be hot so I definitely want something that'll keep the essentials (beer, gin, Aperol, soda and tonic water) nice and cold!

Thanks,

Jez

We are always selling them however Tracey is just snowed under at the moment I think she quoted on nearly 100 slidepods and conversions last week alone with it being peak season. I'm sure you will get a responce pretty soon but you can always call me on 07739508050 (jonny) for the personal touch ;)

I know that Tracy isn't in the office every day so that may be why you haven't heard yet. I think I've got a @SlidePods card in my van, Ill find it and drop a text message their way.

My waeco was via ebay and bought on price for me. I literally just picked it up straight from the warehouse in nuneaton (5 miles away).

Although I had some inconsistency with temps when I first got it (there are some posts around here somewhere), I learned it was mostly user error blocking the vents etc causing the issues and me expecting too much from the thermostat. It's on right now at -18 and full of icecream at home. :)

The webasto are pretty much the same tech and I understand many are the same compressors etc so mostly it comes down to price and build quality on the decision. I did have a look at Jonny's at one of the meets and I liked it, the control panel seemed better than the waeco but otherwise they seemed very similar. I probably would go webasto if I needed another unless I could get a bargain waeco simply because the support network in the UK is better for webasto (not that I've had to try it thankfully).

If anyone wants to check out my fridge (its the older CF40 though) and is in Warwickshire anytime drop me a message). Going strong for about 3 years now.

Believe it or not Tracey is there from about 7.00am until about 6.00pm 5 days a week, She is the most dedicated grafter I have ever met. I'm extremely lucky to have her but she needs an assistant in a big way.... Anyone interested? Everyone who works for Slidepods gets a fully specced pod on the company :thumb

Believe it or not Tracey is there from about 7.00am until about 6.00pm 5 days a week, She is the most dedicated grafter I have ever met. I'm extremely lucky to have her but she needs an assistant in a big way.... Anyone interested? Everyone who works for Slidepods gets a fully specced pod on the company :thumb
Apologies I thought she was part time I know how hard she works after meeting her at Campermart :)

Sounds like a good employee perk to me!

Last edited:
Thanks, I've now had a quote come through.

Thanks Matt. Max and Hirsty for your responses - very interedting to get the experience of others. Max - I like your idea on where to position it, makes sense to me.

I'll have a ponder and then speak to the boss!

Thanks,

Jez

Jonny, I think it was asked by a few of us earlier in the topic but can you post up a price list of portable fridges you sell with VIP prices if possible? :)

The quote I've had through from Slidepods (thanks Tracey) is:
TB31 - £519
TB41 - £569

That's quite a bit more expensive than they are advertised on Webasto's online shop - they advertise the TB31 for £434 and the TB41 for £459. It says both are currently out of stock though:

http://www.shopwebasto.co.uk/travel-box-tb-41.html

I've asked if a VIP member discount applies on top of that

That is the price. We only match prices of official webasto dealers and the boxes must be in stock. Currently the TB41 is on back order in the U.K.

It's Jonny ;)
and yes we currentle have about a dozen in stock but they are all allocated to customers who have ordered them with slidepods currently.

Back