Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Opinions on best lower bed topper for people who like a firm mattress.

1960Bus

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
I’ve searched the threads and I’m not sure I can tell what the best option is if you like firm beds. At the moment it looks like I’m going to order the sea to summit because it seems to take less space and it’s not too dear. What puts me off is there is more faff inflating and deflating and rolling away. I ordered the Cali with no comfort mattress because there seemed to be better options.

Have you got your van yet? Most people add toppers to make it softer and there are some who say they feel the seats alone are fine and do without anything to save space; I'm not one of them!

If your'e after a firm mattress, you could try without but you will likely be able to feel the small dips where the different parts of the seat make up the bed. Some toppers are designed to specifically iron these out e.g. the VW Comfort mattress or the Brandrup option.

There are lots of other toppers available in the club shop and elsewhere and I'm sure lots of people will have their favourites. We have the Ikea 4ft topper on top of the comfort mattress, as the latter was too firm on its own. It's still on the firm side but much more comfortable now.

We have the zone sleep, its comfortable but firm, they sell them on the club shop

If you like firm & you've got an Ocean coming, try it with no topper before rushing out to buy something. We did a couple of years without & survived. It's very firm but has some give in it & there are no steps or large bumps.

Have you got your van yet? Most people add toppers to make it softer and there are some who say they feel the seats alone are fine and do without anything to save space; I'm not one of them!

If your'e after a firm mattress, you could try without but you will likely be able to feel the small dips where the different parts of the seat make up the bed. Some toppers are designed to specifically iron these out e.g. the VW Comfort mattress or the Brandrup option.

There are lots of other toppers available in the club shop and elsewhere and I'm sure lots of people will have their favourites. We have the Ikea 4ft topper on top of the comfort mattress, as the latter was too firm on its own. It's still on the firm side but much more comfortable now.
No I’ve not got it yet but if there are any undulations my wife will find them (she formerly featured in the princess and the pea).

Adding the zone sleep to the WV comfort mattress, makes it much more comfortable, but is still very much firm and supportive

You won’t find undulations with the VW mattress, it’s just very sold and far too firm and uncomfortable by its self

Even just putting silent night airmax topper on the VW mattress would help, go for the double version, it will fit we have one, plus easy to use upstairs as well. It’s basically a bit like a duvet that goes on top of the mattress

I’ve searched the threads and I’m not sure I can tell what the best option is if you like firm beds. At the moment it looks like I’m going to order the sea to summit because it seems to take less space and it’s not too dear. What puts me off is there is more faff inflating and deflating and rolling away. I ordered the Cali with no comfort mattress because there seemed to be better options.
We have the S2S mattress. Superb bit of kit. Get yourself the Jetstream pump. Soooooo comfortable it's worth the 2 minutes it takes to inflate, mainly self inflates and then you just top it up. You don't roll it away, just fold in 3 and leave on the back shelf.

I wouldn’t buy anything until you try it out.
We have a Beach, we don’t use a mattress downstairs. We find it fine just using the Duvalay sleeping kit. We do use a mattress upstairs.

There's only two of us, so we trade space for comfort.
We use TWO Branrupts, one on top of the other. Yes they take up alot of storage space. Yes they are expensive, but they flat, firm, yet very comfortable. Well made, easy to fold up. Have a good resale price if you want to sell.

Comfortable sleep every night!

I definitely wouldn’t buy anything before you’ve tried it, but do buy the vw comfort mattress when you order your van. It’s an optional extra. We’ve got a 2 seat beach with the comfort mattress and it’s flat as a pancake. But it’s just a bit too firm for us so we add a 5cm mattress topper to take the edge off.

if you like a firm mattress you might be fine as it is.

Edit: Just seen you didn't order the comfort mattress. If I were you, I'd contact the dealer and see if you can get that added to your order.

Last edited:
If you like firm, the VW Comfort mattress is exactly that!! As everyone else says try it first.

We don't have our Coast yet, previously owned SE and needed 2 toppers on the lower bed, which then took up more space on the shelf. We've bought the S2S now, like the idea it'll save space when deflated, and the firmness/softness can be adjusted. :thumb

We use a duvalay gold topper sits on parcel shelve folded in three when not in use.
it has been very comfortable.

Back