Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Options, options

R

Richardofyorks

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I've been having a look at the Ocean options/price list on the VW Vans website.
Can anyone help with what the following mean?
9ZE "Bluetooth hands free set without coupling box" What is the coupling box?
ZEO "Multi function display Premium with multi colour display and Diver Alert System (only with Discover sat nav system)" What does the premium display add? What does the driver alert system give you?
9CE "4 standard interior lights and 1 fluorescent tube in passenger compartment" What does this give you that 9CI doesn't ("Interior light concept for Camper 'comfort' in passenger compartment") which is standard on the Ocean?
UG5 "Hill descent control (on 4Motion)" How does this work?
Z1Y "Side scan with cruise control" I know about cruise but what does 'side scan' add to it?
Z4A "Light and Vision package" What does it consist of?
PL6 "Exterior package" ditto?
IS6 " Multi function control module for external use" ditto?

Sorry to go on a bit!
Thanks guys.

UG5 hill decent works but applying the abs brakes to maintain a constant downhill speed and prevent running away.

Z1Y Side scan has 2 additional rear racing radar units that warn you if a car enters your blind spot and alerts if you start to lane change into their space.

UG5 hill decent works but applying the abs brakes to maintain a constant downhill speed and prevent running away.

Z1Y Side scan has 2 additional rear racing radar units that warn you if a car enters your blind spot and alerts if you start to lane change into their space.

Thanks. Other manufacturers call 'side scan' "lane change assist" or similar.
204DSG 4Motion in Blackberry is exactly what is in our minds at the moment, although after the stories I've been reading at this rate it's likely to be a 17 reg on 1st March next yr ( assuming I can get a decent enough discount)!

• Driver Alert is 'standard' so you get it anyway. It is a system that warns you if 'deviate from normal steering patterns'. So, if you stray out of lane because you're falling asleep, it wakes you up.
  • Hill decent control is brilliant if you are descending a steep or slippery slope with 4WD. I have not used it on VW but have used a Land Rover with this system fitted. Basically, you keep your foot off the brake and the system does it all for you. It keeps the speed of the vehicle slow and applies the brakes as required. It senses the wheels to ensure they do not lock and therefore lose control.
  • Light and vision turns on the headlights when it gets dark and switches on the wipers when it rains. Both useful features. Auto wipers are particularly good as frequency of wipe is controlled and, if you plough through a deep puddle, wipers operate straight away.

Thanks Sid. Again some of these things I'm familiar with, I just need to learn VW speak! Automatic headlights and rain sensor seems to be what they mean. Thanks for putting me straight.

Thanks. Other manufacturers call 'side scan' "lane change assist" or similar.
204DSG 4Motion in Blackberry is exactly what is in our minds at the moment, although after the stories I've been reading at this rate it's likely to be a 17 reg on 1st March next yr ( assuming I can get a decent enough discount)!
Lane assist is another different option that uses a forward facing camera to look for the white lines and vibrate the steering wheel if you cross one without indicating

im sure you will gradually get answers to all your questions. But it may take a little while as VW change the options about as often as delivery schedules (take a look at the T6 delays thread)!

I can help with some of your queries,

Driver Alert system warns you that you need to take a break. Apparently it monitors driving style t make its decision. Not sure whether to believe that. It seems to alert after about 3 hours whatever. I don't have the colour multi-function display but I do have driver alert. I think it was bundled with something else.

The colour display replaces the standard monochrome display in the centre of the instrument cluster.

Side scan monitors the blind spots. If you indicate with a vehicle I the blind spot then it flashes an amber light on the mirror. I'd prefer an audio indication like on my Mazda.

Lights and Vision is auto wipers and auto headlamps.

Not sure about the rest I'm afraid.

I'm probably pushing my luck with this supplementary but here goes: is there any way of having steering wheel paddles with DSG?

Exterior pack - if beach you get upgraded headlights to the standard ocean lights (but you'll get nothing extra there as you are speccing an ocean anyway!). Front cornering fog lights. Non colour coded wing mirrors. These are just plastic not painted black. Maybe worth it on a beach but prob not on an ocean.

I'm probably pushing my luck with this supplementary but here goes: is there any way of having steering wheel paddles with DSG?
Don't believe there is a paddle shift option. There s a semi-automatic option using the gear shift lever.

• Auto wipers are particularly good as frequency of wipe is controlled and, if you plough through a deep puddle, wipers operate straight away.
This may be semantics but..
Does it control the frequency or the sensitivity of the sensor?

This may be semantics but..
Does it control the frequency or the sensitivity of the sensor?

The wiper seem to be able to respond to the rain intensity. This ranges from constant wiping to a single swipe. It even seems capable of detecting the slight spray when the driver in front cleans their windscreen.

With all this discussion about options, I feel I should point out that our last Dub was a converted T5, ex-lease, panel van. Smallest engine and most basic spec. No electric windows, cruise control, air con. Nothing.
We had just as much fun in it, never had any problems, slept just as well, delivered furniture and drove it all over. The only upgrade was a cheap set of DIY reversing sensors from Maplin.
All the gizmos, technology and features are great but are also expensive and not essential.

We have hill descent on our Yeti and it works very well. Not on ice though, everthing goes to pot and it slides everywhere. We tried it out in the Pyrenees a few years ago, went up fine, coming down was a nightmare. Her indoors got out, put crampons on and walked down.

I was looking at the configurator today which has a few things on it that don't appear in the price list.
Eg an 80 litre fuel tank (instead of 70) for ÂŁ60 which sounds quite reasonable.
It also suggested that Cascavel silver diamond turned wheels were a no cost option but my dealer says this is an error and they are in fact an extra ÂŁ490 plus vat.
I was very surprised to find that a heated rear window in the tailgate isn't standard (must be the only ÂŁ50k car/vehicle where it isn't!) but it is a no cost option (seems rather odd) but be aware that there appears to be an apparent anomaly. If you order laminated glass in the cab then it is not possible to spec a heated rear window but it is if you simply go for the privacy glass.
My dealer said, if I understood him correctly, that the laminated glass option comes with the privacy glass in the passenger compartment but using the configurator (if I was doing it correctly) it suggests you can order the laminated glass and privacy glass separately. This shouldn't be possible if the dealer is right eg if it is included with laminated glass and you 'tick that box' it shouldn't let you try and order the privacy glass as well. Has anyone else tried this?
Finally the configurator but not the price list has dynamic chassis control (DCC) which I presume includes variable dampers, as an available option for around ÂŁ1000. Does anyone have it or think it is worth having?
A diff lock (for around ÂŁ500) is also on the configurator if you go tor a 4Motion but I didn't see it on the price list.

Double glazed tailgate window and Heated Tailgate window don't go together, or in fact together it goes BANG.
That's why it is a no-cost option.

Hi Richard I'm still waiting for mine so don't hold me to it.
Configurator was not active when I ordered but I did order the laminated glass which is also privacy glass. It is complicated and I don't have enough confidence to confirm how private it is.

Here is a previous thread and you will see how difficult it gets. Perhaps someone who has it will pop up and tell you more.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/laminated-glass-package-in-cab.13264/

On the DCC I was told it was no longer available,

Mike

I found this on Car magazine's website re DCC on a VW Golf GTi. Whilst it may have its uses on a Cali I don't suppose many of us would want to drive one too sportily. It also means you can't spec the heavy duty anti roll bars

"I’d also tick the box marked Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC). It lets you choose from five different driving modes –Comfort, Normal, Sport, Eco and Individual. Hit the symbol on the touchscreen and you instantly tune dampers, steering, engine, transmission, adaptive cruise control, dynamic cornering lights and air conditioning. Great, but you’ll be surprised to hear that not even yours truly would put the drivetrain into Sport. Why? Because that entails early downshifts, late upshifts and an unnecessarily high rev level. Even when you try to maintain a steady throttle position, the black box takes too long to calm down."

Thanks for that Mike and for putting me on to the earlier thread which is very helpful on the glass issue (glass gate??)
The heated rear window anomaly seems to be explained by the glass being reduced to single glazing if you spec the heated rear window. Obviously it seems better to have the extra insulation that double glazing would give you, but does this also mean that it won't mist up ? Even if it won't it will still freeze on the outside won't it? And a heated rear window is just as much, if not more, useful for defrosting on the outside as for delisting on the inside isn't it?

I went for the laminated for sound insulation and a limo feelbut trusting it will be dark enough for us. I believe it will be but time will tell. I can always get it made darker but doubt I will need to. Get mine Sep/Oct.
Quite happy with double glazed back window as I don't tend to drive more using door mirrors and can't see it being a problem. Should be warmer at night.
Hard work isn't it

Mike

Thanks for that Mike and for putting me on to the earlier thread which is very helpful on the glass issue (glass gate??)
The heated rear window anomaly seems to be explained by the glass being reduced to single glazing if you spec the heated rear window. Obviously it seems better to have the extra insulation that double glazing would give you, but does this also mean that it won't mist up ? Even if it won't it will still freeze on the outside won't it? And a heated rear window is just as much, if not more, useful for defrosting on the outside as for delisting on the inside isn't it?
In total agreement. My California is my daily driver. Having said that, firing up the Parking Heater on a frosty morning defrosts the whole vehicle and warms it in about 10-15 minutes. However, I don't think that would defrost the exterior of a double glazed window in that time and as I have to reverse around a corner on my drive I chose the heated rear window.
As far as condensation is concerned, good ventilation and use of the Parking Heater, when required, will sort that.

I have ordered the Cascavel silver diamond turned wheels as a no cost option. Initially dealer told me it was a cost only option but turned out there are three versions, two coloured, black and grey I think, which cost and the plain silver ones, which are the no cost option.
Agree about the price list/configurator options, absolutely terrible and undecipherable .

We have a T5 with the standard double glazed window, and therefore no heated rear window. Never noticed the rear window freezing up because in a Cali you can hardly see out of the rear window anyway - especially if the rear headrests are up. Luckily the side mirrors are massive and heated :)

Even less likely to see out the back window when the rear shelf is covered in pillows, sleeping bags, coats etc...

I went for the laminated for sound insulation and a limo feelbut trusting it will be dark enough for us. I believe it will be but time will tell. I can always get it made darker but doubt I will need to. Get mine Sep/Oct.
Quite happy with double glazed back window as I don't tend to drive more using door mirrors and can't see it being a problem. Should be warmer at night.
Hard work isn't it

Mike
The rear windows with the Z2C laminated option turned out not dark enough to be considered as privacy glass IMO (the dealer agreed), and nothing like the extent of tint described by VW Customer Services either! So I had 20% VLT film added which the dealer kindly contributed to, and now they are spot on for what we want - approaching limo grade but not quite that dark.

Back