Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordered a T6 Ocean today: what you should know

M

M at the W

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We’ve placed a order for a Cali Ocean T6, 199, 4Motion with options today.
We’re pleased with our decision, but thought it worth sharing what we’ve learned in case it helps others considering buying.

The context: we wrestled hard with the decision to buy an end T6 or await the T6.1.
I started a thread on here, and thanks to everyone for your advice:

After reaching out to dealers, the current offers were too good to ignore.

We approached 20+ dealers with blanket emails. Things we’ve learned:
Dealers are offering the equivalent of up to a 12.5% discount on configuration RRP.
This breaks down as a <9% discount, plus each are throwing in a £2250 July order discount.
Plus we got 2 free services.

Norwich
Bristol
Liverpool
Swindon
Reading
Have been extremely helpful and most competitive.
In the current climate, dealers are willing to match each other’s offers, and reduce quotes, so ask them to.

There may be just 3-4 weeks max left to order an end T.6 before the books close.
The differential between a discounted end T6 and T6.1 may be 10-15k+, with significant discounts on the T6.1 not happening for 1-2 years.
VW have secured extra storage for UK destined vehicles, to get them into the country pre-Brexit, and possible tariffs.
If tariffs (of 10.6% I think) do happen, they will be passed on to buyers. But VW will allow buyers to cancel if they are not prepared to pay the extra.
A consequence of this is that VW/dealer network faces holding huge numbers of ordered and built cars, that customers may cancel, and they don’t have haven’t the capacity to do that post Brexit.
So it’s likley that UK-based builds will be prioritised, to get them into the country pre Oct 31.

We suspect this, but dealers have confirmed:
Their lead times for build/delivery depend on their allocation with VW.
Dealers gave us between 6-9 month delivery, to 12 week delivery, indications.
Some of the variation will be due to optimism/realism and sales pitch etc. But much depends on the allocated slots left to each dealer.
Ie some dealers can get their orders built more quickly than others, so it may be realistic to go with those with shorter leads if you want earlier delivery.

In short, we think we may have got a great deal on a tested, iconic model, that may arrive within 12-14 weeks.

We’re very much looking forward to joining the life, and seeing you all on the road.
I’m sure if you await the T6.1 you will have few regrets.
But if you’re thinking about buying now, I’d say reach out to a few dealers (esp those name checked above), don’t be afraid to drive them down, and you should find they are willing to offer excellent value in these remaining weeks of the T6.

Congratulations on getting your order in. I was surprised to hear about the order books closing so soon. I only spoke to Chris at the Liverpool Van Centre a couple of days ago and he advised that there was nothing official yet and it would most likely be in the early stages of next year before the books closed, with the 6.1 coming towards the end of the year.

Thanks MTM84.
Chris (Lpool) may well be right, he’s much more experienced at this than me.
Ours was just based on insights from a couple of dealers; though those ‘insights’ may well have been pressure tactics.
The general vibe we got from many though was they are v keen to deal on T6s, which was evidenced by many backing up discounts with further discounts.

If a 10% price rise should kick in for new models, then the 2nd hand market should see a boost.

If I was upgrading now would go for the last of the T6’s with a full spec.Would always avoid buying the first batch of a new model, as the consumer will be the guinea pig. Any reported faults will be ironed out as new model matures (remember the issues with some of the earlier T5 180bitdi Twin turbo engines when they hit around 60k miles).

+ All this development and they still put the sliding door on the wrong side for the UK market!

About this time of year, every year, the "Books Close" as they transition from MY19 to MY20 this happens over the summer hols and then they start up building MY20 variants.

Have to disagree. Having the sliding door on the same side as the driver is, for me, a plus point. :thumb
I have to agree with you Joker 1299, I think the door is on the best side. It saves having to walk round when you stop i.e. campsites, good for putting the roof away, and it distinguishes the Cali from its peers. If the door were on the near side would we see a increase in thefts whereas the inside fittings would go straight into a UK van. Also I reverse into my garage and the sliding door lines up with my internal inner door to the house. Just works for me.

I have to agree with you Joker 1299, I think the door is on the best side. It saves having to walk round when you stop i.e. campsites, good for putting the roof away, and it distinguishes the Cali from its peers. If the door were on the near side would we see a increase in thefts whereas the inside fittings would go straight into a UK van. Also I reverse into my garage and the sliding door lines up with my internal inner door to the house. Just works for me.
People with conversions often bring this up, it is so easy to walk trough to the front passenger door from the back it is not a problem for most and as you say has some advantages.

The Disadvantage is that is forces the vulnerable (children, elderly , pets etc) to stand in the flow of traffic when getting in/out of the van in busy towns etc, rather than stepping straight onto the pavement. Obviously when camping there is no issue.

Hi, Where did you decide to buy from in the end, Hopefully not Bristol, well having said that Bristol are ok to buy from , PLEASE just dont take it there for any repairs !!! We bought one brand new, march this year. Bristol caused over £5,000 of damage to the interior doing a simple repair, i heard on the grapevine that they have lost a lot of workshop staff recently and have been left with the rubbish unskilled staff !!! you've been warned

If a 10% price rise should kick in for new models, then the 2nd hand market should see a boost.
Rises seem to be between 1 and 3 percent on the Cali, never seen a Cali price jump by 10 percent.
Also, there will still be discounts on the T6.1, probably 6-7.5 percent, current discounts must be to clear the way/stock.

Rises seem to be between 1 and 3 percent on the Cali, never seen a Cali price jump by 10 percent.
Also, there will still be discounts on the T6.1, probably 6-7.5 percent, current discounts must be to clear the way/stock.

The 10% rise was a "Brexit B8llsh*t" indication / scaremongering by dealers to push buyers to make a purchase
.In Reality No-one knows what will happen as its a unique situation now in the hands of Mighty Boris!...but would avoid being pushed into a purchase based on what they think might happen (unless of course they hold a crystal ball!)

i would say buying something now, when you know there is a good discount, as opposed to at some point in the future, when the price will be unknown, is not an unreasonable decision to make. It seems unlikely prices will go down in any case.

i would say buying something now, when you know there is a good discount, as opposed to at some point in the future, when the price will be unknown, is not an unreasonable decision to make. It seems unlikely prices will go down in any case.

Agree - If you are happy then you should buy.

The 10% rise was a "Brexit B8llsh*t" indication / scaremongering by dealers to push buyers to make a purchase
.In Reality No-one knows what will happen as its a unique situation now in the hands of Mighty Boris!...but would avoid being pushed into a purchase based on what they think might happen (unless of course they hold a crystal ball!)

I can’t comment on this notion of 10% price rise Brexit scaremongering by dealers. Havent heard it myself.

What does appear to be known is the UK government has determined that a 10.6% tariff will be placed on imported vehicles in the event of a no-deal Brexit happening on 31 Oct, which is the current default legal position.

If tariffs (of 10.6% I think) do happen, they will be passed on to buyers. But VW will allow buyers to cancel if they are not prepared to pay the extra.
A consequence of this is that VW/dealer network faces holding huge numbers of ordered and built cars, that customers may cancel, and they don’t have haven’t the capacity to do that post Brexit.
Are VW stating on the order that you may cancel at Nil cost and receive all deposit money back in the event import tariffs are imposed if a no deal Brexit occurs?

Have to disagree. Having the sliding door on the same side as the driver is, for me, a plus point. :thumb
I agree - if you’re taller, the fact there is no cupboard behind the RHD driver seat gives precious extra inches of legroom. And if you have children etc getting out of the sliding door it’s generally possible to park that way to the pavement.

I am with you! As I have a Swiss Ocean my sliding door is on the passenger side OK. Problem is between the steering wheel and the sink unit, it is such a bugger to to rotate the driver seat - so we don't bother. In fairness a sales chap did point this out to us before purchase - so fair play - but I wish in wistful moments that it was different...

Are VW stating on the order that you may cancel at Nil cost and receive all deposit money back in the event import tariffs are imposed if a no deal Brexit occurs?
Hi Scanacali
Essentially yes. Have seen it written on proposed order forms from one than one dealer and verbally communicated too. Paperwork seems to vary a lot from dealer to dealer though, so obvs anyone ordering worth checking their own for clarity.

Thanks for that info. Something to check when visiting the dealers.

The Disadvantage is that is forces the vulnerable (children, elderly , pets etc) to stand in the flow of traffic when getting in/out of the van in busy towns etc, rather than stepping straight onto the pavement. Obviously when camping there is no issue.
We don't carry vulnerable people, pets or children. The only time I have had a passenger was the mother in law, so I parked on the other side facing traffic so she could disembark onto the path.

I don't see it as an issue, could be to some.

We’ve placed a order for a Cali Ocean T6, 199, 4Motion with options today.
We’re pleased with our decision, but thought it worth sharing what we’ve learned in case it helps others considering buying.

The context: we wrestled hard with the decision to buy an end T6 or await the T6.1.
I started a thread on here, and thanks to everyone for your advice:

After reaching out to dealers, the current offers were too good to ignore.

We approached 20+ dealers with blanket emails. Things we’ve learned:
Dealers are offering the equivalent of up to a 12.5% discount on configuration RRP.
This breaks down as a <9% discount, plus each are throwing in a £2250 July order discount.
Plus we got 2 free services.

Norwich
Bristol
Liverpool
Swindon
Reading
Have been extremely helpful and most competitive.
In the current climate, dealers are willing to match each other’s offers, and reduce quotes, so ask them to.

There may be just 3-4 weeks max left to order an end T.6 before the books close.
The differential between a discounted end T6 and T6.1 may be 10-15k+, with significant discounts on the T6.1 not happening for 1-2 years.
VW have secured extra storage for UK destined vehicles, to get them into the country pre-Brexit, and possible tariffs.
So it’s likley that UK-based builds will be prioritised, to get them into the country pre Oct 31.

We suspect this, but dealers have confirmed:
Their lead times for build/delivery depend on their allocation with VW.
Dealers gave us between 6-9 month delivery, to 12 week delivery, indications.
Some of the variation will be due to optimism/realism and sales pitch etc. But much depends on the allocated slots left to each dealer.
Ie some dealers can get their orders built more quickly than others, so it may be realistic to go with those with shorter leads if you want earlier delivery.

In short, we think we may have got a great deal on a tested, iconic model, that may arrive within 12-14 weeks.

We’re very much looking forward to joining the life, and seeing you all on the road.
I’m sure if you await the T6.1 you will have few regrets.
But if you’re thinking about buying now, I’d say reach out to a few dealers (esp those name checked above), don’t be afraid to drive them down, and you should find they are willing to offer excellent value in these remaining weeks of the T6.

Interesting post, i too wondered about the 6.1 as the digital dash and assistance features to me are worth having (got them now on a VAG car) but i think it will be a good 18 months before the 'decent spec' vehicles become available. I like toys and a high spec, and Ive managed to grab a 199 4M cali already built coming into the UK unregistered pretty much exactly as we wanted so avoided the long wait although of course have the addition of the VED which stock ones avoid, all its missing is the detachable towbar but that can be retrofit. I 'think' ive got a deal, i certainly tested the market and the discount levels are similar to yours, Hope you enjoy it when you get it, we should have ours soon......

I was on the shelf about whether to wait for the T6.1 or buy a T6. The dealers know its being launched at Dusseldorf, but do not know when it will be available in the UK. They told me that they suspect when launched, there will be a launch model in the showrooms possibly early next year with a defined set of options with the customer specified models available later. So it could be some time before you can order one and then quite a wait to get it.
With the discounts quoted as available in this thread on the current T6, I was tempted to visit a dealer to see what the offers were on the current model. It seems as previously quoted there is a VW contribution of £2250 + 2 free services for cash or alternatively a VW contribution of £2750 + 2 free services if the vehicle is bought on PCP or HP. On top of this there is the dealer discount you negotiate to be added. So all in all, there are big discounts available on the current model if you don't want to wait until next year for a new T6.1. I decided to go for a new Ocean with DSG. Quoted delivery 3-6 months. Deposit is fully refundable should the price increase due to Brexit and you cancel the order. Now just the long wait.

Back