Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ouch!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Just had my first service (where did those 4 years go?) and as it's 4 years had the precaution of cam belt / water pump replacement (what happened to the days when you waited till something broke?) + MOT and check over of all the stuff...
£750 ouch! oh well at least they and returned it foc (50 mile round trip) and washed polished and vacuumed it all as well!
bus is now waiting patiently for us to take her out....2016 adventures beckon....
Four years on and enjoying it as much as day 1 ...

Nice though when it's all pumped and primed and ready to go and better than paying for a repair. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had my first service (where did those 4 years go?) and as it's 4 years had the precaution of cam belt / water pump replacement (what happened to the days when you waited till something broke?) + MOT and check over of all the stuff...
£750 ouch! oh well at least they and returned it foc (50 mile round trip) and washed polished and vacuumed it all as well!
bus is now waiting patiently for us to take her out....2016 adventures beckon....
Four years on and enjoying it as much as day 1 ...

So you've not had an oil change in 4 years??

errrr...no! but have only clocked 21,000 in that time (shame on me I know)
never needed oil topping up either:)

Hmmm ... good value to me!

Ouch 1 - Replacement transfer box in an X5 -Box FOC / 90% contribution off labour cost from BMW UK (Known fault) - Cost to us £450 (inc £180 to tell me what they thought the problem was)

or

Ouch 2 - Electrical problem - Aprillia motorbike + £1100. (Hence the GSA now)

errrr...no! but have only clocked 21,000 in that time (shame on me I know)
never needed oil topping up either:)

I thought it was supposed to be 20k miles or 2 years whichever came first, didnt you get any sort of indicator on the dash that a service was due before now?

£750 is a good price cost me £900

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Glad I got our first 4 services free. 2 as part of the compensation for the screw up on our order and 2 as part of taking the finance package (paid off pretty quickly though given the wonderful way VWFS turn a headline 5% into way more than that).

thinking back maybe they did some stuff at the one year in check over as part of warranty?
the day they came to collect it the message "service due in 6 days" came up on the display!

thinking back maybe they did some stuff at the one year in check over as part of warranty?
the day they came to collect it the message "service due in 6 days" came up on the display!

That's still 3 years without an oil change.
If you plan on selling the vehicle soon then ok, but if you plan on keeping your Cali for a long time then change the oil as advised by the on board indicator or it may and of course thats only a may come back and bite you big time.
My opinion only.

OK you made me go check my records..twas done last Dec when first MOT done
:oops:
this time was the bigger service ....
at what point do those of you with 4+ old Calis decide VW prices are silly and find a trustworthy reputable indie garage?

at what point do those of you with 4+ old Calis decide VW prices are silly and find a trustworthy reputable indie garage?

Regarding general servicing I'd say that answer depends on who you can find locally and what your resale plans are. If you find a good indie locally and keeping it for 6 more years, then go indie now.......
If you are selling it two years, stay with the franchise to maximise your sale price.
BUT I'd always get the cambelt and waterpump done at VW so you know you are getting the proper parts.

Regarding general servicing I'd say that answer depends on who you can find locally and what your resale plans are. If you find a good indie locally and keeping it for 6 more years, then go indie now.......
If you are selling it two years, stay with the franchise to maximise your sale price.
BUT I'd always get the cambelt and waterpump done at VW so you know you are getting the proper parts.
Also you get a 2 yr warranty on the parts fitted by VW.

I do know an excellent local garage with a very good rep specialiises in 4s and 5s...
but I think on balance taking on whats said above prob best to stick with VW then ... and Listers in Cov has always given me excellent service and has dedicated Cali area and technician ....

You. Can get a good deal on purchase of a T6 I got 4 years servicing for £179, sounds like I will save some money.

I used the dealer while it was under warranty but as soon as it expired I took it to my trusted independent who always uses oem parts.
If and when you come to sell you may have a bit of aggro when the buyer realises it's gone 3 years without a service!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

If keeping indefinately then concider using inde. But if any chance you may sell then is worth paying for VW service to maximize value.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You. Can get a good deal on purchase of a T6 I got 4 years servicing for £179, sounds like I will save some money.
Don't bank on it. They will go strictly by the Long Life service schedule, so will really depend on your milage.

Think this completely depends on the service you've had from VW dealer. My personal experience of the St Ives branch was dreadful - didn't trust them a second time at all! They now are no longer a Cali dealership. I've had great service from my independent, but have always used VW parts.

Welshgas, are there different schedules then, I thaught 2 yrs or 20k was standard, how can a long life one be different??either it needs doing or not I would have thaught

I suppose if it's 4 years servicing for £179 then that would be 2 services for most of us - still seems good value, and for the high milers even more so.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Welshgas, are there different schedules then, I thaught 2 yrs or 20k was standard, how can a long life one be different??either it needs doing or not I would have thaught
There are minor and major services and some items are time limited and others are distance limited. On a Dealership service plan they will stick strictly to those limits, so it really depends on your milage etc.
Eg: if you cover a few thousand miles a year, do you want to leave the oil unchanged for 2 years? Personally I would want to change it annually or at 20,000 miles whichever comes first. Fortunately for me both coincide.
But with the VW service plan in 3 years of warranty with low annual milage then you might get 1 oil change. Does the pre-paid service package extend beyond the warrant period? If so fine, if not !

I thought most of the service plans they offered you purchased a number of services. I have been offered one by Lancashire which seemed worthwhile on that basis.