Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Outdoor cooking?

A Cadac grillo chef - it’s the medium sized cadac and you can either use it as a bbq or you can take the hotplate off and use it as a gas hob for pans. About £110 - Comes with a bag but not a regulator or hose. You’ll also need another gas bottle.

Three things we use:
- a small landmann portable bbq with a lid - if allowed where we’re going - roasted many thing on it too
- or if gas only allowed then a Cadac grillo chef 2, which doubles as a bbq or hob and runs off our spare campingaz 907
- or a campingaz super carena burner that screws straight into the spare 907 we carry so avoids another load of gas bottles/cartridges to carry. This is really good and I would highly recommend over the other single burners I’ve tried - power like a home cooker, really small and uses the gas you already have.

I use the following for car camping.

I don't plan to change radically once my California Beach arrives (famous last words)

MSR Whisperlite International (https://www.msrgear.com/whisperlite-international-2012)

great for cold weather and cooking pasta / tea quickly.

plus

Vango Folding Gas stove
(https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/outdoor-trekking-essentials/425-folding-gas-stove.html)

with windshields like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073P59MQ9/?tag=eliteelect-21

Did use the camping gaz dual burner but it takes up a lot of space and isn't very robust (handle fell off etc)

Smelly stuff outside, nonsmelly stuff inside.
Must be interesting at home then. Patio doors to the kitchen, maybe?

I bought a Coleman dual burner Petrol when they were going for around £100. I love the Coleman petrol stuff as it's easy and cheap to get fuel and it's easily serviceable.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000QUIKX8/?tag=eliteelect-21

I also have a Coleman multi fuel camping stove that I've had for around 30 years and that's been all over the world with me but it's currently stripped for some new rubber O rings.

If you can't get petrol you can normally get fuel in outdoor shops but that's a more expensive way of buying it.

Same story as @LemonDrop here, our current setup this:

Since we mainly go to camping sites and they mostly have electricity, we carry along a small induction hob from Ikea: TILLREDA

As a backup when no electricity available we use a small portable gas burner. But we nearly never used it actually.

Our new Beach will come with a Campingaz single stove which will make the burner even more obsolete.

Also we use portable BBQ quite often, from Ikea too: KOPRON

I bought a Coleman dual burner Petrol when they were going for around £100. I love the Coleman petrol stuff as it's easy and cheap to get fuel and it's easily serviceable.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000QUIKX8/?tag=eliteelect-21

I also have a Coleman multi fuel camping stove that I've had for around 30 years and that's been all over the world with me but it's currently stripped for some new rubber O rings.

If you can't get petrol you can normally get fuel in outdoor shops but that's a more expensive way of buying it.

Alternatives to Coleman Fuel: Aspen 4T works really well -- it's much cheaper than Coleman Fuel but (I think) it's the same stuff. Panel wipe is also recommended but haven't tried that.

The problem I've had with petrol is that I've found it clogs my whisperlite so requires frequent cleaning

Last edited:
We love our Cobb (like many around in the Cali world - lots on this forum about them). Not as quick and simple as a Cadac etc, but a joy for cooking on, out in the wilds. Just throw everything in and wait half an hour with a glass in hand.

In fact we've used the Cobb more often than the built-in Cali gas stove. If the weather's so rubbish that we don't want to cook outside (or just park the Cobb outside in the drizzle while enjoying a beer inside), we most often find a pub or cafe to eat in, or get a take-away.

We use a Cobb lovely roasts, pies even cooked a cake . You can also use it as a bar b que . Outside stays cool so can put on a table without scorching anything.

Must be interesting at home then. Patio doors to the kitchen, maybe?
Our kitchen extractor at home expels the smells to just under our neighbours’ bathroom window (no ineffective charcoal filters). Even so, lamb chops are so stinky that we only ever BBQ outside then bring in to eat if eating out is not an option.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

What do you cook outside of your Cali in/on?

Well it depends on where I’m going, length of trip and how much space I have in the van.

Cobb bbq grill/oven: in conjunction with all the Cobb pan/rack accessories and extension rings, Dutch oven, various other pans & racks.

Kellie Kettle: with cooking kit, as a kettle in it’s own right, with the Ghillie Cobb adapter to accelerate the “coals”, cooking over fire with the hobo stove.

Gas camping stoves: 2 ring (calor gas bottle) & 1 ring (cartridge canisters).

Trangia spirit burner: in the Cobb for quick, high heat.

4B08B4D5-652C-4F7B-A0C9-1E84DE434749.jpeg CE3EA6E7-F729-4C21-8BFF-E40DFEA2779A.jpeg 708E46AD-B9C2-4C42-A3C3-03121DCABB9B.jpeg FAF84E40-6CF5-4EFB-9B8E-A26590A7BF2B.jpeg
We use wood stove , had always used oz pig when camping with landrover but decided to change to gstove as it packs away smaller in the Cali,

I really like the Campingaz Party grill, as it cooks surprisingly well. Very compact, can be used on the ground or table and without the grill plate it is a good gas burner. Have another simple gas burner as well.

Got a folding Coleman oven this year and really like it as well. Needs a pizza stone inside for best results.

We use a Cadac Safari Chef (a Christmas present), but we generally cook inside the van unless the weather is really hot.

We had a Cobb many years ago and used it till it burned out. Are now back on basic charcoal bbq both at home and away.