Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Overprotective paranoia !

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Anyone used a camera or dashcam to keep an eye on their pride and joy while parked in a car park ?

Yes I’m a little crazy! Haha

Anyone used a camera or dashcam to keep an eye on their pride and joy while parked in a car park ?

Yes I’m a little crazy! Haha
Me too. Parking mode. and cameras at home.

As a result of our CCTV we had very good pictures of my daughter in laws Fiat Abarth being stolen to order, when combined with a neighbours CCTV, the corner shops, the 6th form college, then town centre & M1 ANPR cameras, police were able to track by video the balaclava wearing scum from our house to 60 odd miles away. It included decent photos without balaclavas, the change in numberplate, their support vehicles numberplate etc etc.

Didn't mean she got the car back though.

We have front/rear Blackvue dashcams which have Parking Mode.

We have front/rear Blackvue dashcams which have Parking Mode.
Hi, I could not get the mobile fitter to install the rear cam, they claimed the 5m cable would not reach back up to the front unit! Nextbase apparently only do a stock 5m cable, so have the front one, and nowt on the rear. Did you install yourself of installation services?

Thanks

Richie

Hi, I could not get the mobile fitter to install the rear cam, they claimed the 5m cable would not reach back up to the front unit! Nextbase apparently only do a stock 5m cable, so have the front one, and nowt on the rear. Did you install yourself of installation services?

Thanks

Richie
I used Satnav Systems in Surbiton to fit mine. They did need to a longer cable to the rear but think they may have used an extension. Was an all day job.

I bought this a few weeks ago, it’s on trail on top of the fridge.
Box is plugged into the EcoFlow so I can monitor how many watts it uses every day.
Need to work out how I hard wire the hardwire kit in for it.
Needs an ignition live, which I need to find somewhere under the passenger seat.
Then the permanent live I’ll pick up from passenger seat batt.
The box bit will live in the wardrobe.

Just found this item on AliExpress. £457.40 | YYHC blackvue lipstick Ji DR770 BOX driving recorder three-lens 360-degree panoramic recording parking monitoring

I have a Nextbase front and rear, managed to install myself with 5m cable, can see it in a couple of places but fits ok. Also have a Ring Camera inside the van looking out, connected to my home Wi-Fi For when it’s on the driveway.

Thanks

Richie
They are right - the 6m one that comes with it does not reach. I had to buy a 10m one. They were easy enough to buy online. The rear camera is a PIG to install properly with wires hidden etc. My hands still bear the scars.

Thanks

Richie
We needed to buy a longer cable too when fitting the Blackvue rear cam.

Thanks

Richie
I had a scorpian tracker fitted when van was new. Guy Fitted a nextbase camera front and rear cable was well long enough to reach the back. Cracking job fished down the left side roof lining cover. Popped the lights out then through the back of the wardrobe. He drilled a hidden hole in the tailgate Can’t see any of the cable

4d

As a result of our CCTV we had very good pictures of my daughter in laws Fiat Abarth being stolen to order, when combined with a neighbours CCTV, the corner shops, the 6th form college, then town centre & M1 ANPR cameras, police were able to track by video the balaclava wearing scum from our house to 60 odd miles away. It included decent photos without balaclavas, the change in numberplate, their support vehicles numberplate etc etc.

Didn't mean she got the car back though.
Wow, it appears that Bedfordshire Police do a lot more than our local force! (or should that be farce) They would have never bothered going to all that trouble for a stolen car, they'd just give a crime number.
My sister & brother in law are both serving officers and my pal is a first responder, they all tell me that these low lives always wear hoodies or balaclavas. They also tell me they are far too under resourced to investigate single thefts even with pictures. Sadly their view is, CCTV offers absolutely no deterrent to thieves and just makes your loss feel even worse when you can see it happen. Maybe they are over cynical with what they deal with on a daily basis or it's the reality of the times we live in. My view is if my Cali is taken, I'd not want to see it being taken or want it back as I'd get new for old with my insurance. My old Golf GTI was stolen and recovered and it never felt the same again and I was glad when it ultimately went.

I know some think it’s a waste of time but for a small price you can get a VINChip pack for added security. Comes with 2 RFID tags that you hide in the vehicle that the police can remotely read (even when moving). The tags identify the vehicle regardless of what number plates are fitted. Also comes with clear security labels for each window.

Hello,

Depending were we are I put up a small camera, covering the sliding and driver door.

To make this working I have a Teltronika RUTx12 router (always on) and got the camera "OneCam" (cheap EUR 50.00 cam). The video quality is ok, battery lasts rather long.

With the OneCame came an app that allows me to check now and then.

Also I got the "Pandora Camper Mini" installed. It does not have an inside monitor (they say it is a wee bit too late at this time) it does noticed shocks (short alarm) and a bigger shock will trigger a full alarm (also if any of the doors were opened). At this point I can check the camera, get back to the camper, or if i am too far away contact the Garda / Police.

Pandora also has an "Inside (Home) Setting". That allows us to switch the alarm on while we are asleep. At this point it won't register "shocks" only if a door / window opens.

And last it has a tracker, which is rather handy because I can see where the camper is at any time.

Regards,
Eberhard

Wow, it appears that Bedfordshire Police do a lot more than our local force! (or should that be farce) They would have never bothered going to all that trouble for a stolen car, they'd just give a crime number.
My sister & brother in law are both serving officers and my pal is a first responder, they all tell me that these low lives always wear hoodies or balaclavas. They also tell me they are far too under resourced to investigate single thefts even with pictures. Sadly their view is, CCTV offers absolutely no deterrent to thieves and just makes your loss feel even worse when you can see it happen. Maybe they are over cynical with what they deal with on a daily basis or it's the reality of the times we live in. My view is if my Cali is taken, I'd not want to see it being taken or want it back as I'd get new for old with my insurance. My old Golf GTI was stolen and recovered and it never felt the same again and I was glad when it ultimately went.
Even though I live in a low crime neighbourhood, I had an Autowatch Ghost II Immobiliser fitted to my Cali 6 months ago. It gives me peace of mind when out & about.

I don’t believe beds police were proactive, it was community members that did the leg work along with a local councillor stirring things up.

We tracked down the cctv and a number of surveillance cameras, got in touch with the owners & operators & gave them a 5 minute window & asked them to check their recordings for that time. Without exception they were all happy to confirm they had film but couldn’t show us but were happy to upload it to the police.

Once we provided that info on a plate for them it was not unreasonable to expect them to at least have a look.

It was a different scenario to expecting police to do a lot of legwork & spending hours going through tapes.

I can’t say too much, but it ended up with a number of forces being involved.

It’s a sad realisation that the antidote to theft and fraud is insurance, not law enforcement.

Even if the police could build a cast iron case, the law courts had a backlog of 62,000 cases at the end of 2022, prisons are full,, so the chance of getting justice is minimal.

Cameras may have a role in RTIs, but in catching and punishing criminals, I fear none.

Even if the police could build a cast iron case, the law courts had a backlog of 62,000 cases at the end of 2022, prisons are full,, so the chance of getting justice is minimal.
Yes large courts backlogs are widely reported in the press but important to understand that those are for trials in Crown Courts. But many (most?) vehicle theft cases will be suitable for magistrates courts and can be dealt with swiftly there. Where there is strong evidence, the defendant will often plead guilty at first appearance in court, in which case no trial is necessary and sentencing can proceed immediately.

No one would deny that the whole courts system is under pressure. I'm just saying people should not be led to believe that there's no point in reporting crimes. There is.

Yes large courts backlogs are widely reported in the press but important to understand that those are for trials in Crown Courts. But many (most?) vehicle theft cases will be suitable for magistrates courts and can be dealt with swiftly there. Where there is strong evidence, the defendant will often plead guilty at first appearance in court, in which case no trial is necessary and sentencing can proceed immediately.

No one would deny that the whole courts system is under pressure. I'm just saying people should not be led to believe that there's no point in reporting crimes. There is.
I agree

Interesting to note that there’s around 130,000 car thefts a year, 7% result in a prosecution. That’s considerably higher than I imagined.

In the case of car theft, it’s very difficult to make an insurance claim without getting a crime number. Hence we can have a lot of confidence in the 130k figure.

I agree

Interesting to note that there’s around 130,000 car thefts a year, 7% result in a prosecution. That’s considerably higher than I imagined.

In the case of car theft, it’s very difficult to make an insurance claim without getting a crime number. Hence we can have a lot of confidence in the 130k figure.

Theres an estimated 1,000,000 uninsured cars on the road, thats an awful lot that could be stolen & not bothered to report.

I agree

A good percentage of that 130,000 will be fraudulent claims.