Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Attempted theft of my Cali 5am today

Still , if one has fitted a few wheel clamps that’s a lot of noise with the grinder and that’s before they get in the Cali when they have to then face an alarm going off and then hack off the heavy duty locks ...probably too much time in all to be successful ... then of course if they are there are all the trackers to find and hidden Immobilisers , which I have learnt can be very tiny ....

So on a more positive note ...if we buy all this security kit we can really slow them down ...

Ps .. forgot if there are cameras all this under surveillance too

What ever happened to the old crook lock between the steering wheel and brake pedal??
Were subject to getting twisted off with a Mole wrench.
Most likely with the advent of adjustable steering columns it meant that the steering wheel needed to be in it's nearest to the brake pedal position to be fully secure. Your leg may be blocked in. Just a thought.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
IMG_1959.jpg As I saw you were in South London, and as a year ago I had the same experience at 5 in the morning with a couple of balaclava'd individuals attempting to get through the front window of the house looking for the keys to my golf... I have decided to add a little more security... not sure it'll make much difference as the couple in question seemed very happy to make a lot of noise trying to get through the front window, so I think they would have been happy to tackle me when in.... But now I have a couple of steering wheel locks on both van and car, this new wheel clamp, and cameras out the front.... (although the cameras would only have shown the balaclava's.... !!) If they want the cars after that... they can have them

Now where did I put all the keys????????????

Oh I also changed all the windows of the house...... this is getting expensive

Shame you didn't have a paintball gun (marker ;) ) handy...

I was thinking along the lines of a crossbow!

In all seriousness, this problem seems to be getting out of control. You would think we have the capability to stop these gangs stealing high value vehicles, putting them in containers and shipping abroad.

It seems that the problem is expanding as the 'Joy riding' yooofs have cottoned on to the simple break in - get keys - have some free fun method of getting mobile.
Hopefully they'll stick to going for performance cars and not be looking for a passion-wagon. Doesn't bear thinking about.

They aren't worried about noise or being caught as the odds of the Police responding quickly are in their favour.

These gangs know the chance of the police investigating is so slim, I think many criminals are simply getting braver and more confident. Can only hope we get more funding for our police forces so they can properly deter crime.

View attachment 30257 As I saw you were in South London, and as a year ago I had the same experience at 5 in the morning with a couple of balaclava'd individuals attempting to get through the front window of the house looking for the keys to my golf...
Scary - that's our end of London too. We will have to review security when we return home. A few years ago we had the catalytic converter cut out and stolen from under our car. We had to sell the car for scrap.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

This is really worrying. I’ve been adjusting to driving a van and have a scrape down left hand side (first week) and another little prang near the front. I saw a lovely, sparkley, Cali the other day which inspired me to sort out my body work but on reading this I’m inclined to keep the scrapes as a deterrent.

This is really worrying. I’ve been adjusting to driving a van and have a scrape down left hand side (first week) and another little prang near the front. I saw a lovely, sparkley, Cali the other day which inspired me to sort out my body work but on reading this I’m inclined to keep the scrapes as a deterrent.
And remember not to wash it as well :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Having done some research, I think we are going to have an Autowatch Ghost fitted..

That looks like an excellent way to reduce the risk of theft, but does nothing to deter theft attempts in the first place.

Was it @CALI FATE who had his yellow Beach destroyed by crooks who failed to steal the vehicle?

That looks like an excellent way to reduce the risk of theft, but does nothing to deter theft attempts in the first place.

Was it @CALI FATE who had his yellow Beach destroyed by crooks who failed to steal the vehicle?

True but there is not a single solution or a magic bullet. This is specifically to address the issue of more sophisticated thefts.

Mike

True but there is not a single solution or a magic bullet. This is specifically to address the issue of more sophisticated thefts.
I see that - and the more sophisticated crook is less likely to do the damage inflicted on Califate's Beach.

Perhaps the immobiliser in conjunction with a driveway bollard would do the trick.

The Ghost is a great bit of kit. Can’t drive even with keys. Also can’t start / drive away if engine has been stopped but key not removed.

The Ghost is a great bit of kit. Can’t drive even with keys. Also can’t start / drive away if engine has been stopped but key not removed.
It sounds good, but they have an iPhone app that "can allow you to enter your vehicle with your phone & that will authorize startup without having to press further buttons". It seems to me that anyone who has pinched your keys won't be fussed about pinching your phone as well, so that isn't much good.

I'm also not convinced that I want to prevent any professional thieves from leaving in my van. If they have burgled my house for the keys, what's to stop them 'persuading' me to disable the immobiliser?

It sounds good, but they have an iPhone app that "can allow you to enter your vehicle with your phone & that will authorize startup without having to press further buttons". It seems to me that anyone who has pinched your keys won't be fussed about pinching your phone as well, so that isn't much good.

I'm also not convinced that I want to prevent any professional thieves from leaving in my van. If they have burgled my house for the keys, what's to stop them 'persuading' me to disable the immobiliser?
Well don’t use the app, it’s just an option. Personally I’m more than happy to stop an opportunist nicking my van. It would be a great shame if I lost my van but I feel as standard it’s well defended. I park mine on the street and never worry because life if too short. IMO.

Last edited:
Just don't forget the button code sequence!
Even with my memory after a week it becomes so instinctive it's hard to forget. Just write it down if it's a worry. Had it fitted to my car as was a crims fast car of choice. Not even bothered to fit to the van as so many nicer Cali's in my street. If I had a driveway to park it and didn't have a big dog, I'd fit one for sure.

There are many ways for the key to get into the wrong hands. Friend had her bag taken in a bar and car was outside. The must have just pressed the fob and thought Bingo! Car got taken. With a Ghost fitted it would only be the key that needed replacing.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Having done some research, I think we are going to have an Autowatch Ghost fitted..
What is the cost fitted ?
Is there a way of turning it off for when you go for an MOT or tyres or service.

When it´s activated do the ignition lights come on for the new to be Cali thief or
is everything dead ? So could it be overridden through the OBD ?

At the moment i´m thinking about a fuel pump isolator switch and a tracker.
So if it ever gets nicked, they won´t get far and then they´ll leave it where it stops.