Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Packing Your Cali For A Trip Some Thoughts

John

John

VIP Member
Just some thoughts and ideas I have had about packing the Cali for a trip.

Every trip will require different items so when packing be flexible and only take what you need.

Also be flexible and pack for the drive to your destination in a efficient way. By this I mean use the loading space efficiently. You will be unpacking items into your tent or awning when you arrive at your destination. You can then move the other items to your preferred location for day trips, eating, and sleeping in your Cali.

The Cali has been cleverly designed in that the rear bench seat has been designed with integral seat belts and can be moved forward to any position you like. This will increase the rear load space enormously. So being flexible with the rear bench seat and moving it forward for your journey to destination will give you so much more room to pack items.

Pack the heavy items on the floor and the light bulky items like bedding on the rear shelf.

Use plastic boxes to pack items as it will make the packing unpacking easier, you will be able to find things, and you can use the boxes in your awning or tent as a extra shelf.

I use the Wardrobe for coats and a small rucksack as it is easily accessible. Also I find a soft holdall type bag is ideal for keeping extra clothing and reading books as it can sit on top of the side units at night when the bed is made up. However do use one that does not have a bottom that will scratch the glass tops.

The overhead locker is ideal for your reading and cooking books, kindle, toilet bags, towels, socks etc when you are on site as it is easily accessible when the bed or table is made up. When travelling it is good for kids items like games DS or books etc. Also for your dogs bits like bowls and food.

I always carry a small Water container with fresh water behind the passenger seat for Tea Coffee on our journey and Water for our Dogs.

Think about when you arrive on site what you need to unpack first and try to pack these items last in a location where you can get to them first on site.

Finally think about having access to the things you will need on your journey. There is nothing worse then having to take the bikes off the bike rack to open the tailgate to empty the boot to get to the tea bags at the bottom of a food box which is buried at the bottom of the rear of your Cali.

Finally why don't you seasoned Cali travelers share your ideas for getting a Cali packed up for a long trip.

John

Intersting read John. We are "seasoned" c*r*v*n*rs so are aware of packing properly but never quite seem to get it right! Sometimes that's just down to complacency!
It is important to get it right though and think about what you need and when otherwise it can be a real pain. We have had one night away so far and learned a lot about the mistakes we made storage wise. We are now heading into the "season" so will no doubt tinker!

Looking forward to this thread developing........

We use Ebags for packing our clothes. They're soft so don't scratch the Cali. There's 4 of us in the van and we each have our own colour of bag, so when they're stored in the wardrobe we know which one we're looking for. Another big plus is even after a week of being chucked in and out of the wardrobe, the clothes still come out perfectly ironed! Taa daa :thumb

Ebag link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/eBags-Packing-C ... 803&sr=1-1

Cathy
Chief wardrobe and kitchen unit packer for the Mee family :lol:

Dubcrazy said:
We use Ebags for packing our clothes. They're soft so don't scratch the Cali. There's 4 of us in the van and we each have our own colour of bag, so when they're stored in the wardrobe we know which one we're looking for. Another big plus is even after a week of being chucked in and out of the wardrobe, the clothes still come out perfectly ironed! Taa daa :thumb

Ebag link:

Cathy

Thanks for that Cathy I've ordered some of those :smile

Thanks for the tip John, I'll take a look next time I'm in ikea. They look pretty sturdy judging from the picture with the wheel in it! Do you know if they do different sizes? Need something to put the notebook Barbie in as the one it came with is super naff.

Cathy.

Imagine a van with everything neatly packed in its own little storage bag ....mmmh bliss :p

We used the Eagle Creek versions of the e-bags and found them excellent, the big ones will take 8 or 9 t-shirts and the smaller ones are great for knickers and socks. We had 2 large ones on the two lower shelves above the gas cylinder and a few smaller ones on the top shelf.

By raising the back bed shelf (we didn't use the bed) we got the wife's Brompton bike in easily (folded of course). We lined the back floor space with a cut-up karrimat which stopped stuff sliding around and probably deadened noise too.

The lesson from our long trip was "don't take too much". We could have done easily with half the clothes, cups, glasses and cutlery we took, if not less.

McMeefia said:

Ebag link:

Cathy
Great Tip
Thanks

Back