Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Personal Best!

Aidy P

Aidy P

Don't play that 'What If?' game, you'll never win!
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just managed to change all 5 wheels to my winter steels in less that an hour. That’s including to the correct torque and tyre pressure. It’s the fastest I’ve managed it in the last four years :)

(As usual swapping the spare took the longest)

A few tips...
  • Reverse onto chocks to change the spare.
  • Remove the towball before changing the spare.
  • Use a breaker bar.
  • Grease your bolts every year.
  • Use a trolley jack if you can as it’s so much easier than the supplied jack.
  • Use a torque wrench set at 180

Which bolts? I don't believe wheel nuts should be greased.

Small amount of copper grease on the wheel nuts (Carlube brand). Was advised to do it by a garage with all the salt we get on our roads. Has always worked for me.

Small amount of copper grease on the wheel nuts (Carlube brand). Was advised to do it by a garage with all the salt we get on our roads. Has always worked for me.
Starting the copper slip wheel nut thread again. Please no.

Just managed to change all 5 wheels to my winter steels in less that an hour. That’s including to the correct torque and tyre pressure. It’s the fastest I’ve managed it in the last four years :)

(As usual swapping the spare took the longest)

A few tips...
  • Reverse onto chocks to change the spare.
  • Remove the towball before changing the spare.
  • Use a breaker bar.
  • Grease your bolts every year.
  • Use a trolley jack if you can as it’s so much easier than the supplied jack.
  • Use a torque wrench set at 180
Swapping the spare?

Any grease on the wheel bolts and the torque setting will not be correct.

I think the OP was referring to the bolt holding the spare wheel to the underside in the carrier, which can get corroded and seize when needed the most. Well I was hoping that way.

Did I mention don't resurrect the grease/copper slip wheel bolt thread :Iamsorry .

[QUOTE="
Did I mention don't resurrect the grease/copper slip wheel bolt thread :Iamsorry .
[/QUOTE]

You did but folks tend not to read or have seen previous threads and I think this is important.

I will leave it with you :headbang And I don't mean that in a bad way.

Don't use copper, that is metal, and different metals together oxidate......

You can put the wheel wrench in the round hole in the spare wheel carrier. Free tip!

Oh, I wil definately NOT remove my towball! I have a fixed towbar. That would mean, or cutting the ball, or removing the towbar completely!

I must admit, when just flat on the ground, the spare wheel doesn't really fit between the towbar and the ground :confused:. I then have to swirl the wheel around the towbar. But I don't have the small ramps with me when not on holidays.

I just have the same spare all year round for both winter and summer tyres.
I use Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tyres in the winter as I use the van in the snow. I wouldn’t want these as a spare when I’m travelling across Europe in the summer. They’d probably melt

Back