Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pet passport after BREXIT

I’ve spoken to a UK breeder who has dogs on passports from different EU countries - but I suspect it may be related to where they were imported from.
I travel regularly (or did, and hope to start doing so again) to NL and will also be enquiring about getting dutch passports for my guys.
Definitely worth looking into I think.
Our Reggie is going to a Dutch vets next Tuesday for his pre-departure worming. I will ask the vet what their understanding is. We too are regularly in NL and it would be a great help. We went via France and 10 days in Germany to get here. No interest in us, or Reg, from any officials, campsite owners or hoteliers anywhere after Eurotunnel. We have been warmly welcomed everywhere.

Be nice to get back to Hull to Rotterdam on P&O again. Do you use DFDS from Newcastle? What’s it like?

Incidentally to add to what others said, we paid £180 to our regular vet for the AHC. It involved no examination of the dog at all. She also informed us that it’s going to up to £250 - ‘a government thing, we’ve no choice…’, though I suspect that that’s not quite the case.

He’s going back to NL three weeks after arriving home. Suddenly starts to get cheaper to leave him in kennels. Not that we would…

Another question, now that Reggie’s EU passport is obsolete, where does the Dutch vet record the worming treatment? On the AHC?

The reason I ask, my vet told me this process is no longer required as the AHC effectively replace it.
I was shot down on here previously arguing this point but I’m still not convinced.

This article or comments below suggest you don't need a AHC to re-enter the UK as the UK is still accepting dog EU passports. I will be in Ireland for the next 2 weeks and will also be checking it out

This article or comments below suggest you don't need a AHC to re-enter the UK as the UK is still accepting dog EU passports. I will be in Ireland for the next 2 weeks and will also be checking it out

Comments below to save you scrolling through ads:

Does anyone know?
If you live in the EU and have an EU pet passport and take your pet to the UK for a visit, is the pet passport still valid for re-entering the EU

FR
frenchDaveJuly 7, 2021
Reply to johnburn58
Yes, all you need to do is the usual worm treatment for a UK visit.
Even if you live in the UK & your pet has an EU 'issued' pet passport (e.g. in France), it can travel on that as opposed to the AHC. Americans (i.e. not EU-based) have been doing this for some time, as they swap in their pets health cert. for an EU pet passport when they're doing an EU-UK-EU extended tour.
As long as only an “authorized veterinarian,” meaning an authorized EU vet administers & fills in the rabies vaccinations sections listed in the passport, & those vaccinations never lapse, the passport lasts the lifetime of the pet. Only if/when an unauthorized vet fills in those sections does the passport become invalid - so don't let a UK vet go near it!

I guess one thing to bear in mind if going down this route, I believe the EU rabies jab is only valid for one year as opposed to three here in the UK.

Another question, now that Reggie’s EU passport is obsolete, where does the Dutch vet record the worming treatment? On the AHC?

The reason I ask, my vet told me this process is no longer required as the AHC effectively replace it.
I was shot down on here previously arguing this point but I’m still not convinced.
On the animal health certificate according to the UK govt website. There’s a box for it on page 4 of the AHC and an instruction to the vet to complete that table on page 7 and then on page 8 there’s this explanation which appears to suggest that the worming does not need to be done by an official veterinarian. I hope this helps. I’ll report back on this thread when we’ve been.

206E115F-980B-482B-BBDA-DE8D9B1B886D.jpeg

I have just got a Spanish passport for Pippa.
All above correct, not to be touched by a Uk vet. Need rabies jab every year. But you can as with the old English one record all treatment in there and I think we spent around £45. So next year around £30??

AND the animal health certificate I got was incomplete as I found at Dover…. To be fair the vet took an hour on it and it was his first one. Never again…. So just need to keep it up to date…. It’s the way to go.. It’s interesting that the vet asked for her passport to fill in the certificate….

I have just got a Spanish passport for Pippa.
All above correct, not to be touched by a Uk vet. Need rabies jab every year. But you can as with the old English one record all treatment in there and I think we spent around £45. So next year around £30??

AND the animal health certificate I got was incomplete as I found at Dover…. To be fair the vet took an hour on it and it was his first one. Never again…. So just need to keep it up to date…. It’s the way to go.. It’s interesting that the vet asked for her passport to fill in the certificate….
What happened at Dover? I had similar years ago. Rocked up only find Italian vet had stamped on the wrong page!! Hours of calls/faxes/DEFFRA etc. Eventually we got across.

What happened at Dover? I had similar years ago. Rocked up only find Italian vet had stamped on the wrong page!! Hours of calls/faxes/DEFFRA etc. Eventually we got across.
I was very lucky, it was the ferry people who found the error and they just told me. No one other than them looked at ANY of the documentation I had amassed for the trip. Feel so much more confident with our new Spanish passport.