Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EHU Cable Question

Yes, sorry, you answering my question to the OP threw me off..
I probably completely ignore forum etiquette due to sheer ignorance!

• Haha
Reactions: Loz
Hi all,
Thanks to all replied. Hopefull below will answer everything.
@Loz So the photo from the earlier post @vbk1975 this is the EU connection I have from the shorter original VW extension that comes with the Cali. I've connected the EHU cable (From Toughleads) to this using the blue Mennekes connectors, and then the EU 2-pin to the 3-pin EU conversion plug, and then in to my wall socket (which I'm 99.9999% is all earthed correctly)
Can I now take it that to eliminate this "electrical shock" experience I will now order the 3-pin to Blue connection for charging at home?

IMG_5543.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

IMG_5545.jpg

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

Hi all,
Thanks to all replied. Hopefull below will answer everything.
@Loz So the photo from the earlier post @vbk1975 this is the EU connection I have from the shorter original VW extension that comes with the Cali. I've connected the EHU cable (From Toughleads) to this using the blue Mennekes connectors, and then the EU 2-pin to the 3-pin EU conversion plug, and then in to my wall socket (which I'm 99.9999% is all earthed correctly)
Can I now take it that to eliminate this "electrical shock" experience I will now order the 3-pin to Blue connection for charging at home?

View attachment 79175

View attachment 79176

View attachment 79177

View attachment 79178

View attachment 79179

View attachment 79180
Just for clarity, does the white UK adaptor have the Earth connections.

like this (extra brass tab is the earth)?

1622129146091.png

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
@vbk1975 :-( Looks like not......Looks like it's either missing or non-existent. I will now order another, including the blue connection cable extension with 3-pin not 2 pin for UK charging. I'm assuming this is the issue therefore. Thank you.

IMG_5549.jpg

@vbk1975 :-( Looks like not......Looks like it's either missing or non-existent. I will now order another, including the blue connection cable extension with 3-pin not 2 pin for UK charging. I'm assuming this is the issue therefore. Thank you.

View attachment 79182
Throw that away :) no earth, and yes your new purchase will cure your issue.

Hmm something doesn’t seem quite right. If I disconnect the earth from the hook up I wouldn’t expect to feel a touch voltage (<50v) on the van bodywork.

Hmm something doesn’t seem quite right. If I disconnect the earth from the hook up I wouldn’t expect to feel a touch voltage (<50v) on the van bodywork.
The earth connection at the input socket on the side of the Cali is connected directly to the body of the vehicle just behind the socket. The 13 amp socket must have the earth similarly connected to the steel body of the van as will the charger, although I haven't investigated this.

If the 2 pin euro cable is used with an adaptor without an earth connection (as in this case) then the van is not earthed at all. Any voltage leakage of the mains-powered equipment on board (can be just a single strand of stray wire inside a plug or item of kit) may well be felt if you touch the steel of the body of the vehicle when on hook-up.

Alan

Precisely what I was meaning. There is stray voltage somewhere that shouldn’t be there. It’s only not tripping the RCD (CPC assumed present) because its equal to or less than 50v. Once whatever is leaking deteriorates then there will be spurious tripping.

I wouldn't discount static as the cause. No earth to the van and vacuuming which creates a static charge. See lots of it at work with industrial vacuums, people insist it's faulty and they got a "mains" shock. It was static in all cases.

Back