Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pinging noise from T5

Debcel

Debcel

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have an intermittent pinging noise that happens just after we turn on the engine and as we're driving along if we stop or slow down. We're not sure where it's coming from-whether driver or passenger side. It's erratic and sometimes pings once or twice and on other occasions for several times. It's like the warning ping if you don't have your seatbelt on but we get no messages on the screen. We've checked that all doors and the tailgate are shut. I've searched various threads but can't find anything similar. Any ideas before we take it in to SMG?

Sure you checked this, but we get a pinging noise when we turn off the motor but have left the headlights on.

We have an intermittent pinging noise that happens just after we turn on the engine and as we're driving along if we stop or slow down. We're not sure where it's coming from-whether driver or passenger side. It's erratic and sometimes pings once or twice and on other occasions for several times. It's like the warning ping if you don't have your seatbelt on but we get no messages on the screen. We've checked that all doors and the tailgate are shut. I've searched various threads but can't find anything similar. Any ideas before we take it in to SMG?
Anything on the Control Panel?

It’s like that noise but happens
Sure you checked this, but we get a pinging noise when we turn off the motor but have left the headlights on.
without the lights on

Have we got a full list of what generates a Ping ?
My starter list would be:

Lights left on
Door open
Roof not closed
Still hooked up whilst starting engine
Hand brake on
Possibly, bonnet not shut
Seatbelt
Sliding door operating, if electric

I'm not sure if the Bonnet not being 100% shut generates a ping or just shows the line on the MFD. If it does that would be my favourite for being the problem, with the actuating switch needing adjustment.

No traffic program when TP is enabled on the head unit..
Dash cam
Have we got a full list of what generates a Ping ?
My starter list would be:

Lights left on
Door open
Roof not closed
Still hooked up whilst starting engine
Hand brake on
Possibly, bonnet not shut
Seatbelt
Sliding door operating, if electric

I'm not sure if the Bonnet not being 100% shut generates a ping or just shows the line on the MFD. If it does that would be my favourite for being the problem, with the actuating switch needing adjustment.
Thanks. We’ll check the bonnet and roof as we’ve gone through the others and they’re not the cause.

No traffic program when TP is enabled on the head unit..
Dash camera
I removed the dash can as that was my first thought. No idea about the TP but will look into it. Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. We’ve checked everything that’s been suggested and, having gone through the control panel again, we think it is something to do with the roof/battery. We hadn’t put the roof up for a while ( or used the van for over 3 weeks) and, although it looks fully closed, there’s obviously a problem somewhere. I couldn’t upload the ping!

I’ve also read some earlier relevant threads. We’ll get the roof up and do a thorough search for foreign objects and then maybe look at closing down the control panel. Thanks again for all the comments.

Thanks for all the replies. We’ve checked everything that’s been suggested and, having gone through the control panel again, we think it is something to do with the roof/battery. We hadn’t put the roof up for a while ( or used the van for over 3 weeks) and, although it looks fully closed, there’s obviously a problem somewhere. I couldn’t upload the ping!
Have you checked the hidden VW diagnostic menu on the Control Panel?

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear . Make a note of any codes.

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

9. Switch off using the L lower button. Wait 30 secs and switch on using L lower button.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Hi

Did you get to the bottom of this? I have exactly the same issue - pinging when setting off. Just picked up van after having lots of work (cam belt, break discs, parking sensors) but I don’t think it made noise on way home, started the next day. Will try some of suggestions

Thanks

Hi

Did you get to the bottom of this? I have exactly the same issue - pinging when setting off. Just picked up van after having lots of work (cam belt, break discs, parking sensors) but I don’t think it made noise on way home, started the next day. Will try some of suggestions

Thanks
Sounds exactly like the ‘roof open’ alarm. Is the symbol flashing in the control panel screen?

Happens when the roof sensors fail. Hopefully not.

Sometimes just turning the control panel off and on again clears it. Yes I know, really! Otherwise do what Welshgas suggests above

Hi

Sorry for late reply. Yes roof motor had gone so roof alarm permanently on. VW Liverpool took my control panel out so I could use van. Wanted £1000 to mend. In end I changed my van and next person mended it.

Julie

Back